• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I find out...

rjstiles

NAXJA Forum User
Help,

How can I find out what model rear end / 4 wheel drive I have? Also, could someone please explain what a locker is and why I need one?

I have a 2000 XJ sport 4.0 4dr 4x4 auto with air. When I put it in 4wd the guage reads "Part Time 4WD"

So far it is stock. I am looking at a 3.5" lift and adding some 30" or so tires with the Mickey Thompson Sidebiter wheels.

I wanted to beef up my drive train and have it set up as kind of an expedition vehicle compared to a true Rock Crawler.

Thank you in advance for your help and insights.

Ron

:doh:

If the only 4wd you have is "part time" then you have a np231. If you also had a "full time" selection right nest to the part time, then you would have a 242.

If your rear differential is flat on the bottom, its a Chrysler 8.25
If it is round at all, kinda like the fat end of an egg, a Dana 35.
If you have ABS, you have a Dana 35.
If you have a factory limited slip, you have a Dana 35.
Jeep didnt offer the 8.25 with either of those options.

If the only 4wd you have is "part time" then you have a np231. If you also had a "full time" selection right nest to the part time, then you would have a 242.

If your rear differential is flat on the bottom, its a Chrysler 8.25
If it is round at all, kinda like the fat end of an egg, a Dana 35.
If you have ABS, you have a Dana 35.
If you have a factory limited slip, you have a Dana 35.
Jeep didnt offer the 8.25 with either of those options.

Cool, thank you too.
I sure do appreciate all of the info.

Ron

jeep horizons xj specification. Google it, it'll help. Keep it stock, or be like the rest of us. I know I can make it tougher, and go through more, I know I can. A "locker" locks the two wheels on an axle together, if you put your rig in gear and stand on the skinny pedal, you will notice only one wheel spins. With a locker, both wheels will spin. A "locked" rear or front will make loads of difference, some will tell you put one in the front, no, the back, both, it all depends on what you want. Start using the rig like you got it, you will be amazed at what a stock xj will do, then build from there. I'm runnin a 6" lift with 35" tires, a richmond powertrax "locker" up front, and am fairly pleased with her. Take your time, plan the total rig, then build, remember, gears make a huge difference.
Swamp, just saw your locker post, ya stole my thunder

Last edited:
if there is a lit up display to the left of your gauges that says part time then im sure you have a 242. also look down at your shifter and see if it says 2, full time 4hi, part time 4hi, n 4lo that also means 242. if it says 2 4hi n 4lo you have a 231

if there is a lit up display to the left of your gauges that says part time then im sure you have a 242. also look down at your shifter and see if it says 2, full time 4hi, part time 4hi, n 4lo that also means 242. if it says 2 4hi n 4lo you have a 231

The shifter shows 2wd, 4hi, N, 4lo so I guess I have the 231.

Thank you for the info..

Ron

Sounds like a 231 to me. I know you are currently not able to get around as easy as you'd like, but there is a really easy way to tell if you can get someone to crawl under it for you. There is a tag on the rear of the case that says what model TC it is.

Back