• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my jeep worth saving???

Yea I was pretty skepticle(I'm a bad speller). That's why I stressed doing more research. And said that I wouldn't try it. Just thought id throw it out there

As for instaling the trans, my friend who barly knows a wrench from a hammer did his. So I'm sure I'm sure anyone with the will and a hayns manual could do it.

no matter what is wrong with the transmission it can be a cheap and easy fix.

i just find a low milage aw4 for a couple hundred bucks and install it in an afternoon.

everything else you have going on is easy fixes.

the only time i would get rid of xj's is when they rot out, the unibody is severely damaged, or there is fire damage, and all 3 have happened to me.

A sway bar isn't there to stop side to side movement. Chances are something else was worn out on those vehicles, it's just that the new bushings had enough hold to them to cover up the real problem causing the DW.

all i know for a definite fact is that my sway bar bushings and upper control arm bushings are shot to hell...buying new ones this week, and taking my tires wednesday to make sure they're still balanced. oh also my power steering box makes not so great noises but ive seen people say that cant be a contributing DW factor? (yes, that was meant to be in the form of a question haha)

as for tie rod and track bar, as ive seen a few people mention, everything's tight, and we did the side to side steering wheel dealy and they're fine.

its frustrating when i seem to be running out of things to check.
it really does make me feel better that the general consensus seems to be that my problems could be a lot worse and to try and keep the jeep.
you guys are all being sooooo much help, you have no idea. thank you so much and please keep ideas coming.

i say keep it. you will miss it when its gone plus every problem you could have some one on here has fixed it before and will walk you threw it.

Bad upper control arm bushings could do the DW, so replace those first. X2 on checking the ball joints too. Just jack up the axle enough that the tires just off the ground and put a pry bar underneight the tire, move it up and down while looking at the ball joints and look for any play, when mine went out it was very obvious.

Seeing as you live in SC, check out the sierra chapter on this site. (That's the norcal forum)

Im from San Mateo, and I have a cabin in Boulder Creek, so I know most of the xj guys in your area. Theres tons of guys that will help you with your xj. (Maybe for a 12 pack of coors.)

As far as the tranny- Check the TCU, mine went bad, and I had to manually shift it. 60 bucks later, and one plug, it was like new.

Front end- Slop in the suspension/ steering will cause bad DW. I have no sway bar, and 4 inches of lift, no DW. Ever.

does anyone have opinions regarding the nigh mileage? that seemed like a factor to me but no one has brought it up... someone just told me their friend had an xj that he ran to 400k before he sold it cuz he "got bored driving the same jeep for so long" any other input about my miles?

230,000 miles on a 15 year old car usually indicates a worn out vehicle.
Sure the engine and/or transmissions have been known to go 400,000 miles, but it's not all that common. There comes a point that a vehicle is either replaced or turned into a project. Your XJ is at that point.
If you are up for a new hobby involving working on your XJ a lot, go for it.
If you are looking for dependable transportation, start saving for a newer XJ that's in better shape.
Of course, if you are really looking for dependable transportation, an XJ may not be the best choice.

An XJ is the perfect choice for reliable transportation. There may be things worn out on your Jeep, but it is still serviceable and can still take you a long way. Fix it. Your suspension issues wont be terribly hard to fix, along with replacing bushings you may also want to check the caster and ensure that it is set to specs, while still maintaining your pinion angle. Bad Caster can contribute to DW as well.

And as far as your tranny work goes, you really can just swap out everything for a newer, known to be good stuff relatively easy. I swapped my own tranny just recently after the original AX15 had been through 340 thousand miles. I did it with basic hand tools and in my driveway.

There is nothing wrong with your Jeep that can't be fixed. simple as that.

Seeing as you live in SC, check out the sierra chapter on this site. (That's the norcal forum)

Im from San Mateo, and I have a cabin in Boulder Creek, so I know most of the xj guys in your area. Theres tons of guys that will help you with your xj. (Maybe for a 12 pack of coors.)

As far as the tranny- Check the TCU, mine went bad, and I had to manually shift it. 60 bucks later, and one plug, it was like new.

Front end- Slop in the suspension/ steering will cause bad DW. I have no sway bar, and 4 inches of lift, no DW. Ever.

thank you very much for the heads up. i will check that out :)

apparently it might also be useful to note that my jeep is leaking oil, and i have no rear shocks because the bolts are rusted in place from the stock shocks. does that change any opinions or keeping the jeep? also, im about to check the forums for an answer but, any tips to get the bolts out? we tried an easy out..

apparently it might also be useful to note that my jeep is leaking oil, and i have no rear shocks because the bolts are rusted in place from the stock shocks. does that change any opinions or keeping the jeep? also, im about to check the forums for an answer but, any tips to get the bolts out? we tried an easy out..

I think jsut about every jeep leaks oil. It is common for the rear main seal to leak and is fairly easy to replace.

For the shock bolts, use PB blaster on them for like a week, then use a ratchet and a breaker bar to try and loosen them. If the break, hopefully not, you can either attempt to drill and tap them out, but most people have to cut into the frame from the body to extact them.

There are write ups on both subjects.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101118
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm

Last edited:
Don't think it will be much help but just to tell my opinion and view on things.
I've never liked giving up on a car or throwing it away. I wrecked my first car (2000 pontiac grand am) and would have kept it if I was welding at the time and could have spliced the unibody frame rail from the parts car onto but my dad wouldn't let me hold onto it. Now I have a 87 xj laredo (almost 25 years old). bought it shortly after in Jan. with the lift and 31s plus some extras but repaired the rust in the floor, herculined it and the under carriage. fixed a mess of engine problems when i first got it. rewired the engine bay. swaped the whole AC system. Swapped the whole coolant system. Fixed numerous leaks, about to do the rear main seal. I had to drill and tap my rear upper shock mounts cause I ripped one out. Pretty much rebuilt the front axle, In the process of swapping in a 8.8 rear axle. and tons of other little things that just take time.
It all depends on how much you want to keep that vehicle. If the tranny or engine went in mine right now I'd be swapping it/rebuilding without a doubt cause i already put so much work into it and i think it's a pretty unique xj.
Also for the tranny try Lucas Oil tranny stop slip additive. No additive fixes anything for good but i've heard numerous stories of it reconditioning trannies for a few months and and easing the symptoms. Do you have to manually shift through all the gears? cause that would be a tranny computer malfunction (when you disconnect the computer it allows you to shift manually)

Do you have to manually shift through all the gears? cause that would be a tranny computer malfunction (when you disconnect the computer it allows you to shift manually)

i dont have to shift manually once i get going. and it IS possible for me to drive starting from the 3rd position but not without getting my rpm's up to about 3 grand. once the car is going it's perfectly fine.

i completely feel you about 'how much do you want to keep the vehicle' i love my jeep and it doesnt run bad at all its just got a gang of small things that concern me. after two years i finally got my lift on and have started to get my jeep where i want it... i would hate to give up now and start all over.

Look at the TCU, it's under the dash below the glove box. My renix had a blown fuse in the TCU that's why I had to manual shift it. It was a regular car fuse plugged into the side. Not sure if a 95 has a fuse in the TCU though. I'd fix it, 95 is a good year and another used jeep will probably need work also.

Shock bolts are easy. If they break off at the top just use a punch and a BFH to pound out the stud. Get new bolts and the easily feed them from the top without cutting the body. I say keep it.

does anyone have opinions regarding the nigh mileage? that seemed like a factor to me but no one has brought it up... someone just told me their friend had an xj that he ran to 400k before he sold it cuz he "got bored driving the same jeep for so long" any other input about my miles?

I have an 88 with almost 350k on it, and it drives fine with no tranny slipping.

There is a fuse under the hood that powers the TCM. I bought a 95 with what i thought had a bad trans. If i put it in first and manually shifted it was fine. But if I put it in drive it would act up. Found out the 10a fuse was blown. I ended up swapping a tranny for just a fuse. Jeep was 2wd anyway and i swapped in a 4wd and the front end. So it was a benefit for me. But could've been a simple fix at the time.

Back