• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee Overhead Center Console

Hugothegrunt

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep Cherokee Overhead Center Console, pulled from a 1998 Cherokee Classic (NOT THE GRAND CHEROKEE) gray in color. Has built in travel computer that includes compass, trip odometer, estimated MPG, outside temp, etc. Comes with support bracket, matching sun visors that are shorter to fit around the consol with built in vanity mirror and lights on the drivers and passenger side. Comes with outside temp sensor, and 2 working FOB (that will need to be re-programed). This is a complete set up , in near new condition, only has 1 small hole on the driver side sun shade about the diameter of a nail. $100

I would really like to get this sold and out of my garage. I will go down to $80 bucks. Its got everything you need to have an overhead console. It works great when we pulled it.

puppiesandcraiglist353.jpg

puppiesandcraiglist354.jpg

puppiesandcraiglist355.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness, all this for $80 bucks, not a bad deal

Its been done before, Im not sure on the details but I think you may need to shorten it. There are other guys on here that would know more and you can proable find more info by searching some of the forums

The MJ roof contour is totally different. The MJ also lacks any kind of center cross support for you to attach the center/rear of the console to.

Compare the roof contours between the MJ and XJ....... kinda surprising how much taller the MJ roof is.

The XJ console is too long as well. I've seen custom ones made that have been cut down, and the plastic glued, sanded and filled to work.

In other words..... it'd be a project.

The MJ roof contour is totally different. The MJ also lacks any kind of center cross support for you to attach the center/rear of the console to.

Compare the roof contours between the MJ and XJ....... kinda surprising how much taller the MJ roof is.

The XJ console is too long as well. I've seen custom ones made that have been cut down, and the plastic glued, sanded and filled to work.

In other words..... it'd be a project.
Thats kinda what I was thinking , I don't mind the fab work but I don't want to cut the sh@t out of it , but some minor trimming would be cool .
I've seen it done before so I might try it out one of these days .

Can you get a length measurement for me ?
That will probably help me decide weather or not to fab something .
I did get a set of TJ seats bolted to my MJ , so I'm all for custom .

The measurements for the console is 39.5 inches from front to back.

If you want to get it would you be able to meet us in between. That would be to far of a drive for us too.

Chris (Hugo)........

The one part I'm not seeing is the wiring harness that goes from all the connectors at the pass. side kick panel, up the "A" pilar and across the front of the roof to the console itself.

That wiring is gonna be necessary to make this work. That harness isn't already in other non-console jeeps normally.

Do you have that part of the harness?

No I dont have the full wiring harness, but my 98 sport had the connection for the temp sensor and all the wires are behind the dome light, just the connector was different.

Not quite.

Yep, the wiring for the temp sensor IS part of all XJ harnesses there at the front of the jeep behind the bumper.

But no, the wiring you're seeing at the dome light is for the electric lock/key fob features. There’s a circuit board in the dome light fixture for those features. The wiring for the mileage/compass computer and whatnot is totally separate and needs to be pulled from the donor vehicle for that to work.

This link discusses the overall install of the console and I believe it has info on how to wire it when you don't have the factory harness:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/overhead-console-install-help-548377/

Last edited:
Sale pending to Jim.

Sold

Back