• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I must admit... they all have plenty of issues, but Ford makes the best pickups IMO. Not that I don't like my Duramax, and I think it has a decent powertrain, but I've driven the old F350 a few times lately and it's still just an all around solid truck.

my junk has never illuminated a check engine light.

never.

But every 80,000 miles (or so) divided by the average miles per hour that AMC thought people drove in the 80s, you get that pesky Check Emissions light... well, knowing you I'm sure your timer box has long since been removed.

By the way Josh, I am considering doing a M4 build. so feel free to pm me or call & tell me what works & what didn't. Guess I'll let you be the guenie pig. Are you doing all mail order, going to Cabella's or other vendor?
I've actually been trying to find the least expensive parts. Everything I've ordered has been mil-spec so the only thing I will worry about are the bolt and the barrel. But to actually answer your question, I've been sourcing everything online from a few different places. I'll shoot you a pm with some linky's.
doug is correct.

although I've never had a problem with steel/aluminum cased stuff in anything. dad's shot plenty out of his 1911 as well. Don't drop the slide on a round in the chamber. Always feed from the magazine.
I had some extracting issues with the steel cases in a Bersa 9mm. Owner of the weapon is new to guns and worried there was something wrong with his extractor. Literally every round needed to have the mag dropped and re-rack the slide to get it to grab the case again. I fully loaded a mag with brass rounds and ran through the whole mag without issue. He was happy. Some weapons just don't like steel. :dunno:
8000+ rounds on my XD .45 Tac and still 100%. 95% of it was brass. The other casings definitely aren't as clean cycling imho.

Clean them. Get good solvents and lubes. Get familiar with taking them apart and keep an eye on wear points: chamber throats, extractors, barrel bushings etc. Being not afraid to take them apart and do maintenance is the biggest thing I can think of; with that then you get familiar how they work and you're doing an inspection of sorts.
Yeah, this for sure. I've had no issues with my Sigma (which everybody who hasn't shot it hates). I have taken it all down to just the frame a couple times, disassembled the slide, cleaned and oiled the parts and have always ran brass. Though I am buying bulk .223 with steel cases for my M4. If it doesn't run, I'll sell it. It's always in demand.

Give me a good reason to check my spark plugs also, haven't done that for a couple years (I know, should check them every year).
Spark plugs are supposed to be good for 100K. Don't need a reason other than a misfire.
If you're gonna go through the trouble of checking them just spend the $12 and change them.
But this trumps it.
they are still in the garage..
Heh!
My wiring is so facked i wouldn't trust a code if it was thrown.
It could at least be a good platform to start from if your crap don't run...
my Jeep has no codes, there is nothing wrong
HA! Really got a good chuckle out of me.
The two blue products I actually want.

ford_2012-shelby-gt500_f34_ns_40611_717.jpg

This is more of a general photo, but any SD I do like but like the old Powerstrokes mostly.

2012_Ford_Super_Duty_F-450_XL.jpg
I want a million dollars and a carload of spending money...

Another topic. We were watching some end of the world show today. I grisly dont believe anything is going to happen, but, you never know right? (Y2K lol).

Who here maybe has enough canned/dried food to make it a week of two without outside power or resources? I m not talking crazy prepper crap, just enough to get you and your family by for awhile.
I'll go ahead and say it. I am a prepper. I'm not a crazy, build a bunker in my basement kinda prepper. We (as a family) have been exploring self-reliant techniques. Alternative fuels, gardening, etc. We have also been looking into bulk foods. We commonly have a lot of canned food around already, but Jennie is the real canner of the family.

I keep telling Meganne's dad that he needs to get a diesel generator and we need to run it on biodiesel. I'd like to be off the grid, but that's an expensive undertaking.

Last edited:
I got the 5.9 radiator flushed tonight.

Got the K&N cleaned.

Got the rear hatch to open (dang thing is RUSYY!)

Now the sensor somewhere is jacked cause the jeep thinks the hatch is open when its not and the dome lights stay on...I tried everything to by pass the sensor that thinks its open...

finally came inside...

mac 'dang wrenching on things that are 14 years old' gyvr

Well my first night of second shift went good. The press I was working on takes 21 minutes between cycles so I had time to ask alot of questions to the supervisor training me. I picked up quite a bit tonight so tomorrow I will be going to operate two other press machines that have 4 minute cycles. That should keep me busy. :D

So far I am happy with my job, granted it has only been one day. There is only six of us on second shift so there isn't much drama, except for the two douche bags across from me tonight. They cannot even read a tape measure let alone run a $250,000.00 machine and they screwed off all night. I don't think they will be employed much longer, and they have only been there three weeks.

It is going to take a little getting used to working 3pm-1am, but I really don't think it is going to to bad. I will be going to first shift around December so I will look forward to that. :thumbup:

I got the 5.9 radiator flushed tonight.

Got the K&N cleaned.

Got the rear hatch to open (dang thing is RUSYY!)

Now the sensor somewhere is jacked cause the jeep thinks the hatch is open when its not and the dome lights stay on...I tried everything to by pass the sensor that thinks its open...

finally came inside...

mac 'dang wrenching on things that are 14 years old' gyvr
Get used to it, that & it will tell you the coolant is low, when it's not.

From what I've read this is caused by a broken solder connection in the information center. Many have been able to open it up, fix the solder joint and get it working again.

From what I've read this is caused by a broken solder connection in the information center. Many have been able to open it up, fix the solder joint and get it working again.
Just to lazy for that, mine says coolant low, sometime rear hatch open, and the clock just blinks numbers at you.

True! I've owned a gas silverado, a gas ram, and now a diesel ford. Ford is by far my favorite. 20 MPG in a 3/4 ton pickup that is 15 years old and has 280k.

Best of luck! Still in the manufacturing field?

Another topic. We were watching some end of the world show today. I grisly dont believe anything is going to happen, but, you never know right? (Y2K lol).

Who here maybe has enough canned/dried food to make it a week of two without outside power or resources? I m not talking crazy prepper crap, just enough to get you and your family by for awhile.

Same company did division. Engineering manager......

I keep 3 weeks of food ranging from MRE, canned fruits, veggies, vacuum sealed dry goods, and one pallet of drinking water totaling 800 gallons.

My family has done this no matter what. I've had no power or running water for 2+ weeks out here due too a tornado.

MRE's yummy, that's one of the things I miss, that & the people I met.

I am officially the owner of a 1967 Chevy step side short box. Going to drive out to get it a week from Saturday. MAJOR project since it is a rolling chasis and a gutted cab and everything else is in boxes or in the bed. No drive train but it will be receiving a full 5.3 w/ auto drivetrain. Already have a line on some drop spindles and coils....gonna roll 18's up front, 20's in the back and probably even wear my hat backwards.

Cheese "new projects rock" Man

I am officially the owner of a 1967 Chevy step side short box. Going to drive out to get it a week from Saturday. MAJOR project since it is a rolling chasis and a gutted cab and everything else is in boxes or in the bed. No drive train but it will be receiving a full 5.3 w/ auto drivetrain. Already have a line on some drop spindles and coils....gonna roll 18's up front, 20's in the back and probably even wear my hat backwards.

Very nice! Still needs More Jeep....:D

Sounds nice, damn hat backwards. better not turn into a flatbiller!:D

Same company did division. Engineering manager......

Good Luck. You liking it in West by god Virginia?

I keep 3 weeks of food ranging from MRE, canned fruits, veggies, vacuum sealed dry goods, and one pallet of drinking water totaling 800 gallons.

My family has done this no matter what. I've had no power or running water for 2+ weeks out here due too a tornado.

Defiinitely considering buying a decent amount of water.

Sounds like a sweet boat hauler.

The hatch indicator was working correctly until I had to pull the panel to get access to the latch to get it open. Once I got the latch to work (adjusted it), I buttoned everything back up and the indicator stayed on saying it was still open.

I need to find a wiring diagram to by pass it.

This one says that the coolant sensor is BAD. Unfortunately I have found at least three sensors in the coolant lines that could be bad...so I don't know which one to replace.

I also found out that the 242 tcase I have in the garage that I was going to use is older and not as good of a candidate for the swap. I thought it was out of a 96 but now that I think about it, I got it from Woddy and its out of a 91...so I'll be searching for a 97 to 01 242 from an XJ.

mac 'swapping fluids' gyvr

My hatch is rusted closed too. Also VIC says coolant is low and tail light is out. I plan on ditching the VIC and putting a AFR and Trans temp gauges there.

Back