• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inline 6 Sound

Certainly, I think the Inline6 sounds a bit like a diesel while a v6 sound like a sedan. But most of it depends on your intake and exhaust modifications. I will say that the Jeep Inline 6 has an very distinctive sound. I can pick out a jeep inline 6 starting up from across a parking lot.

They absolutely have a unique sound when they start but when it's running depends on your exhaust.With a flowmaster Super 40 they sound amazing.

whats the low down on the flowmaster super 40? Any others recommended? I to dig the clackety clicks of my inline 6............

[FONT=&quot]What im more curious to know is there a difference between a stock 4.0L and a stroked 4.0L with the same exhaust setup? Will the stroker sound more throaty or louder?

TORX
[/FONT]

Inline 6's sound like tractors.

My stroker sounds like a somewhat larger tractor.

Super 40's sound like tractors with a hole in the exhaust.

IXNAYXJ said:
How about "The Jeep 4.0 I-6 sounds like a tractor." There are some guys in Bavaria who might take exception to your statement. :)

-----Matt-----

x2

The Bimmer's 6 sounds NOTHING like the Jeep 4.0L.

ilike the sound of I-6's wether it be a Jeep, Cummins or Supra they all sound sweet.

I can always pick out a Jeep starting up because i can look, walk over pop the hood and ask the guy if he needs help all while its still turning over:confused1

Re: jeep sound = cummins

daxjbubba said:
How do you make a jeep sound like a cummins. ive heard one or two of them with mods and they sounded like a cummins and thats how i want my jeep to sound. What do i do to make it sound like that.
muffler, injectors,Etc.
Mix up all the plug wires and it'll sound like a diesel, alright.......

you know i enjoy seeing 3 month old threads just as much as i enjoy eating 3 month old leftovers........:twak:

but anyway maybe he means the turbo spooling sound that the cummins puts out........ if your looking for that then i suggest you pick up some pvc pipe,glue, and one of these...

big-turbo-1.jpg

Last edited:
To honestly answer your question. A guy I know has a custom 3.5" straight pipe exhaust on his YJ. He has a custom intake and a supercharger from a t-bird. It sounds very much like a big diesel...

Re: jeep sound = cummins

daxjbubba said:
How do you make a jeep sound like a cummins. ive heard one or two of them with mods and they sounded like a cummins and thats how i want my jeep to sound. What do i do to make it sound like that.
muffler, injectors,Etc.
Take out the spark plugs, make the injectors SUPER high pressure, and use diesel fuel...? Buy a CD of diesel motors and play it in your Jeep?

-----Matt-----

Back