• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont start! help!

GRANDLICH

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I have a 93 jeep cherokee xj. strait six 4.0 leter. 4x4.

It just wont start. I turn the key over and all my regular lights and all come on like they always do in the cab. but the engin wont start. like not even the starter box isnt clicking. I had it hooked up to jumper cables also and it wouldnt start? Could it be that mabe a week ago i had a ignition switch and ignition cylender put in cause my blinkers and a few other little lights were not working. the whole thing was running great after that but now it just wont start i dont know?

The most logical thing to do is check the most recent work performed, especially since it relates to starting and running.

Then, begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds. And of course, check the fuses.

When your Jeep won’t start :
1) Do all the gauges display correctly, or do the fuel gauge and voltage gauge not work at all, or not display properly when it won’t start ?
2) Have you tried wiggling the shift lever when you try to start, in both PARK and NEUTRAL ?
2) When you turn the key does nothing happen, and you hear no sounds ?
3) Does the starter not engage, and you only hear a clicking sound from under the hood ?
4) Does the starter engage, make the starter sound, and cause the engine to turn ?
6) Does the engine sputter and try to run, or does it not start or run at all ?

Have your helper turn the key to start the engine while you gently tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you need a new starter.

Get your Volts/Ohms multimeter. With the key in the ON position, check for voltage directly at the starter. If you have approximately 12.0 volts or more battery voltage at the starter, the problem is the starter. If you have no voltage, the NSS and the ignition switch are suspect and need to be inspected/tested. If you have less than 12.3 volts at the battery, the battery is weak and needs to be charged or possibly replaced.

Last edited:
No crank -- try starting in Neutral....wiggle your shifter around... you may be having a problem with the Neutral Saftey switch....try starting in park while wiggling the shifter.

All good advice here.

Quick and dirty I would try moving the shifter around, try starting in Neutral, try again in Park.

If that doesn't get you anything then you can jump power between the main positive lead from the battery where it connects a the starter to the positive lead to the solenoid--key OFF, vehicle in park (a**uming AW4 trans) and the parking brake set. If it cranks that means the battery, your main cables, and the starter-solenoid are all good. If it doesn't, start with the battery and main cables.

Well after i got home from work it was time to check out the jeep after taking all the great advice i was given i figured out it was the starter. thank you to you all for your help!

Back