• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

INFO on RC 6.5 short arm kit

bonzel

NAXJA Forum User
hello all, Im looking into buying the 6.5 short arm kit for my 98 XJ. I dont plan on doing a whole lot of wheeling, maybe 2-3 trips with the KCjeep club and maybe drive it once a week on the weekends...not a DD. Does anyone have any info on this specific kit? In my situation do you think the 2.2 shock upgrade and performance steering stabilizer is worth the extra money?
Also, tell me things that the kit does not include that I will neeed to complete the lift. Here are a few things that ive researched and would like to know if I have it right. I dont want to dump alot of money into it so lemme know. replacement yj brake hoses, sye kit and another front DS?

thanks guys and lemme know

Put this kit on my 87 in december mine didnt need a new front ds did add new extended braided brake lines..be sure to look at pics and directions good cause i installed some wrong where i didnt think stuff was specific enough..people will tell you sye depends on each vehicle

You will need a sye on your year..Older ones not as bad, but i still needed to drop my t-case a 1"..(mine is a 89).. Buy the longer brake lines..I would also upgrade the shocks..You are buying the kit from RC right, not from JC Whitney? Do a search on ROUGH COUNTRY and read the write ups..You will also find JASON who works for RC on here..You can get a nice discount if you become a RED LETTER member..It will pay for it's self trust me..

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME to NAXJA

Yea definately buy it from them and it will be at your door in couple days i learned that the hard way.i liked there kit but added 2 more inches on top of it.

hey man, here's my 2 cents on the lift. i put one in my 97 cherokee 2 years ago so i do have a few things to say about it. first of all, for the money its a good lift. at the time they didnt have the long arm lift available. so my opinion would be to buy the lang arm kit. i upgraded to the bds long arm kit and it was a night and day difference all around. ride quality with the short arm kit was not that great and i had alot of problems with the arms themselves. buy they have since upgraded them so you might not have the same problems i did. I ran my jeep with out a SYE for a year and had no problems. only reason i upgraded was because i do some pretty heavy wheeling and i also had some driveline vibes. I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a better set of shocks. imho, the basic shocks that come with the lift are garbage. but that is just me. after three months they were starting to rust and the other day i was under my jeep and hit one of the rears with a wrench and it made a ting sound. it should be a deeper sound than it was. also the rubber bushings in the front wore out quickly front studder bumps and such. But the only other problem that i have with the lift is the front springs seemed to have sagged alot. when i put the lift in it sat somewhat level. i have since put a bumper and a winch on, and to compinsate i added some coil spacers and it still seems to be sitting lower than it did. all that said, even with the cons, i do think that for the money it is a great lift. and rough country stands by there product very well. just to give you an example, my upper control arms had alot of slop in them and was actually caused alot of promblem in my front end. rough country replaced them no questions asked. also, one of my rear leafs bent. i sent them some pictures and they sent me a new leaf pack, again, no questions asked.
i hope this all helps.

oh forgot to add, make sure you get some extended break lines. they are a must. i ended up using some out of a ford f-250 that my dad had lying around only because at the time i didnt have the money for good SS brake lines.

I bought my kit 6.5 complete with shocks, a little stiff for my taste but worth the $$ adj uca/lca, drop pit arm, drop tc kit, rr leaf pack, shackles, ss lines, shock boots, adj track bar ( a little weak though I am not rough on my jeep, will upgrade later.) frt springs, and discos from Jason all for around 1k to my door. A great price for all the components. You must get the CAD system to near parallel the lca. Rocky Road had the best value. If u don't get the control arm drop u will hate the ride and will need a kidney belt. LOL

I opted for the 4.5 springs since i wasn't going that high all other parts remained the same, that way I could easily upgrade to 6.5 with polys up frt and not be forced into a SYE right away

95XJ AUTO 4.5 RC FULL ACA'S 4.56 33X10.50 BFG AT FRT LOCKED

Last edited:
Back