• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I realy need help.

impetus-93xj said:
it seems to run for about 10 mins or so then die. also if I run it for a minute and shut it down it wont start again. if I turn the key on the fuel pump will go on for a second and build pressure but if I press the button on the fuel rail it sprays one burst of fuel and thats it. I have two spare fuel pumps so I'm going to change this one and see.

Is it in the tank?

if this was a carberated engine i would do just that but since I know nothing about injection where do I enter the fluid?

Can you get a gauge first? Its a pita to pull the pump.

With a gauge you should see this:

key on - full pressure (39psi????) whatever the spec is
Crank and start- it will drop a little as it starts and then hold steady
shut engine off- it should hold pressure
if it has leaked down- turn key on and it should go back to system pressure

I would try to duplicate the problem and do the starting fluid trick, it will tell you a lot. When you say it wont restart, do the starting fluid trick then also. While someone is cranking it over shoot it a little and see if it fires. Your trying to pin point fuel or ignition. When it has run and wont restart, pull a plug wire, put a screwdriver or something in the boot and hold the screwdriver near the block and see if it has lost spark at that moment. I don't know your ability, and I don't want to sound like your Dad, but be careful, have a fire extinguisher around. Just don't want to see your garage burn down. Just as the engine can run when fuel and ignition are provided, your stuff can burn to the ground also.

The air is picked up at the front of the air filter housing I believe. Im not sure, I have a 2000. Can you pull the big hose off the air box? Or lift the air filter cover

not to go back to the initial suggestions, but..... did you sctually clean the cps sensor? rather than just the plug? My rig had pretty much the exact same symptoms, and that fixed it. like I said before, it's the sensor on the top of the transmission bellhousing on the drivers side. Seriously... try it.

I couldn't go anywhere for fear of it dying on me... Now I can wheel it all day without problems.

tayman said:
not to go back to the initial suggestions, but..... did you sctually clean the cps sensor? rather than just the plug? My rig had pretty much the exact same symptoms, and that fixed it. like I said before, it's the sensor on the top of the transmission bellhousing on the drivers side. Seriously... try it.

I couldn't go anywhere for fear of it dying on me... Now I can wheel it all day without problems.
I'll give that a try too I just looked under there and wow... could be interesting to get to so if I pull it out then i'll change it for the hasle.

impetus-93xj said:
I'll give that a try too I just looked under there and wow... could be interesting to get to

Yeah, it's interesting..... use a couple extensions on a ratchet and you'll be fine... just don't drop anything INSIDE the tranny! it's a square hole for a round (smaller) sensor. I almost dropped the bolt a couple times!:doh:

impetus-93xj said:
I'll give that a try too I just looked under there and wow... could be interesting to get to

there are a lot of posts about the cps. Read up on it a little. The main thing is you dont want to drop the bolts in the bellhousing. Guys on here have spoke of their tricks. Tayman can probably fill you in

lol, JUST SAID THAT!!!!

reach one hand around the side of the bellhousing, while wrenching on the bolt with the other. then catch the bolt and washer when it comes out. or use a magnet...

oh, this only works if you have relatively small arms/hands...

haha, that works... I have pretty small hands, so I can feel around a bit easier than most...

Well I've eliminated fuel as the culprit. Pressure test says its good to go. whats next ? spark..... where to start ?:dunno: CPS I guess.

Did you see it die with the fuel gauge attached? So it didnt loose pressure when it died? If this is true it could still be loosing fuel if the injectors stop pulsing. When it wont start do you have spark. When it wont start di the starting fluid trick do anything?

I did the whole fuel check that you guys have been telling me and every thing is good but I just checked the resistsance of the CPS and it registers at 1.5 -2.0 ohms of resistance and as far as I know there should be none at all. so if thats true then the CPS is the culprit.??

well I finally got word from the shop and it looks like the ECM is shot ,at least that what the mec is saying. how bad is this ?

Back