• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If WSDOT says chains are required.....

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Does that mean they are still required if your in a 4 wheel drive?

I mean if you see a lifted jeep that is obviously off road capable i wouldnt figure you would be hassled...

Anyways, Someone please answer....

Thanks

Exception for all wheel drive vehicles: when "chains required" signs are posted, all-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from the chain requirement when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. However, the patrol can require chains on all-wheel drive vehicles as well, if conditions warrant their use.

http://ci.marysville.wa.us/Police/Winter_Driving.doc.

Last edited:
Look for the snowflake on your tires

SSE_450x300.jpg

WSDOT can require chains required even on 4WD vehicles in SEVERE circumstances. I have never seen it actualy happen, but it has. And you are still required by law to CARRY chains regardless.

M+S is not the same, that is on almost every tire, including passenger highway tires.

WSDOT said:
An approved traction tire, whether on a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle or a standard vehicle, must have at least an eighth of an inch of tread and be labeled M&S, All Season, or have a Mountain/Snowflake symbol. These tires can be used year round. When you install approved chains, any tire becomes a traction tire. For more information on your specific vehicle and its traction tire options, contact your local tire dealer.

you are still required by law to CARRY chains regardless.

Not anymore

WSDOT said:
Do I need to carry chains when traveling through the pass?
Passenger vehicles are not required to carry tire chains but WSDOT recommends all drivers carry chains

There are usually different levels of "chain requirement."

As I recall here in CA:

Chains R1: Required to have tyre chains available, four-wheel-drive vehicles with an aggressive tread tyre are exempt.

Chains R2: Require to have tyre chains mounted, four-wheel-drive vehicles iwth an aggressive tread tyre are required to have them available.

Chains R3: All vehicles required to have tyre chains mounted.

I just find it amusing that the last time I had to drive through an R2 in my 87 some years back, CHP asked to see my chains. So I held up my tow chain bag, and they passed me.

I drove up 80 dead straight at a solid 40mph in 4HI on four nearly-bald BFG A/Ts. I'm seeing idiots in FWD vehicles with tyre chains on the back, or 2WD pickups with tyre chains on the front - and they're sliding all over the place. Do they just not teach people how to drive out here?

Back home, when wintertime would hit, I'd throw a bag of rock salt and a bag of play sand in the well behind the backseat of my Bug. Things got bad, I'd open one or the other and use it to get out (we had a water softener - so rock salt - and my kid sister had a sandbox - so play sand.) I never even heard of chains until I came out to CA, then I wondered why you'd wrap your tyres in chains anyhow (seemed easier to me to just actually learn to drive properly in the snow...)

What about studded tires? Do they work in lieu of chains?
No. Chains are chains. Best way to deal with this is get some M&S rated tires then toss CHAINS in the rig and when smokey tells you to chain up, do so.

hasta

oregon has to have severe weather rated tires not just M+S tires.
I pulled this up on ODOT's Website-

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainNav=RoadConditions&staticNav=ChainLaws

So I figure if you're not doing 180s on the highway you're good... right? Exemptions

In typical winter conditions, the following vehicles are completely or partially exempt from the chain law. However, in very bad winter road conditions all vehicles may be required to use chains regardless of the type of vehicle or type of tire being used (this is known as a conditional road closure). A conditional road closure may occur on any of Oregon's highways and are frequent in the winter on Interstate 5 through the Siskiyou Pass south of Ashland:

1. Police vehicles, and fire vehicles, ambulances, and Department of Transportation highway maintenance vehicles when performing their duties.
  2. A four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle if all of the following statements are true:

a) It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
    b) It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
    c) It is carrying chains;
    d) It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
    e) It is not towing another vehicle;
    f) It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.
  3. Utility company vehicles, such as water, power, or heat, when providing emergency response services.
  4. A bus that is over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) due only to accessibility modifications for disabled persons is exempt from the chain requirements for vehicles rated over 10,000 GVW unless it is towing or being towed.
  5. Motorcycles are exempt from the requirement to carry chains or traction tires and may not travel when chains or traction tires are required on all or certain vehicles.
Note: Although exempt, ODOT vehicles use mud and snow tires and chains in most winter situations. Studded tires are not used on ODOT vehicles because of the damage such tires cause to the highway.

Yeah, I've talked to the coppers up on Mt. Hood a bit about it, and they pretty much said if you are driving a rig that looks like it wheels (i.e.: lifted, big tires, etc) they aren't going to give you crap UNTIL the signs say CHAINS REQUIRED. Even then, I've gone up to Mt. Hood a few times in my previous Bronco II (that had the snow flake on the tire) and they never made me stop.

And about the snow flake, every cop I've talked to said when the signs say CHAINS OR TRACTION TIRES REQUIRED, that you have to have the snow flake on your traction tires. But since you showed the above, thats good info!

Back