• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition upgade ideas

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found very little. I was wondering if you guys had some ideas on ignition. whats good whats junk, and if its a worthy mod on the 4.0 H.O. I have a 94 H.O. and was thinking of doing this ,but wanted to know if you guys might have been here and done this and could teach a young jedi. Joe

Well I had a Jacobs. What a waste of $$$. Couldn't tell any difference, & it ended up shorting out, after warranty. What I have found, is that you are going to drop about $400, & get minimal performance increase, with just about any ignition, applied to a HO 4.0.

Rob $.02

There's nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade your ignition, but diong it to a production engine usually doesn't net much improvement - ignition mods are best done to accompany something else.

That being said, I think MSD is probably your best bang for the buck - there's too many bad reports from the field on Jacobs' kit, and they're enough that I'm not encouraged with trying it myself.

OTOH, with something like 18 years of experience with MSD kit, and several dozen installed systems (upgraded or MSD entirely!) I can't think of anything bad to say about them. The few times I've had a problem iwth them, they've made it right - and the stuff has generally lasted (unless REALLY abused!) once in reliable service. Probably costs less than Jacobs as well - I haven't compared the two.

I have the MSD catalogues and info I've been getting for research purposes, and I can help you select parts if you like. PM or email ([email protected] - business addy I check about 1/day) for more info.

5-90

Ive had just the opposite experience with MSD, i've killed 2 MSD 6 Offroad boxes in the last year and am ready to install the 3rd box now. Do a search for MSD or Ignition with me in the posts. There's alot of info out there.

Iwill agree with MSD making it right but it's still a PITA to have to deal with it in the first place.

Dingo

Really? I've used a lot of 6-Series boxes, but since I've not used a 6-Offroad yet, I can't say that from experience.

I do recall hearing something recently that the 6-Offroad is kind of a "second" line of the 6-Series, just put in a black case with a different sticker. Perhaps that has something to do with it, but I've not been able to confirm it yet...

5-90

5-90 said:
Really? I've used a lot of 6-Series boxes, but since I've not used a 6-Offroad yet, I can't say that from experience.

I do recall hearing something recently that the 6-Offroad is kind of a "second" line of the 6-Series, just put in a black case with a different sticker. Perhaps that has something to do with it, but I've not been able to confirm it yet...

5-90

That's exactly what MSD tech told me, that it was there cheapest guts put in a fancy box. one ofthere techs told be to buy anything but the 6 offroad and then send it to MSD to have them add more "humiseal" (the spongy silicone looking stuff that seals the box) then buy a set of the rubber vibration mounts and add your weatherpack connectors. This is basically what they to the 6 offrad but they start with cheapest guts, prolly the msd-5 series?.

Dingo

sloppyjoe said:
I did a search and found very little. I was wondering if you guys had some ideas on ignition. whats good whats junk, and if its a worthy mod on the 4.0 H.O. I have a 94 H.O. and was thinking of doing this ,but wanted to know if you guys might have been here and done this and could teach a young jedi. Joe

The stock ignition is already very good right out of the box. I'd suggest you do the following:

Accel brass cap & rotor
Magnecor KV85 plug wires
Autolite plugs

The stock coil is very good but if it decides to take a dump, a new stock replacement or an MSD 8228 Blaster coil will get the job done.
Don't bother adding Jacobs, MSD, or indeed any other ignition system. You'll be wasting your money for no gain.

What about the Mopar High Performance plug wires cap and rotor. Are they worth it?

hello all;

I just wanted to post my experience with the msd 6a ignition box. My '96 xj is the 4.0 auto 4x4. With the msd, the engine runs smoother and feels a little stronger. I also have insulated the airbox, k&n flat replacement filter and opened up the air inlet port; ignition wires are BW select.

I had the msd in for 5 weeks and then it failed. It would quit, once it cooled down; it would run again for about 10-15 minutes. My wholesaler agreed to check it out and sent it back to me saying it was good; to check my connections and grounds. I did that and put extra ground straps on. But I didn't trust this unit so I installed spade clips so that I could unplug it and bypass to the stock ignition which works fine. Same thing again-it was not the coil, I had the stock coil and the msd 8228 coil.

I took it back again and this time they would give me a replacement. I asked to switch to another make. Crane has one but a little pricey; so I bought the Mallory hyfire 6a; it's digital for less money ..Time will tell about the durability.Also I am trying the msd 8202 blaster coil which is 45000 volt vs 35000 for the 8228. Both coils are mounted and I can switch over. I can also revert to the stock system if failure occurs.

actualy there is some things u can do i have a crane hi-6 ignition with there 11 mm plug wires let me tell u there is a noticeable difference thats y i did not go msd u can also add an adjustable box between your crank sensor it is for gm stuff search on street performance for "spark translator" and u should see my posts also i have cranes recomended coil for that box.

The mallory hyfire works well with the msd blaster 2 coil; I compared the resistance of the bw select and the Kem mag plus wires; both spiral wound low cost silicone 7mm wires; the bw select wire was lower in resistance and performed better for me. There is a tech. article by hot rod magazine which is very interesting, search for "coil tuning. I have the msd 8228 and the msd 8202; the 8202 works better for me.

I will have to look at getting a mandrel bent down pipe and electric fan to replace the clutch fan.

x2 w/ Dyno. I've used both Jacobs which I had a net loss with and am now running the "firepower" coil from DUI w/ MSD wires and have a net gain of zero. I do like DUI's brass cap and rotor, but other than that I will replace my wires w/ Magnecor wires wires when the MSD's go.

Back