• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Student's welded the exhaust manifold, installed motor mounts, and reassembled the manifolds on the Heep. Only issue is my cooling fan shroud (mechanical) finally bit the dust and broke off (that top 'loop). Do you guys replace those or leave em? Only concern is the coolant overflow hose is right there...

Student's welded the exhaust manifold, installed motor mounts, and reassembled the manifolds on the Heep. Only issue is my cooling fan shroud (mechanical) finally bit the dust and broke off (that top 'loop). Do you guys replace those or leave em? Only concern is the coolant overflow hose is right there...

You would be surprised how much shrouds affect cooling.

Wouldn't be a good example to the students to say f' shrouds...

You would be surprised how much shrouds affect cooling.

Wouldn't be a good example to the students to say f' shrouds...

You're right, but this vehicle already goes above and beyond what I typically teach. Looks like I'm off to the boneyard after school.

Anybody know of a good junkyard option for 16" 5 on 4.5 rims?

Or do I just buy some new steelies and forget it?

You're right, but this vehicle already goes above and beyond what I typically teach. Looks like I'm off to the boneyard after school.

Good luck finding one in good shape. They are typically broke beyond use or gone.

I recall buying one off ebay for $12 or so, with free shipping.

...and if a few months you can explain to them that it's not their fault the manifold broke around the weld, cuz it will. the only fix is replacement.

you need to have the shroud, like Brennan said, if for nothing other than teaching them the right way to do things.

Back when my trans mount let go, I took mine off until I could replace the mount (engine tilted up enough that the fan was hitting the shroud). Haven't put it back on yet and haven't seen any ill effects...

pulled pork cheese fry's from Wendy's. a delicious meat cheese and tater delivery system.

Anyone know how similar old sbc mounts are compared to an ls motor...

There is a guy near me selling an mj with a 350...not really for me but I know people who want to build an ls mj...

...and if a few months you can explain to them that it's not their fault the manifold broke around the weld, cuz it will. the only fix is replacement.

you need to have the shroud, like Brennan said, if for nothing other than teaching them the right way to do things.

Ohh, we already discussed this. I've already shown them the new one that will take its place, along with a new down-pipe and exhaust system. This is a band-aid to get me through wheeling Gilbert MN next weekend. After that the Jeep is done for the year and will get tore back apart and new exhaust system installed. Already have a shroud coming from the local boneyard too.

Anyone know how similar old sbc mounts are compared to an ls motor...

There is a guy near me selling an mj with a 350...not really for me but I know people who want to build an ls mj...

I used the SBC standard motor mounts and fastened them to some custom made plates that attached to the LS block. It was an hour project and saveed me several $$$. You can get the basic idea by looking up the LS conversion packages for mounts at Classic Parts.com

Cheese "beveled allen heads made for a clean install" Man

Here is the plate I made for each side. I measured back to where I wanted the motor placed for the oil pan to clear the cross member. More measuring than fabbing. The standard SBC motor mount will bolt right up and then bolt assembly to the LS block. Easy....

IMG_20130527_193001_173_zps75267963.jpg

Cheese "shiney black" Man

Registered the newtome RV with the DMV today.

I paid sales tax in MI, but since its only 6% up there and 7% in Indiana, I had to pay another 1% on the amount that was the difference between the trade in and the one I purchased.

I had just renewed the plates a month ago and got credit towards registering the plates I renewed toward the newtome one.

Then they told me that I had a credit on my account, some misappropriate excise taxes...I didn't pay a thing to switch things around or pay the sales tax AND they are sending me a check for $90...

mac 'doesn't work out like that very often' gyvr

No, I didn't need that 8 days worth of pay to pay my rent......wtf people...

Back