• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I really sold out this time

Wasn't sure if my engine hoist would reach so we met up at the shop this morning and transferred the Hemi powertrain over to my trailer. Question is, does this count has having a Hemi Jeep or is this a Jeep powered Hemi? :D

Supposed to be 50 and sunny all week so I decided to tackle the cage add-ons I've had sitting in the garage. I had already done the poly b-pillar kit. Now I am going to add the Poison Spyder Customs c-pillar and front cage kits.

It only took me an hour to tear it all down by myself. It almost looks like a real Jeep now.

Here is the pile a crap I removed. I won't be putting half that crap back on either.

I'll be painting the rest of the factory cage with truck bed liner like I did the Poly Performance b- pillar kit. All those foam blocks and cloth covers are staying off.

Wasn't sure if my engine hoist would reach so we met up at the shop this morning and transferred the Hemi powertrain over to my trailer. Question is, does this count has having a Hemi Jeep or is this a Jeep powered Hemi? :D

Looks like an Underpowered Hemi JK.. ;)

I painted the factory cage once the c-pillar was in. I used Duplicolor Bed Liner, its what I used on my bumpers and it seems to work pretty well.

After I got the rear done I moved on to the total pain in the arse that is the front Poison Spyder Cage install. I had to chase all the threads on the tubing couplers after realizing the hard way that they weren't tapped worth a damn. The driver side a-pillar fit beautifully where it goes next to the dash, the passenger side one on the other hand doesn't fit worth a damn. I also need to chase the threads in it as well. The dash bar fit well enough once I figured out that I had it flipped around the wrong way. The top piece however doesn't fit worth a damn.
I finally got it all together just in time to clean up and watch the Avs beat the Blue Jackets 5 to 3.
Unfortunately it decided to snow today so I have to wait until tomorrow to take it apart, clean it, beat it back together, and then touch up all the paint I ruin beating it into place.

I'm also going to add in the upper windshield frame tie-ins from my stock cage, and add another hole to tie the top of the dash into the side plate. You can see the small button-head bolts on the side plate, those merely hold the dash to the plate. There is another tab closer to the top that isn't being utilized so I'm going to drill another hole. I'm also contemplating welding the spreaders to the factory b-pillar cross member and eventually I'll be adding a frame tie-in as well. The foot plates are in about the same location as the Poly ones so I can make a similar frame tie-in as theirs.

I got the Jeep all back together today, I'm glad I never have to install that thing again.

I should have just painted the thing before installing it. It would have saved me from fighting it twice. I did develop a good procedure though.

Step 1: Use a dead blow to beat the tubing coupler into place
Step 2: Run a thread chase down the hole for the bolt
Step 3: Install bolt loosely
Step 4: Move on to next coupler and repeat.

The tubing couplers fit ridiculously tight and I broke off 2 bolts in the piss poor thread jobs before I started just chasing every hole before inserting a bolt. I don't know if the threads were tapped that poorly or if it was a result of welding the tube couplers in when Poison Spyder put the pieces together. Either way its over with now.

Cage painted and installed

When I put the windshield back up and tightened down the brackets I noticed that it sat a good 1/2" closer to the b-pillar hoop. So I pushed it back forward with a clamp and cut off the upper windshield frame brackets from the factory spreaders. Then I welded them into place.

Then I began putting the carpet and interior back together. I got a little over zealous with the trimming on the windshield frame surrounds but they're in there and not too bad. I also trimmed down the speaker bar and rear dome light mount. I want to get rid of the rectangular tubing going across the back where the c-pillars are. I think this summer I'll cut it out and replace it with regular DOM tubing. Then I'll relocate the dome light to the Poison Spyder center section that goes between those two cross bars. The rectangular cross bar at the B-pillar doesn't bother me as it is covered up by the sound bar. I also left all of the foam and cloth covers off the cage.

All in all I'm happy with how it turned out. The front cage was a royal pain to install but after the second time it was done and will never be coming back out. Eventually I'll add a frame tie-in to it as well. Even as it is I'm sure it'll do its job and keep the family safe in the event of a roll over. I'm also going to add a harness bar at the c-pillar for a little bit of extra strength. I don't take it up hard trails but its good to have the extra security just in case.

Ran up to Iron Clads with my buddy Steve from COJeeps. A lot of the snow had apparently melted off but what was left had a good crust of ice and a layer of ice underneath. We got to a point where we just weren't making any progress so we busted out the chains. Here are the few pics I got.

This was my first time wheeling with chains and man does it make a difference. I wasn't 100% sure on the rules so I aired back up to 25psi prior to throwing the chains on. Still, once the chains were on we could pretty much just crawl right along whereas before we were throttling through the deep sections with lots of wheel spin and backing up. It was like going from open/open to locked/locked.

Last edited:
Little update. Played around in the cul de sac while my neighbor was getting ready to leave for EJS.

I forgot to unlock my sway bar so it leaned over pretty far climbing on top of that 41" Pitbull.

Then yesterday I scored a pretty good deal on a hard top from a 2011 JKU. My jeep originally had a hard top that the previous owner kept so I had the wiring harness for it. I did have to drill two holes for little alignment studs that were at the rear corners, must've been an extra one they added after my jeep was made.

This should be nice in the winter, once my soft top sells I'm getting soft doors and an extended bikini top for it.

Not my XJ in the garage, just one I was doing some work on.

Nope, I don't own anything from Germany anymore. I sold off my Audi as part of the process to get the JK. All we've got for cars is the wife's Kia Sportage SX and the JK. We've also got a few motorcycles.

Its been some time since I really updated this thread, I've just been busy doing other things.

After getting the hard top I decided to sell my soft top and reconfigure the "summer mode" as it were. I bought a Smitty Built extended bikini top and a Bestop windjammer. The windjammer is actually for the 2 dr JK as they don't make a wrap around one for the 4 dr's. It does fit pretty well though. I also pulled out my stinky rear carpet and sprayed truck bed liner on the rear tub. Eventually I want to get the entire tub professionally coated by Line-X or Rhino but that'll have to wait.

I brought the bed liner over the "bed rails" in the back to help with scratches.

While out wheeling the other weekend I had an opportunity to get a good side by side comparison (there is a pun there I think) and snagged some photo's showing just how big a Razor 4 seater is.

With my plush RE springs only netting me between 1-1.5" of actual lift (they're 2.5" springs) and my metric "35's" only measuring out to be just shy of 34" my belly is extremely low and likes to drag on everything. I've got just a hair over 11" under my skid plates from the T-case cross member back. As such I've managed to dent up my engine skid to the point that now my exhaust crossover rubs on it.

Now I need to take it into work and flatten it back out with the press, its just too wide to fit into my little HF press at home.

I've managed to wheel this thing a lot and have been hitting it pretty hard the last couple of weeks. I think I've ran 10 or 11 trails in the last 2 weekends. Nothing crazy hard by any means, but still enough that the JK was finally starting to complain. My front CV/Rzeppa Joint was starting to "pop" at me under hard load in 4-Low and it had a fair amount of play in it. The boot is fine and the grease inside is still greasy but it was time for an upgrade. I removed the front shaft and pulled the still functioning CV/Rzeppa of to keep as a trail spare for the rear drive shaft (it has two of the damn things on it). Then I installed my new Coast Driveline 1310 double cardon shaft and yokes I got through Northridge 4x4 just up the road from me.

I also finally installed the new shifter cable bushing at the t-case. I replaced the one inside the cab last fall as it was completely MIA but with the skids in place I couldn't get to the one at the t-case. It was also MIA but the cable never fell away from the t-case shifter so it wasn't a huge issue. With me pulling all the skids off for the driveshaft I finally had the access to replace that missing bushing.

That gets me caught up on the JK. Its been a pretty good rig so far and I'm happy with it for the most part. There is some issues with Chrysler's lack of build quality and the electronics can be temper mental but its by far the most comfortable wheeling rig I've owned, and that includes the YJ. The Hemi is still in the garage and will get installed eventually, but for now I want to focus on revising the suspension and steering. The RE 2.5" lift kit is a good bang/buck lift but its time to get some quality components under the thing and actually get the lift height that I was after. I'll be going to PolyPerformance/Synergy 3" springs and probably going to their control arms as well. I also need to weld on my Artec trusses still and regear the axles at the same time. Then I'll be working on upgrading the tie rod and doing a drag link flip. Eventually I also want to add air bumps so I can go even faster on the trails between obstacles. As always, its a money pit and will never be done.

Last edited:
My JKU is still on 33s. I can't stand it. Drives good, but it just looks small. And it also drags the belly everywhere. I bought some 37s, but I'm not sure I want to go that big. Once I decide, I'll hit you up for gears.

How is your tailgate doing with the 35? I'd like to get a bumper carrier, but I want one that attaches to the gate.

I'm running the full TeraFlex setup that replaces the factory hinges and tire carrier. It's doing fine.

Spent the afternoon yesterday working on the Jeep. I got my new Poly/Synergy 3" springs installed along with their adj track bar, track bar brace, and steering box brace.

Here is the RE 2.5" front spring next to the Poly 3" front spring

So up front with the RE springs I was showing about 1 5/8" lift over stock as measured

With the new Poly 3" Spring I'm now sitting at 3 5/8" over stock. I'm sure it'll settle down a bit though.

Out back I went from 1/2" of lift to around 4 3/8" of lift. So I'm really hoping they settle down.

It's sitting a lot higher now, I went from a tad over 11" under my belly slid at the transmission cross-member to roughly 14.5"

It still rides nice, actually I'd say better. It's firmer than the RE springs but very smooth and controlled. I also now have space between the bumpstops, so that's really nice.

Unfortunately my quasi-35's look rather small and dainty now, hopefully they don't make fun of me when I'm getting my latte at StarBucks. .!.. :D ..!.

Last edited:
Back