• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade coil spacer?? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gil BullyKatz said:
Good Idea...

Let's encourage the Darwin Arward candidates to bequeath their belongings before the inevitable...

Now you guys are on to something . . .

:dunno:

Seriously - there are far, far better things to waste your time and effort on in an attempt to save a few bucks. Coil spacers are nothing more than a simple chunk of polyurethane. It's hard to beat mass production on something like that. I have a set I'll sell you for $20 plus shipping - new and unused.

I've got a set you can have fer free.....................NOT.... :wierd:

SPEND 35 dollars and buy some! Or, if your really desperate: whack off the end of a 2x4 and make a 2x4x4, two of them. Drill holes in the middle with a doorknob bit, sand down the rough edges, spray em black. Pop em in there.
I'm totally kidding man.

Last edited:
My ex-wife can't cook for shit...want me to call her to cook up some special Pork Chops? You pay shipping (and shitting if you eat 'em!)
EmotionsWorld%20-%20MSN7.0Super%20(35).gif

Save a couple bucks and call Dirk at DPGoffroad.com. He'll ship them to you for $30
Other than that you've been given the best ideas if none of them fit your desire to go cheap maybe you'd better not try to lift your jeep since you'll be doing it in an unsafe manner. If you do "hack it together" don't wheel near us as we don't want to have to hand you kleenexes while you wait for a flatbed to come get your busted jeep out. hasta
enough of that. :lecture:

Since you are doing the front what are you doing in the rear? I have a couple of spare leaves that will make good AAL's Give me a few $$ to cover shipping and you can have em.

Urban Redneck said:
If you know what a spacer looks like and you can get the material for $5 and have someone to weld, what do you need from us?

YEAH....that sound safe. WELDED coil spring spacers....good GOD. 1 Good smack and the weld breaks...

ok guy sorry for the big misunderstanding but oh well

just wanna say thanks for the help

i plan on doing the mad XJ spacers, couple of yall have been talking about SAFETY has anyone use these and can tell me a little about them

by the way this is my 2wd daily driver so im not too concern about off roading capability

cassio said:
ok guy sorry for the big misunderstanding but oh well

just wanna say thanks for the help

i plan on doing the mad XJ spacers, couple of yall have been talking about SAFETY has anyone use these and can tell me a little about them

by the way this is my 2wd daily driver so im not too concern about off roading capability

There's nothing wrong with madxj's at all. That's pretty much how Tomken makes their 2" spacers. I have used them with Rusty's 4.5" springs and they never failed on me. The only complaint if one was they would clunk a bit, not like poly ones.

ChuckD said:
You seem to be taking this spacer issue way too seriously. The only real safety issues with coil spacers is not to go over 3" and less if you have insane flex in the front end.

No Chuck, not true. To clarify...sometimes THE CHEAPEST is NOT in your best interest. Something like this...my thought...do it right...do it safe. It's not just your life, its the others around you as well.

I saw a hacked cherokee in my work. Guy lifted it by doing really crappy work. NO BUDGET junk all the way. Including but not limited to...(2) 2 inch blocks to lift the rear...TACK WELDED. Shock extensions to the front by welding a small rod from what I would call a donor shock, aluminum spacers up front that would rival HOME DEPOTS plumbing dept. AND, he had made custom control arms by buying 2 stock pairs from a yard, cutting them and welding them together and trying to reinforce them from the inside with other, unidentified metal.

Sppoky stuff man. REALLY spooky. But guess what ? He got into a wreck because the front was sooooo poorly done that it colapsed. One of the SPACER welds seperated, broke loose, dumped the left front down, sheared both UCA and LCA on the left side, and popped a block outta the rear shifting his axle back into the quarter panel.

He had 35's on this thing and the original 3.07 gears.

Front was crushed pretty good. I sincerly hope NO ONE was in front of him.

STUPID THINGS HAPPEN. But when it envolves everyone else on the road or the trail, Yeah...its SERIOUS.

I've seen enough "death" rigs in my 15 yrs of auto wrecking. I don't need to see anymore. It's really F'ing hard when there are child seats in the rear, and I think about my little boy and girl. You can imagine what the next thought is...did they SURVIVE? I would, and WILL, kill anyone that intentionally did something stupid and hurt my kids. Without them 7-15 in the pen wouldn't be hard to do.

SAFETY involves everyone being safe. Not just hoping that it will happen.

Just to clear things up.

:peace:

red91inWA said:
No Chuck, not true. To clarify...sometimes THE CHEAPEST is NOT in your best interest. Something like this...my thought...do it right...do it safe. It's not just your life, its the others around you as well.

I saw a hacked cherokee in my work. Guy lifted it by doing really crappy work. NO BUDGET junk all the way. Including but not limited to...(2) 2 inch blocks to lift the rear...TACK WELDED. Shock extensions to the front by welding a small rod from what I would call a donor shock, aluminum spacers up front that would rival HOME DEPOTS plumbing dept. AND, he had made custom control arms by buying 2 stock pairs from a yard, cutting them and welding them together and trying to reinforce them from the inside with other, unidentified metal.

Sppoky stuff man. REALLY spooky. But guess what ? He got into a wreck because the front was sooooo poorly done that it colapsed. One of the SPACER welds seperated, broke loose, dumped the left front down, sheared both UCA and LCA on the left side, and popped a block outta the rear shifting his axle back into the quarter panel.

He had 35's on this thing and the original 3.07 gears.

Front was crushed pretty good. I sincerly hope NO ONE was in front of him.

STUPID THINGS HAPPEN. But when it envolves everyone else on the road or the trail, Yeah...its SERIOUS.

I've seen enough "death" rigs in my 15 yrs of auto wrecking. I don't need to see anymore. It's really F'ing hard when there are child seats in the rear, and I think about my little boy and girl. You can imagine what the next thought is...did they SURVIVE? I would, and WILL, kill anyone that intentionally did something stupid and hurt my kids. Without them 7-15 in the pen wouldn't be hard to do.

SAFETY involves everyone being safe. Not just hoping that it will happen.

Just to clear things up.

The expierence you described doesn't justify your atitude about homemade coil spacers. Since the design published is used by a well know XJ aftermarket lift manufacture, Tomken. The welding proceedures go without saying, but even if the welds were to fail, that would not lead to the expierience that you described. For you explanision to be true they would have to use the same material and AL will not be used in the design of these coil spacers.

I agree the cheapest isn't always the best. In this case, a person is wanting to learn something more than just lifting their XJ 2". My feeling is that coil spacers would be a perfect project for a beginner. With sound advise to help with the design, which has been provided and with someone with welding expierence. The outcome of this project is likely to be successful.

Red, your just making a mountian out of a mole hill. The guy just wants to build his jeep and not buy it. Try to respect him for asking a good question before butchering his lift and taking it to the public like your buddy.

I was at Daddy Depot earlier getting some sprinkler parts and saw a 4x2 adapter flange that looked about the right size for a coil spacer... Real beefy PVC stuff! :laugh3:

coilspacer.jpg

How tired are those coils??? That coil is fully compressed and it looks like there is a lot of room still for the tire to move into the wheel well.

ChuckD said:
...I agree the cheapest isn't always the best. In this case, a person is wanting to learn something more than just lifting their XJ 2". My feeling is that coil spacers would be a perfect project for a beginner. With sound advise to help with the design, which has been provided and with someone with welding expierence...

I have to disagree here. Why go and make a project harder just to learn a new technique? If you want to learn to weld, go weld up a roof rack, not something that has to deal with suspension. A 1 3/4" thick chunk of poly is tried and true, why reinvent the wheel just to learn something? Granted that may be a "closed" minded statement, but if I'm going to try a new way to do something, it isn't on a part that cost me $35 with shipping. Like I said before, my time is worth more than that. If you could make the spacers in under 10 minutes, then have at it. I'd rather put all that work into my locker, refinishing my rock rails, installing my skids or a million other things on my rig. Just my .02, actually for the time that went into writing this, my $2.75... :laugh3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back