• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In-cab Floor Jack Storage

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I figured this was a "tool" related item, anyhow...
I picked up a HF floor jack on the cheap recently and I would like to find a way to mount it securly and quitely in the bed of the jeep.
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html thats what I traded for.
I know that there are different purchaseable mounts, but being a cheapo and one who likes to build I am looking for a storage idea. I have been thinking of using pvc tubes to store the handle and some type of cradle to store the body. I am leaning towards a mount for the drivers side wall? I have a 235 spare on the floor, but am open to moving it. Hope to have it on a swing by spring? Ive looked at the jeepspeed guys, but most of them are cage mounted. Any ideas would be apreciated.

Last edited:
The best idea would be to return the jack and buy a real one,it might save a life in the long run!

you can build something like this
jackmount.jpg

jackmount1.jpg

The best idea would be to return the jack and buy a real one,it might save a life in the long run!

theres nothing wrong with harbor freight jacks. I bought 2 about 3 years ago and use them atleast twice a week and have never had a problem with them

That is along the lines of what I have seen... In my head I have something of a "pocket" along those lines that the jack can slide into and then be strapped down securely. I would like to mount this device on the drivers side of the trunkwall, where the factory spare used to be.

me and a friend went out and bought racing jacks, he bought harbor freight, i bought craftsman at about twice the price....

his hf has never failed to securely lift a vehicle... i cannot count the ammount of times ive thrown the craftsman in rage after it has consistantly failed to work...

dont bash hf here, its not justified.

Not sure how to make a mount to slide it in but I like the idea DualPurposeXj posted up. I also use a harbor freight jack with no problems. Ive had it for 4 years now and still works fine. I use it almost every weekend lol. Just make sure you use the proper jackstand with the jack.

Not sure how to make a mount to slide it in but I like the idea DualPurposeXj posted up. I also use a harbor freight jack with no problems. Ive had it for 4 years now and still works fine. I use it almost every weekend lol. Just make sure you use the proper jackstand with the jack.

Yeah,but who carry's a jackstand in their rig?

While it is true that the HF racing jacks will lift a vehicle, I had quite a bit of fun when it decided not to lower at all. Had to use two scissor jacks, and a stack of wood to get the vehicle high enough to get the jack out.

No problems with my HF bottle jack though. Guess it all depends on the kid chained to a bench that assembles em...

While it is true that the HF racing jacks will lift a vehicle, I had quite a bit of fun when it decided not to lower at all. Had to use two scissor jacks, and a stack of wood to get the vehicle high enough to get the jack out.

No problems with my HF bottle jack though. Guess it all depends on the kid chained to a bench that assembles em...

craftsman jacks are made in china as well as torin. what floor jack do you run now that isnt made in china?

I use a HF bottle jack in lieu of a floor jack. HF stuff goes one of two ways for me:
1. works great, exceeds expectations, breaks eventually due to abuse
2. crap, right out of the box. Sometimes it can be tinkered with/improved, sometimes i take it right back, then dig through the other boxes to find one not made on a monday or friday

Guess it all depends on the kid chained to the bench that assembles em...

For on the road use, I might prefer a floor jack. On the trail a bottle jack would be much better and a floor jack unsafe, as RCP eluded to. Naw, I rather have the bottle jack under both circumstances.

theyre for changing tires, not servicing your rear differntial on the side of the road.
most of the time you would be in more danger from other traffic WHILE changing the tire, than from the vehicle falling on you during the same operation. do you guys hang out inside the wheel well or what?

theyre for changing tires, not servicing your rear differntial on the side of the road.
most of the time you would be in more danger from other traffic WHILE changing the tire, than from the vehicle falling on you during the same operation. do you guys hang out inside the wheel well or what?

I also carry a aluminum floor jack when wheeling, I prefer it over any other type of jack.

Have not found the time to work on this... but still thinking about it. I honestly hate bottle jacks, they are slow and combersome and seem so tippy.

someone at rocktoberfest had a bottle jack/jackstand that they got from tractor supply. it was awesome for use out of the trail.

in terms of mounting a floor jack i would use the pocket idea or just a flat sheet with bends up on each side and then use something to tie over it. rubber strap or somthing.

Its been on the back burner but... still in my mind. Does anyone have a good picture of behind the plastic, driverside 98 4dr. I would like to see the bracing and where I can anchor.
Also wondering from a tech point, would it be bad? to mount a jack on its side and to have it stored with pressure on the piston. aka using the piston pressure on the lift pad to press against a plate to sandwich it in against the interior sidewall?

That weight of a jack doesn't seem like I good idea on the isideof the fender well. And I sure as he'll wouldn't use a rubber strap to hold it like mentioned a few posts back. Maybe a type of mount made of tubing to hold it. The jack is kinda heavy and bouncing around in the back of the jeep just seems like it would rip off of the sheet metal.

Rubber strab no. That seems sketchy to me as well. As to the rear fender... Im interested in sandwiching some heavier metal between the stock reinforcements and going from there. In my 88 I found a way to sammy a couple of 1/8 bars behind the stock tire carrier and sammy some diamond plate in to create a new 30" accceptable tire carrier. Im looking to do something like that for the jack.

I use a 12 ton bottle jack for my F250 PSD and a 3 ton harbor freight floor jack for everything else. Both work great I but I always use jack stands.

My 2 1/2 ton Crapsman can't even lift a tire on my 1 1/4 ton mustang and it cost me over 2x the HF.

Back