• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a new multimeter

I bought a Fluke 88 meter used off ebay for like $40. the display was wacky and the numbers were faded out on some of them. But I bought a kit to correct it on ebay also, for $25. The kit was easy to install, now I have a good working meter for $65. I am very pleased with it.

I'm a EE, so I have a nice 189 Fluke, but for the jeep, I keep a $3 Harbor Freight under the back seat. It does everything you need on a Jeep. The key is having a nice set of test leads and knowing how to use the meter.

I'm a EE, so I have a nice 189 Fluke, but for the jeep, I keep a $3 Harbor Freight under the back seat. It does everything you need on a Jeep. The key is having a nice set of test leads and knowing how to use the meter.

What identifies a nice set of test leads?

That all depends on what you use the multimeter for. I keep a pouch with all types of tips. I like a set of clip leads so you can connect to ground or what you are measuring. A good place to start for a vehicle is 6 feet. I have a set that are about 12 feet that work great for troubleshooting tail lights. I also have probes that have long needle tips so you can back probe connectors. If anybody is interested, I can lay out my set and take a pix.

I have this kit, but I also use it for work. Little pricy, but you get what you pay for. The nice thing about these is you can attach them and leave them on as you turn circuits on/off, etc. Alligator clips, small hooks, etc.

Also when you are choosing leads make sure to check out the markings for UL listing, category I, II, III, etc which gives you the safe ratings for use.

fluke_tlk_225_test_leads_probe.jpg

You can buy them individually too.

http://www.myflukestore.com/categories/view/test_leads_probes/page:2

cheap multimeter? Sinometer. I've had one kicking around and generally being abused for 15 years.

it's just now starting to have display failure. But it's been dropped in the mud, dropped on concrete and lived in a jeep for the last 8 years, so no complaints.
backlight is a worthy feature to have.

The multimeter I'm replacing was ruined in a flood - are there any value to a ruined MM or should I just toss it in the dumpster? It's a craftsman.

Back