• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Tasting, or competition?

Kejtar said:
Yup, still got them :cheers:

Then get off yer butt, and start brewing!
Just $100 or so to get the basic brewing equipment and get a batch started, then $150 or less for kegging equipment next month when the beer is ready. Or you can bottle, which is kind of a PITA, but does make it easier to bring to parties (or NAXJA events)

lesslimited said:
Then get off yer butt, and start brewing!
Just $100 or so to get the basic brewing equipment and get a batch started, then $150 or less for kegging equipment next month when the beer is ready. Or you can bottle, which is kind of a PITA, but does make it easier to bring to parties (or NAXJA events)
I'll see how much $ I have left after I come back from my vacation in August :D And then, maybe ;) Cause at this point Amex is considering sending me greeting cards :D

Ok, the student phase has begun.

Got a Q. The soda type kegs look like the ticket for storage, but is it a problem getting them into Utah? Think they'll check to see if they are soda?

Be nice to know before I start buying stuff.

--ron

Last I know, they're not searching all vehicles entering Utah.
Maybe if they see California plates they will, though :laugh3:
I'm not going to advocate breaking the law, even if it's a retarded law, but has anyone actually looked into this? I mean, almost everyone brings beer without problems, so how is a 5 gal soda keg different from 5 cases (which is what I brought last year)? It's not like we're selling it, which I could see them having a problem with.

Kegging is so much easier than bottling that unless you're brewing only for the event, it's a no-brainer, except for a little more expense, and the need for larger fridge space. Some homebrewers will do both, as it is convenient to just grab a few 1-2 qt bottles to share at a party or family dinner. Beezil has gone back to partial bottling for that reason.

HTH :dunno:
:cheers:

lesslimited said:
I'm not going to advocate breaking the law, even if it's a retarded law, but has anyone actually looked into this? I mean, almost everyone brings beer without problems, so how is a 5 gal soda keg different from 5 cases (which is what I brought last year)? It's not like we're selling it, which I could see them having a problem with.

Kegging is so much easier than bottling that unless you're brewing only for the event, it's a no-brainer, except for a little more expense, and the need for larger fridge space. Some homebrewers will do both, as it is convenient to just grab a few 1-2 qt bottles to share at a party or family dinner. Beezil has gone back to partial bottling for that reason.

You are right, its a totally stupid law that really hurt bars who sold kegs back in the 80's when they outlawd them. No, you won't get searched in your car or jeep(most likely) but remember you are comming to Utah. That means Mormons, and there are lots of mormons camping too. Wouldn't take much for one of them to call the cops if they see a keg. OH and the bored Moab Local cops would LOVE to have something fun like that to break up. Most likely you wouldn't get a ticket but you would loose your keg and more importantly...YOUR BEER! ! !

DrMoab said:
You are right, its a totally stupid law that really hurt bars who sold kegs back in the 80's when they outlawd them. No, you won't get searched in your car or jeep(most likely) but remember you are comming to Utah. That means Mormons, and there are lots of mormons camping too. Wouldn't take much for one of them to call the cops if they see a keg. OH and the bored Moab Local cops would LOVE to have something fun like that to break up. Most likely you wouldn't get a ticket but you would loose your keg and more importantly...YOUR BEER! ! !
well.... if you hear a siren coming into the campground, just hook yourself ot that keg and drain it dry :D

Kejtar said:
well.... if you hear a siren coming into the campground, just hook yourself ot that keg and drain it dry :D

:D
If there's one thing we know about NAXJAns, it's that we can rapidly consume beer!

lesslimited said:

I do agrre that the Keg law is stupid.. But, just make sure your home brew is not of Highpoint qualities, as then it will be considered "Bootlegging" and you will see JAIL time as a recourse.... You can NOT bring highpoint or Liquor into the state of Utah, unless you moved here from out of state, and paid an administrative fee, and brought no than 2 liters of said alcohol.

Geepfreak said:
I do agrre that the Keg law is stupid.. But, just make sure your home brew is not of Highpoint qualities, as then it will be considered "Bootlegging" and you will see JAIL time as a recourse.... You can NOT bring highpoint or Liquor into the state of Utah, unless you moved here from out of state, and paid an administrative fee, and brought no than 2 liters of said alcohol.
Highpoint as in high alcohol content? Damn... someone make sure they don't look into my cooler :D

Kejtar said:
Highpoint as in high alcohol content? Damn... someone make sure they don't look into my cooler :D

yup, anything over 3.2% by weight.

Geepfreak said:
Not that we are trying to discurage you in anyway I mean...by all means...bring beer...lots and lots of beer.

I'll see if my customer that works at the hospital can get me some of those "Urine Specimen" labels :laugh3:

Ok, got some decent equipment from Northern Brewer, which so far seems to be one of the better suppliers. Should have everything in place to start later this week.

I went with Glass Carboys, gonna do a primary and secondary. I was thinking about jumping right into full grain and mashing, but it'll take a few weeks to get that all put together, so the first batches will be extracts.

Polarware kettles, with and without spigots and thermwells can be had at McMaster Carr, They are not listed as such, but thats what they are. If you have a biz account with them, it's much cheaper than the retail price. I probably saved 200 bucks over 3 of them.

Anyone using counterflow chillers?

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Ok, got some decent equipment from Northern Brewer, which so far seems to be one of the better suppliers. Should have everything in place to start later this week.

I went with Glass Carboys, gonna do a primary and secondary. I was thinking about jumping right into full grain and mashing, but it'll take a few weeks to get that all put together, so the first batches will be extracts.

Polarware kettles, with and without spigots and thermwells can be had at McMaster Carr, They are not listed as such, but thats what they are. If you have a biz account with them, it's much cheaper than the retail price. I probably saved 200 bucks over 3 of them.

Anyone using counterflow chillers?

--ron

Good job!

NB is a good supplier, and their forums have lots of good info.

Glass carboys are the way to go, just be careful handling them. Did you get your Pro-Mash software yet? Excellent way to share recipes, and instantly see the effects of making changes. It's great for extract brewing, but is awesome for all-grain - and the all-grain vs extract is kinda like the longarm vs short-arm debate here. Each has advantages and disadvantages, and proponents of each will hasta :D
Each method will produce excellent beer, all-grain equipment costs more but ingredients are cheaper. It also takes longer to brew, but that gives you more time to drink while brewing :cheers:

I'll look into the McMaster kettles - after Moab I may go to all-grain.

A 50' roll of 1/2" copper tubing, wrapped around a paint can with a couple hose fittings soldered to the ends will do a great job of chilling a 5-10 gallon batch. If you want to get fancy, and/or your water is not very cold, you can make 2 coils and immerse the first one in a bucket of ice water.

I was surprised at NB's pricing on stuff. I tried to find vendors for things like carboys, kettles, coolers, valves... that kind of thing, that I already have accounts with, or that I could set-up biz accounts. NB's pricing on a majority of stuff was still better, not everything, but an awfull lot.

I'm picking up ProMash today, before I start the first batch.

I'm preparing for 3 batches partial grain now. I do intend to do all grain, might be able to have a batch or 2 for Moab. I think the first one will be an infusion mash, although step mashing does not sound that tough.

I found a set of the fittings for a Phil chill... my project today, after I weld the tail cone on my t-case :D

--ron

Back