• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep commander

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my biweekly spam from jeep, and they have the new commander comming out. I was wondering if anyone has 1) see these things and 2) what they expect the price to end up at?
I did a search, but my security settings today are viewing the search button as a pop-up. srry.
TIA

biscuitboy87 said:
I was wondering if anyone has 1) see these things and 2) what they expect the price to end up at?

1) Only in pictures, and good Lord is it fugly. Hopefully it works better in the flesh.

2) Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but figure it'll probably be astronomical given that it's meant to slot in above the WK. I'd estimate starting numbers somewhere around $38000 going to near $50000 depending on trim; this is based on the Rocky Mountain Edition 4x4, V8 WK I just specced out with a few options at an MSRP of $32,970.

casm said:
1) Only in pictures, and good Lord is it fugly. Hopefully it works better in the flesh.
I saw one, sat in one and it was pretty nice. Think of a Grand Cherokee/Cherokee/Range Rover cross. The RangeRover cross comes from a somewhat raised roof section behind the front seats, the Grand Cherokee/Cherokee from the rest of the interior and exterior. It will have 3 row seating (not sure if it's going to be standard or option) and it will have nice moon roofs (sun roofs or whatever it's called available: there will be 3 of them: 1 full width and 2 smaller ones next to each other).

what about the axels on this thing...they going indo susp or solid?
If its solid...with the pooability of the truck v10 then i'd consider a 50,000 price tag and prolly pay it. with a real xfer case of course. just curious... cuz they sent out the notice announcing it but don't give specs anywhere....
I think it looks like the xj only bigger with some land rover and some h2 thrown in for good measure... bet it'll take an h2 off road?!!?

biscuitboy87 said:
If its solid...with the pooability of the truck v10 then i'd consider a 50,000 price tag and prolly pay it. with a real xfer case of course. just curious... cuz they sent out the notice announcing it but don't give specs anywhere....
I think it looks like the xj only bigger with some land rover and some h2 thrown in for good measure... bet it'll take an h2 off road?!!?

I'm pretty sure that the one I saw had solid axle front and rear. Unfortuantely I didn't get to take too good of a luck underneath and I got chewed out for trying so as I was supposed to only evaluate the interior.

biscuitboy87 said:

Funnily enough, I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from the local dealer with some advance hype on the Commander in it. It also happened to conveniently mention that you could call 800 925 JEEP for more info, so I did. The very helpful lady on the other end of the phone very kindly read through the advance spec sheet she had.

Here's what I remember: IFS, solid rear, Quadra-trac I as standard, Quadra-Trac II optional, twin Discovery-style lateral sunroofs (no mention of whether they were removeable or not). One odd thing (and she even sounded kind of puzzled by this): in reference to the Quadra-Trac system, there was an annotation to the effect of 'dual-motor rear and front'. I'm really not certain as to what this means (and I'm definitely not saying it means a 4-engined XK), but she wasn't either. Of course, beyond just the basic spec sheet there wasn't a lot else to go on.

It's pretty safe to assume that it's road-biased. Which is fair enough for the sort of vehicle that it is; I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into the must-have soccer mom car.

Kejtar said:
I wonder if the prototype I saw wasn't special or somehow different then and that's why I got chewed out for trying to look too closely.

Possibly... It might also have been using WJ components up front at that point. Just out of curiosity, how long ago / where'd you get to see it?

Hm. Thinking about it, I wonder if this means that the production IFS models might be modular enough with the WJ that a swap wouldn't be out of the question...

casm said:
Possibly... It might also have been using WJ components up front at that point. Just out of curiosity, how long ago / where'd you get to see it?

Hm. Thinking about it, I wonder if this means that the production IFS models might be modular enough with the WJ that a swap wouldn't be out of the question...
I saw it about 2 months ago when I went to evaluate it's interior for a marketing research thing (ever since I bought my other jeep new, they have been inviting me to show up, see new stuff and pay me $100 to $150 for my time. For example recently I saw a Liberty with a roof that opened up like the new BMW's: all the way down)

Kejtar said:
I saw it about 2 months ago when I went to evaluate it's interior for a marketing research thing (ever since I bought my other jeep new, they have been inviting me to show up, see new stuff and pay me $100 to $150 for my time. For example recently I saw a Liberty with a roof that opened up like the new BMW's: all the way down)

Okay, how do I get on this list? :D

Actually, I used to be one one about five years ago. Got kicked off of it when I recognised that the vehicle being clinicked was a Peugeot; they were *NOT* happy that I'd figured it out. Oh well, I see Peugeot's still not selling cars here...

Kejtar said:
No clue.... maybe you gotta buy a new jeep?

They still make Jeeps? (insert IFS joke here) :D

Kejtar said:

Man, you ruined my ironically hip self-deprecating emo joke! Now I'm gonna go listen to some Dashboard Confessional and write in my blog :D

Back