• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How fast is your XJ?

yes for year of the aluminum heads. Um starting to work on videos to show what all i have in it and on and offroad test. I daily drive that jeep everyday year round. Ill put the vids up on this thread when i finish them.thanks

Sorry to be skeptical but a friend of mine pointed out once that there seems to be more Corvette motors out there than corvettes ever made lol. Where are all these corvettes without engines :D.

There could very easily be more vette motors than vettes. Yes, they only made so many vettes, but you still can walk into any gm dealership and order a factory motor for and year vette. And with alot of vette owners, if they have a problem in the motor, rather than fix a wrist pin, piston, or something stupid, they want the whole motor replaced.

My best in the 1320 was 17.4sec @ 76mph ..

Cough, BULLSHIT,cough. Unless you have a "worked" LS1 or Hemi in there. There is NO way a Cherokee has been 128mph in the 1/4. Thats a Low ten second mph.

No Hemi or LS, thanks. And FYI mine's not the fastest. 10.6 at altitude- there's one from MD that's gone around 9.6 or so, it wasn't an LS or Hemi either.

Don't be so closed-minded.

I just have one question. Why would anyone want to drive their 4X4 XJ/MJ over the speed limit? Lift, tires, QD's, Higher CG, slower reaction times, all make dangerous "how fast is your rig" competition, especially when its not on an approved track. Just my $.02

well u left it out. Yeah i didnt build mine but i have another 15gran in my pocket that the previous owner put in and the bulshit of doing it. Ur not always a hero if u build it. i loss 15 gran in my srt4 that i sold i had stg3 turbo kit and all the goodies i put on it. This time i was smart and bought something built.

everyday year round? what kind of gas mileage u get with that? maybe u live 5mins from work or what? i wouldnt believe u get over 10mpg in that jeep. If ur running high 10's ur gearing gotta be pretty low and with a 401 it gotta be eating up the gas. Looks like u dont have front hub unlocks so u must not have the front drive shaft hooked up. So tell me ur whole story other then u built it and drive it everyday.

Last edited:
You're right, I don't drive it if it's really cold or even slightly damp. It's E85 fuelled which doesn't really like cold starts too well. It's also 2WD now despite the 4x4 badges still stuck to it. The gears are actually 3.31's right now and it gets a whopping 5 mpg on my 10 minute drive to work.

I do trailer it to the racetrack as lots of power tends to be hard on things and I usually race it with Bullet mufflers, which don't do much muffling and would leave me stone deaf after an hour drive. Last year I blew up the rear D44 once and head gaskets another time, which to me justifies towing it.

Anyway, with the full exhaust on I'll drive it at highway speeds as far as I want to go, considering E85 availability on the route and economics of putting fuel in it. Gotta have some tradeoffs, right? So, exclusively trailer queen- no.

There really isn't a 'whole story of the vehicle', it is what it is, dinosaur uncommon v-8 with some nitrous dropped under the hood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQJ_ki1vb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJEYdNbEI_8

Here is the vids of my jeep test so far. Um tired of hybrid v8 xj or mj or wrangler for that matter that show 1/4mile run or a burnout and dont give the specs or tell the whole story of the vehicle.

Why would you be tired of people not telling the whole story??? Who are you and why is it even your business? Do you think you are the coolest guy around because you have an sbc in your xj?? There are other V8 xjs around here sweeter than yours. Try to be a little more appreciative of what other people have and not think that yours is the only cool one around. I'm not gonna knock that you didn't build yours, but the guys I know running a V8 did build thiers', which ups the cool factor considerably. Chill a little.

i found out my jeep had a governor recently...

97 w/ manuel transmission and 31s:
-hammered third gear (wasnt red lining), wouldnt go over 95
-shifted to 4th and still wouldnt go any faster.

maybe it was for the best, she felt like she was going to fall apart. lol. as for 1/4 mile time... idk, it kept up with a tiburon GT from a dead stop no problem though. i was laughing at the kid while he got run down by a jeep. talk about WEAK. might have been the driver though.

Back