• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Recall

I'll have to do so.

I just googled "comanche park ratchet recall" and this thread is already the #1 result :roflmao:

damn, none on the 91. I'll have to check the 88 later.

LOL...yea, I have had my butt kicked a few time on CJ's and 87 to 91 YJ's with carbs ....... You can bypass the Feedback PCM for the carb and ignition, but retain the stock Ford ignition so it works independent and use non feedback carb....... Coolest thing I did was install a few MOPAR fuel injection systems on the 87 to 91 Yj's with the 4.2 when new carbs from Chrysler dried up for the YJ..... You never saw a 4.2 YJ run so good :) It was based om 1995 XJ 4.0 fuel injection and used the same PCM part number..... it ran the crank sensor off the front harmonic pulley..... the whole kit was pretty much bolt on and you got 95 diagnostics..it was $1800 for the kit, but that was awhile ago......

Still the worst for vac lines all over the place I can recall was early 80's Mustang with a 4 cyl and carb.......

His YJ will be nice with all the 96 XJ stuff and parts he has been collectiing :)
I just helped a friend with an 87 YJ a while ago, it came in with the horrible BBD e-carb + Ford computer and more vacuum lines than the space shuttle. It'd also been "improved" by several previous owners and the vacuum line setup resulted in me ripping most of my hair out trying to figure it out. Finally we fixed it by putting a weber on it and bypassing the computer completely, it now runs way better and the exhaust smells nowhere near as bad.

Who ever thought combining computers and carbs was a good idea? It is basically the worst of both worlds!

It still has no real power and he wants a 5speed instead of the factory auto (yep, it has a column shifted auto... what?!) so he is collecting parts to do a 4.0/ax15/np231/sye/8.25 swap, we are going to build a custom harness for it based off a 96 XJ one most likely. Already put a full custom dash harness in it to eliminate the ratsnest of terrible wiring (factory and non factory - it had been "upgraded" with a CJ7 dash and instruments, none of which worked and all of which were wired in truly inventive ways...)

Coolest thing I did was install a few MOPAR fuel injection systems on the 87 to 91 Yj's with the 4.2 when new carbs from Chrysler dried up for the YJ..... You never saw a 4.2 YJ run so good :)

I put a Chevy Throttle Body Injection system on my 1977 CJ-7 coupled with a GM HEI distributor, What an amazingly simple upgrade that provided great results including more ummph from a stop and better MPG.

What engine in your M54?
mine? LDS or LDT (forget which, the stock one) 465. It's currently in need of a head gasket replacement and acting as a storage locker for two V8/5spd/4x4 drivetrains, six 46" tires, five or six dana 60s, two or three 44s, and a few other random axles. Holds the ground down quite nicely.

Rags - yeah, we're hoping it'll work out quite nicely. I suggested 95 as an XJ donor electronics year unless he wanted OBD-II in which case 96 would be the best (has OBD-II, but dumb enough to not care if we remove some stuff like the TCU and such that he won't be needing) so we're using a 96 donor. I'm pretty sure the dash needs new gauges, but the only important ones have their own sender anyways, so we'll just use CJ-7 gauge senders. Haven't solved the fuel level sender problem yet but I've got some ideas I'm kicking around. Worst case the gauges don't work at all... so basically how it is right now :laugh2:

LOL...yea, I have had my butt kicked a few time on CJ's and 87 to 91 YJ's with carbs ....... You can bypass the Feedback PCM for the carb and ignition, but retain the stock Ford ignition so it works independent and use non feedback carb....... Coolest thing I did was install a few MOPAR fuel injection systems on the 87 to 91 Yj's with the 4.2 when new carbs from Chrysler dried up for the YJ..... You never saw a 4.2 YJ run so good :) It was based om 1995 XJ 4.0 fuel injection and used the same PCM part number..... it ran the crank sensor off the front harmonic pulley..... the whole kit was pretty much bolt on and you got 95 diagnostics..it was $1800 for the kit, but that was awhile ago......

Still the worst for vac lines all over the place I can recall was early 80's Mustang with a 4 cyl and carb.......

His YJ will be nice with all the 96 XJ stuff and parts he has been collectiing :)

I did one of those conversions for a customer. 4.2 with fuel injection. Woohoo. Easy job, too.

mine? LDS or LDT (forget which, the stock one) 465. It's currently in need of a head gasket replacement and acting as a storage locker for two V8/5spd/4x4 drivetrains, six 46" tires, five or six dana 60s, two or three 44s, and a few other random axles. Holds the ground down quite nicely.

That's what my M543A1 had in it. Kind of a slug but sure fun off-road.
Obviously yours is a cargo truck. LOL.

Funny thing, we had a customer come in whom had the conversion done at another dealer or he did himself, it was not a very old install and the PCM had a problem, dont remember what it was, but Chrysler would not warranty the PCM as the PCM part number comes up as a MOPAR performance part and Mopar Performance stuff has little or no warranty from what I understand at that time, back and fourth with Chrysler and he did get a new PCM for free, but had to pay diagnostic and install time......That kit is really nice and so easy to install......Only bad thing is the YJ would run upside down on its roof longer then when it was carbed :)

I did one of those conversions for a customer. 4.2 with fuel injection. Woohoo. Easy job, too.

Back