• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how can I connect auxiliarry fan to ignition switch on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
When I bought my 90 xj the previous owner had revbuilt the engine as a stroker
and installed a 2nd fan which was powered by the battery and turned on and off with the ingnition switch.

For some reason it stopped working yesterday. The fan works fine when connected directly to the battery.

What will be the easiest way for me to tap into a positive wire hooked up to the ignition switch so the fan goes on again when the ignition switch is turned on to accessory.

The fan was connected to a red wire with white stripe coming out of a harness on the left side of the jeep facing forward near the headlight, but I don't know if that was original or if the previous owner installed that wire.

In any case the wire is now dead, and I'd like to either get it working, or if its simpler just connect the fan to some other wire somewhere so the fan will come on when I turn the ignition to power up the jeep.

When I wired mine in I simply ran a wire to the battery, then to the switch and grounded it out. Mine was a Hayes fan and I think they have instructions on their web site. Though you need to make sure you get a switch that can handle the juice for a fan (I think mine is like a 30 amp switch)

when you said you ran wire to battery then to switch, do you mean to ignition switch, how do I find where to connect to the ignition swich

is there a link for Hayes, I couldn't find anything

One wire from fan is grounded, that works fine, I need to get power to the other wire from the fan, and have a switch inside the jeep (preferably the ignition switch to turn it on and off)

I know I need to run a wire from the positive wire off the fan into the ignition switch or some wire coming off the ignition switch I just don't know how to find the right place

Use a fog lamp relay under the hood to run your fan. Run power 12 v from batt to relay from relay to fan ground fan as close as you can. Run a power wire from any switched circut that is powered in the run position not accessory position to the relay. any thing less wil proably overload and fail like the previous install.

strangely enough I got it working again by jiggling around and repositioning one of the relays on the left side forward near the front of the jeep, I guess there was a loose connection on one of the relays, and twisting it so the relay stays in a new postiion seems to solve the problem at least temporarily.

I'll experiment more when I get a chance to see if I can pinpoint the problem
and make sure I have a permenant solution

Back