• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Another XJ on tons, coilovers, 42's, etc. Build

14183853_10102999616865743_6229081081550123757_n_zpstdeosaeb.jpg

14102740_10102999620468523_4986061407530874263_n_zpsty6nmnho.jpg

14203272_10102999614754973_975235128586188604_n_zpssl2fuoj1.jpg

14212165_10102999614809863_2373419033878494201_n_zpsevpazaxg.jpg

Video of the exit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrH2IKD-Gh/?taken-by=in4aride

By far my favorite build on NAXJA.

You may have taken a lot longer than some of us, but the end result is something you can really be proud of.

Fantastic work dude.

dc controllers working okay or was it just relay issues? Was thinking of running them. Have you considered a circuit breaker with either a manual or auto reset? I've been looking for a solid state relay in the 80 amp range but haven't found anything yet.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, been a long road but it's nice to be pretty well...done :laugh:

dc controllers working okay or was it just relay issues? Was thinking of running them. Have you considered a circuit breaker with either a manual or auto reset? I've been looking for a solid state relay in the 80 amp range but haven't found anything yet.

I'm pretty sure it's a relay issue. Crap imported relays = crap for running.

I have two circuit breakers for my switch panel, however I don't want one for my fan(s).

Reason being, when I'm wheeling, it's not something I'd notice popped out. Even if I had an LED letting me know it did, it might be too long with the fan off before I notice.

When I pull the dash panel, I'll see if it was the relay. I'm 99.99% sure it is, just like it was last time.

I'll just use what I've seen many others use for it/various applications:

Cole Hersee 24117 Red 12V Continuous Duty SPST Solenoid

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FQL444/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I did have one other electrical failure of sorts...the passenger side heat seater rocker switch stopped working 100% :laugh:

It will turn it onto low, but not onto high. So i'll need to find another :laugh:

Other than that, the only plans I have left at the moment are:

- Mounting a rear tranny cooler with fan. I'll be going with the Derale 13870 unit. I should be able to fit in the rear, mounted flat under the fuel cell and action packer.

- Add the old tranny cooler inline with my full hydro

- Add some LED lighting (dome lights, rock lights, a couple of pods up front)

- Get rid of the clear coat runs (razor blade and sand paper), and buff her back up :D

Other than that...getting a lot of missed wheeling done!

Yeah I had looked into those, but I need something that will just work :laugh:

Normally, you run the power feed from the fan controller, straight to the fan.

I'm essentially running extra stuff for extra control ability and backup.

Got the solenoid in the other day. I've got a run coming up on the 15th, and ill keep everything as is for now.

I'll look at getting the new trans cooler in, and this installed here during the winter.

For now, I need to focus on the trailer, truck, and getting the interior of my shop insluated and paneled :D

Wheeler Lake ...pretty ambitious trail for a buggy on 40s.

I do not usually buy mags , but will have to grab this one since your rig is in it .

I don't think "ambitious" is the word you were looking for, maybe more like meager? :laugh:

We wanted somewhere that was scenic as well, and not too crowded.

As well for me, I wanted to go back there to propose, since it's where the whole mag shoot proposition got started.

So after about a 3.5 month hiatus...she's back in the shop to CRANK for EJS.

20170305_194211_zpse73shfht.jpg

This list looks something like:
- Mount, plumb and wire new Trans Cooler
- Plumb old trans cooler into Hydro
- Redo Wiring, Remount some items (PDC, Junction Box)
- Install Fast Fill Neck and Fender Filler for Fuel Cell
- PM Check (Grease, Tighten Bolts, General Once over everything)
- Throw another coat of paint on interior panels (with hardener this time)
- General Clean and paint touch up
- Misc. Small stuff

The Daily Driver XJ build took longer than I wanted to get back to a roller, but it is what it is.

First up was solving the non-running issue. Well, it turned out to be a blown fuse in the PDC, which then got followed by a misplaced fuse in the junction block :laugh: :banghead:

So, It got it running again, BUT decided I wanted to "re-do" some wiring.

We'll, that turned into a full blown deal:

20170308_232200_zpsm8bgfd2r.jpg

It wasn't that I was unhappy with my wiring, I was unhappy with the location of the Junction Block, the PDC, and at the time the PCM.

So, the Junction Black and PDC are getting moved to the cowl, for MUCH easier access should I blow a fuse (instead of removing interior panels :rolleyes:)

I originally wanted to remount the PCM, I thought the fuel issue might be the PCM having gotten overheated sitting just above the Trans. Howvere, there wasn't to room in the cowl to mount it very well. So, I went ahead and added some nutserts to its original mounting location (instead of needing to get in between the block and the firewall) and bolted it back up.

I'm currently waiting on Waytek Wire order of more Weatherpack fittings to finish it up. I'll be removing the giant OEM White C100 connector, shortening a BIT of wiring, and connecting/looming it all back together.

So that's the wiring side (with some more to come).

Another thing was the Trans Cooler. My trans was still reading a little hotter than I liked, soooo time to go overkill and get a cooler that would be sufficient for Ultra4 :laugh:

So, I ordered a Derale 13870, it's getting mounted up under the rear, below the fuel cell and Action Packer. The old trans cooler/fan will be connected to my Hydro system, so I'll have dual coolers in that system, one being the tube/fin with an on/off capable fan.

Just placed an order to Jegs for some fuel cell stuff. The top Aero style cap is being a little bit of a PITA, and won't work when I get a Baja Bin mounted.

So, on the way to install is a 45° JAZ 2.5" Fast Fill Neck with Flapper Valve, and a 2.5" 12 bolt Fender Mounting Kit.

This will make it much nicer to refuel, instead of standing on top of the rear tire with the gas can or pump nozzle.

I've got less than a month until it needs to be loaded on to the trailer.

In reality all I *needed* to do was replace that fuse...but there of course was a BIT more I wanted to do :dunce:

Once this is all complete, the buggy should be good for a WHILE.

Back