• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

I like the v-bands. Since you solid mounted your exhaust where does it move with the engine?

I like the v-bands. Since you solid mounted your exhaust where does it move with the engine?

I have a flex section in the down pipe right before the crossmember. Also with the brown dog motor mounts, the engine doesn't move much at all. :)

fab123.jpg

That sounds reasonable. Tellya what, give me a couple years to get out of debt first & then see where you are with the shop & a completed kit.
Till then... keep up the good work ;)

Any way to get one of them fancy manifolds built out of regular steel instead of stainless for a few less $$ ??

Any way to get one of them fancy manifolds built out of regular steel instead of stainless for a few less $$ ??

whats funny though is mild steel schedule pipe costs almost as much as 304 stainless. Also the durability of a mild steel manifold would be much lower due to the heat cycles. 304+ stainless takes repeated heat cycles much better, while the mild steel gets very brittle and eventually cracks.

BTW, we still have 1 manifold available for $650 shipped! After that is sold, they are going back up to $750. ;)

Now you just need to make is carb legal so I can build one lol

Could post the e-test numbers? It would be interesting to see what the tolerances are for those in other jurisdictions.

Could post the e-test numbers? It would be interesting to see what the tolerances are for those in other jurisdictions.

Sorry it's taken me a while, but here they are:

Stats:
HC: .6636 of 4 Max
CO: 11.74 of 20 (not surprising since they let it so long)
CO2: 542.33 of (unlimited?)
NOX: 2.367 of 9

Interesting... Here are the values for the test I had done recently (stock 4.0). I'm guessing we are not using the same units here in Ontario.

Code:
               +--------------------------++--------------------------+
               |       ASM2525 Test       ||      Curb Idle Test      |
               |-------+---------+--------++-------+---------+--------+
               | Limit | Reading | Result || Limit | Reading | Result |
        HC ppm |    58 |      5  |  PASS  ||  150  |     5   |  PASS  |
           CO% |  0.32 |   0.01  |  PASS  || 0.70  |  0.00   |  PASS  |
        NO ppm |   652 |    136  |  PASS  ||  N/A  |   N/A   |   N/A  |
               |   RPM |   1674  |  VALID ||  RPM  |   747   |  VALID |
               | Dilution | 15.6 |  VALID || Dilution | 15.5 |  VALID |
               |----------+------+--------++----------+------+--------+

Could you check what units your test was using?

It's actually SAE/SI unit agnostic. ppm is parts per million, percent is percent.

Excellent write up and build, couple of questions though:

1. I remember calling AEM specifically about their Fuel Ignition controller and they informed me that they have no specific plug in harness for the Jeep Cherokee!,, Did they issue this recently or something.? Can you share more details about how you hooked your unit up?

2. It might sound a little bit off, but why a turbo?. Wont a supercharger give you nearly the same gain with the added bonus of having to do nothing about the exhaust manifold? I'm not an expert but it seems that a supercharged system will involve much less fabrication?

They don't have a direct plug in FIC for the cherokee. They do have a jumper harness however that allows you to make it plug and play. It's a little more work for you, but it's not hard at all.

Simply put... I love turbos. Super chargers are great and all, but they simply don't match a turbo in terms of efficiency and the overall fun factor. Also those of us that love turbos also love the fabrication involved to make it all work. If your looking for easy bolt on power, a supercharger might be best for you. However, if you like a challenge and the satisfaction you get from building your own system, a turbo is the only way to go. I could go on for days with the benefits a Turbo offer's over a supercharger but in the end, it's all up to you. :)

Back