• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JcrOffroad Prototyping and Redesigns!

jcroffroad

www.jcroffroad.com
One of the things that we feel defines our company is continuing to innovate and not rest on our laurels. It's been since 2011 since we've looked at back at our latest Cherokee bumper line-up.

Three years later and the market has transformed and evolved! The look of our current line-up is starting to look dated. The new JK's sporting edgier and more aggressive lines, LED pod lights are becoming a commodity and therefor more affordable.

While on the road at shows this year, we've been shocked at the amount of interest in us bringing our XJ to shows. The problem, our poor XJ has seen better days :sad: rusty doors, dents, and bad paint! So we went on a quest, fount a rust free 2001 with 66k on the ticker. The plan is to build up on new XJ as well as redesign, update and prototype new product for the Cherokee!

We've decided to start with our front bumpers, going right after our big sellers!

If you follow us on Facebook (www.faceboook.com/JcrOffroad) then you probably have already seen some of this stuff...but none the less...let's get this started!

First up is a redesign of our Deluxe front bumper!

Concept:
10339252_10152502938738276_3175437429401555165_o.jpg

1st Prototype:
10505490_10152514691803276_7539070990742397711_n.jpg

We sell a TON of prerunner bumper bumpers, so we want to make sure we don't step on our own toes! We first tried our current prerunner tube work and it was very 'meh'.

Defender1.jpg

Next, we stole a tube we use on our JK Vanguard bumper, now that's better!

Defender.jpg

While we worked on wrapping up the new non-winch bumper, Mike was already hard at work on the new winch bumper design!

10448606_10152522166293276_1003671938104163060_o.jpg

10500349_10152523021638276_1279539684076445677_n.jpg

The first winch version was cut out yesterday, so hopefully we'll have some pictures a little later today!

~Brian

What are the holes for? not the LED pods.

my .02. I love the look here but what I find lacking in the market is a nice looking, lightweight tubular bumper. What do you think about putting out such a thing?

The bumper you posted is my nephews copy of this one.

100_1607.jpg

Pretty simple design and fairly easy to build. I've smacked the corners of it pretty hard on ledges with no deflection or damage other than scuffed paint on the tubes, so it performs quite well. Not sure if there's a big enough market for JCR to produce though.

i like it...a lot. Glad you kept them nice and tight to the grill. Although i like the lower hoop better.

Hi-lift holes are a great idea

Talked to you guys at the Offroad Expo in Louisville a couple of weekends ago. So looking forward to this new line up. Just a thought, you have so many people wanting different heights on the hoop, why not offer three heights, maybe your original, the jk version, then a larger stinger style? Just my .02.

Just a thought, you have so many people wanting different heights on the hoop, why not offer three heights, maybe your original, the jk version, then a larger stinger style? Just my .02.

We are a manufacturer, so in order to make a profit we have to be efficient. Recently we switched to large batch building; 1.) to allow for more efficiency 2.) to work towards lower lead times 3.) hopes of stocking product. The issue becomes when we have 5-6 options on a bumper, we have to build large batches and inventory of each option. Logistically this becomes a huge issue for us. Our facility is 20,000 sqft and we build product for JK's, XJ's, TJ's, YJ's, CJ's, ZJ's, WJ's and Liberty's. So you can easily see it would no only take up a ton of room, but it would also create a large financial issue (we have to pay for all of this product as it's built; steel, payroll, electricity, consumables, packaging, etc.

The other issue we run into with a non-standardized product line is shipping logistics. We've worked very hard to increase our shipping quality. We've started having custom boxes built and we now use foam-in-place packaging. On any box size, I have to buy 200 boxes at a time. My average box costs around $7. Currently we've only standardized our JK product line and that includes 11 different box options. If you are following along, that means $15,400 in box inventory!! We are trying our best to multi-use boxes, which in return constrains what we offer. As it sits right now, both new XJ front's will require their own custom boxes (4 boxes total, because of hoops and no hoops options).

Beyond those two issues, we have to look at our sales history. On our XJ winch bumper for example, we sell 10 Prerunner Winch bumpers for every 1 no-hoop version. On the non-winch bumper, we sell 4 with receivers for every 1 without. The goal is to use numbers and figures to help sculpt what we build.

So that's a quick inside to some of the considerations we have to make when building new product. Hope it helps explain some of our method behind our madness!

~Brian

The bumper you posted is my nephews copy of this one.

Pretty simple design and fairly easy to build. I've smacked the corners of it pretty hard on ledges with no deflection or damage other than scuffed paint on the tubes, so it performs quite well. Not sure if there's a big enough market for JCR to produce though.

Yep I remember reading that... I love it. I may try to source a local builder here to do it as I have no welding skils much less a welder.

JCR,
The new bumper looks very modern.. I like it. Also liked how you centered your logo instead of it being off to the side.

Are you going to make a non winch version?

Here's the new Vanguard Front XJ winch bumper, completed, coated and installed! Pretty hot! Going to start working on the product page and info now!

10450969_1440752059542387_8531735414121040213_n.jpg

We are still waiting on the non-winch versions to come back from coating! Hopefully tomorrow!

~Brian

Back