• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long to regear?

This is now 5 weeks that they've had my axles and still only the rear is done.

2 days ago I was told they were starting on the front, and hopefully it would be easier than the rear. I was just told now that they are starting on the front, and hopefully it will be easier than the rear. :gonnablow

So are you on your way out to get them today? I would finished or not.
x2. If they told you 2 days they were starting on the front and they just started on it today, they're screwing with you.

New question...

How much was it for a shop to regear 2 axles?

i have a friend who does mine, he runs a sort of fab shop on the side. i pay him $250 an axle out of the truck but i think he charges 3-350 for other people depending on if theyre some dude who wants his stuff geared or if he knows the guy etc.

thats a few hours or so, depends on the axle, bearings, gearset, etc. i'd say normal time is about, 3-4 hours? if you gotta clean up the axle's internals, have trouble popping the carrier out... it'll take longer.
Wow, I've been undercharging. :laugh:

Seems about right.
New question...

How much was it for a shop to regear 2 axles?
You clean them first? What were the "issues from the previous owner"? I'm not sure I buy that line. Unless he needed to source an over-sized race for a spun bearing or something I don't care how out of whack the previous install was, start over with the new one. I've had people bring me axles that "mechanics" have installed and the gears won't even spin past each other. It does not take me longer on those gear sets then the ones that came in factory fresh.

I didn't touch em internally before I dropped em off. I don't remember exactly what his reason was for taking long on the rear axle, but it had to do with someone messing around in there (?) and screwing things up.

Anyways, after being told it would take a week and cost $1200, I waited 5 and a half weeks and the bill was over $1700.

I told him no, that's not how much it is, and walked out with my axles and payed $1400, which is roughly $100 more than the original quote plus tax.

You did get a detailed list of all the stuff they did to the axles, right?

Sometimes jobs run longer than expected. Anytime I drop anything (parts, vehicles, guns, ANYTHING) off for work I always make sure that they know to contact me if the job is going to take substantially longer or cost more than the price quoted.

There's a big difference between a week and ~a month and a half. Even if they had to replace everything in there, machine some stuff and do some cut and weld on the axle tubes that seems like a long time.

I have the receipt listing some prices.

The thing that got me was that I called probably 8-10 times in the past couple weeks, and I was never told about all these parts that needed to be replaced or that it would jack up the price. I would have taken the axles somewhere else at that point.

To see what the average time and price was to get a pair of axles regeared before I go get pissed at something that's normal and make myself look like an asshole.

I never asked for advice.

I take it back I did ask if I should demand a lower price. At least one person said yes, and I did.

You can refuse to pay for unauthorized repairs. Though it's a little late for that, proper tact might help get some money back.

BBB

Damn thats crazy. I dropped my Jeep off at a buddy's shop with all the parts ready to go. I had been given the wrong bearing kit for the rear end, so he had to get a new one, but even then it still only took 2 days until I picked it up ready to roll. That's with him working only after normal work hours because he's a full time mechanic with a side performance business. Paid $500 (friend rate) for two axles regeared and locker install.

If you were in the room you would have agreed that if I said anything lower than 1400 we were fighting. It wasn't a peaceful negotiation...it was intense.

Also I didn't have the quote in writing so I was pretty much just holding him to his word.

If you were in the room you would have agreed that if I said anything lower than 1400 we were fighting. It wasn't a peaceful negotiation...it was intense.

Also I didn't have the quote in writing so I was pretty much just holding him to his word.
Well, lesson learned, always get the quote in writing, even if the guy seems cool.

Back