• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing the BajaHID kit

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
So, I got Tony's HID kit with the Autopal housings and I know he told me what to do with that big black grommet that goes on the back of the light, but, for the life of me, I can't remember. I think he said, I could cut it to make it fit over the back of the HID bulbs, or....
dunno.gif

Any of you guys know? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Billy

cut it so it fit's over the bulb, it's just to keep moisture and dust from getting inside the lens.

FWIW I usually don't run them and haven't had a problem with it, I've put in over 50 of tony's kits.

silicone the black rubber grommet to the backside of the bulb housing to keep moisture out... And make sure you mind your p's and q's while wiring it up. Ive allways grounded back to the negative battery terminal on my xj, while some of my friends have not... Their lights flicker more readily, and the initial warm/up firing isnt as quick....

In short, ground back to the negative battery terminal..

Im a little late to the party Billy, but hope you got it right!

silicone the black rubber grommet to the backside of the bulb housing to keep moisture out... And make sure you mind your p's and q's while wiring it up. Ive allways grounded back to the negative battery terminal on my xj, while some of my friends have not... Their lights flicker more readily, and the initial warm/up firing isnt as quick....

In short, ground back to the negative battery terminal..

X2 on that one. Putting more effort into wiring them correctly will make them so much more worth it.

You might also want to look into the ferrite "bushings" (can't remember the actual name) to block RF bleed if you listen to your radio. Mouser electronics sells them, reasonably cheap. I think it was CrazyJim that I heard about them from.

Ferrite beads. They solved 95% of the RF interference we were getting. My F250 has a tuner, and the HID's would kill the truck everytime they were flicked on, due to the unshielded wire on the tuner. The ferrite bead fixed it.

Anybody want to measure the external diameter of the HID wiring? The ones I have are too big, and I'm being lazy right now. I'll get to it later tonight if nobody responds. These should work:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/FB-92/FERRITE-SPLIT-BEAD-0.28-ID/1.html

On my xj, my HID's cut radio reception by like 20%.... if a radio station starts to fade out of reception, and gets static, just turn on the HID's, and its gone...
Not a giant deal breaker... just something to ponder. My next headlight setup will be halogen.

Unfortunately, ive noticed eletricity arcing thru the insulation of the secondary voltage wiring... not good!

Ferrite beads. They solved 95% of the RF interference we were getting. My F250 has a tuner, and the HID's would kill the truck everytime they were flicked on, due to the unshielded wire on the tuner. The ferrite bead fixed it.

Anybody want to measure the external diameter of the HID wiring? The ones I have are too big, and I'm being lazy right now. I'll get to it later tonight if nobody responds. These should work:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/FB-92/FERRITE-SPLIT-BEAD-0.28-ID/1.html

Good to know! What part of the wiring do you want a measurement from?

Thanks Jim,
Billy

Back