• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

J-10 engine swap...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Any idea how easy a renix 4.0 would replace an 1984 Jeep J10 360 V8?

With the price of gas and all that jazz is it a worthwile swap?

A couple of years ago I met a guy with a 70's full size 2-door Cherokee with a tweaked inline 6 and ride was sweet.

Just wondering why you don't see that many inline 6's in the older full size rides.

btw...

I noticed Kenosha WI has an insane amount of AMC rides scooting about... being the former HQ and all

Saw a sweet AMX the other day

Last edited:
In theory, just bolt the 4.0 to the trans using the 4.0 flywheel/flexplate and modify the bellhousing to accept the CPS and then add an electric fuel pump/regulator and run new fuel lines. Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the MOPAR fuel injection retrofit kit for the 258 basically the renix injection system? Worth it? depends on how many sensors and such you wanna yank off of Skanky/your donor.

I guess anything is doable but I guess the big question is wether or not the 4.0 is much or any improvement over a 360.

I've never had an amc/jeep v8 so I have nothing to compare against.

mpg/hp/torque?

Gil BullyKatz said:
I guess anything is doable but I guess the big question is wether or not the 4.0 is much or any improvement over a 360.

I've never had an amc/jeep v8 so I have nothing to compare against.

mpg/hp/torque?

The 360 can deliver torque with the right bolt-ons. I had a 360 Ram Charger police special with high performance heads and a Rochester Quadrajet. It would go real nice. MPG was 13.5 :(

Why not bring the AW4 along with the 4.0. Is the J-10 tranny worth keeping?

XJ Dreamin' said:

Good question. I'd like to know as well. Although chances are, that it's a 727 and IIRC that's a good tranny.

What TC came in J10's and how would it bolt up to a AW4?

Gil BullyKatz said:
Good question. I'd like to know as well. Although chances are, that it's a 727 and IIRC that's a good tranny.

What TC came in J10's and how would it bolt up to a AW4?

Step by step. Ever tried to walk through black gumbo mud? Your feet just get heavier and heavier. Maybe just the engine swap.

yeah, but the 727 has a 1:1 final drive right?
if fuel economy is the goal, the overdrive AW4 might be nice.

I used to have an 83 Cherokee W/T with a tired 258/727 combo and was debating this same swap.

For ease of electronics I was going to leave the 727. Hesco makes the parts so that it will shift properly with an EFI 4.0

The engine will fit as long as you have 258 motor mounts. The one issue I saw was that the 4.0's intake manifold is wider than that of the 258. There is a clearance issue with the SJ's brake booster and the 4.0 EFI manifold. You'd have to convert to hydroboost braking or go manual braking.

Is it worth it to swap from a 360 to a 4.0? probably not. I'd get one of the aftermarket TBI kits and swap in a 700R4 for better power and economy.

Is it a worthwhile swap in one that originally had a 258? I think so. But by the time you pay for all the swap parts from Hesco to save yourself the trouble of fabbing up the wiring harness, and get a decent engine with all the parts, you're in SBC swap cost territory.

There’s tons of info at ifsja.org. Been reading about it for years. You can google this.
4.0 swap j10 site:ifsja.org

I think for the auto pre ’80 would be the th400/quadracrap and post ‘80’s is the 727/208 combo.

Btw my J20 gets 8.3mpg. I like to emphasize the .3 can go all the way up to .7 sometimes, lol.
tipshades.gif

XJ Dreamin' said:
The 360 can deliver torque with the right bolt-ons. I had a 360 Ram Charger police special with high performance heads and a Rochester Quadrajet. It would go real nice. MPG was 13.5 :(

Thats a different 360. The Chrysler block in a Dodge truck is not the same engine as the AMC V8, just a similar displacement figure...

I don't see why the engine itself would be too much of a problem, since for many years the J series trucks were available with a Rambler 6. They even offered the AMC engine concurrently with the notorious Kaiser OHC 6 within a few years of its introduction (using the steering column and front end from the V8 version, quite different from that in the Kaiser-6 version, which had its mounts on the front of the engine, as I recall).

Back