• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home brew

Those are nice!

Not being a total lush, I sometimes will neglect one or another tap, especially if I have a killer brew on one or two taps, and a so-so on the the other. I actually broke one of my tap handles trying to pour a beer that I left idle for a little too long.

The forward seals are on the upgrade list, after the all-grain system.

The only downside to the forward seal taps is the $43 each. Yes, I've got almost $180 just in taps.

Brew your own beer, you'll save money!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

<snort> I can buy a lotta damn Guinness for what I've got in taps, handles, tubing, shanks, QDs, manifolds, regulator, tank...... oh, and a freezer. With a Johnson controller.

I removed the above post (and editted my own.)

In short, that's not legal in this country. And I really don't feel like talking to the powers-that-be about it. So we won't be discussing it on an open forum.

Just curious as to where yours is at?

Mine has been in primary more than two weeks, and I'm still getting an airlock bubble every 16-17 seconds...

I left it in the primary about three weeks. It quit bubbling after 2 wks. It's in bottles now. I dumped the Saison in the fermentor on the yeast. It bubbled like hell for two days, now hardly any bubbles. Gonna warm it up a little to see if it starts back.

Bringing this back up from the dead....

Turns out the American Homebrewers Association national convention will be held next June here in the Twin Cities. Might have to take that one in.

Bringing this back up from the dead....

Turns out the American Homebrewers Association national convention will be held next June here in the Twin Cities. Might have to take that one in.

Are you gonna be the offical NAXJA beer taster?:cheers:

Maybe, maybe not. :D

I'm already a member of the MN Homebrewers Assocation. Unless I run fast enough, I may end up volunteering that weekend as well. Might be a good idea, the full non-AHA convention package ran almost $300 in Oakland this year.

Once more, back from the dead...

I have a breakfast stout, and a bourbon barrel porter that I brewed last weekend. And a brown ale (Moose Drool clone) that I brewed today.

What I'm trying to convince myself right now is that building a brew sculpture over the winter is not a good idea.

One other thing..... don't forget about Teach a Friend to Brew Day, 11/7/09 this year. http://www.beertown.org/events/teach/index.html

I’ve been wanting to make a Brutus Ten style setup but my beer making has lapsed lately.

We should pull this thread outta mothballs and start talking again. :D:D:D

My wonderful wife blindsided me and bought me a total homebrewing package for Christmas. I started my third batch (a delicious dunkelweizen recipe) last night, racked my second (an IPA at 5.7% right now) into a secondary/dry-hop today, and enjoyed some of batch number one (Cooper hefeweizen kit that came with the homebrew setup, about 3.4% ABV) while doing both. My birthday is next month and I'm reeeeally thinking about a kegging setup. ;)

Last night's yeast was pitched from a starter I had in propagation 24 hours before. It is the most vigorous yeast so far and I will probably be doing it that way from now on. Less than 3 hours from pitch time, the fermenter was chugging away.

I've been using Wyeast that I pick up from my local brew shop. First was dry, second was a smack pack...last was that propagator pack i grew a colony with.

Definitely get some kegs. I use better bottle carboys with a spigot at the bottom all I have to do is open the valve fill the keg and throw it in the kegerator.

Kegging is the only way to go. I haven't been in the market lately since I have a dozen, and have so far had a maximum of eight in use, but the last time I bought any, it was a special deal from Northern Brewer, 4 for $80, used but guaranteed to hold pressure.

I still haven't finished the all-grain set-up, just need gas piping and some keggle fittings and accessories.

My buddy and I have been brewing every week or two, and have done several things to lower our costs. He found a great deal on hops from Farmhouse Brewing Supply so we have a full assortment in the freezer. We have been buying LME in 33 lb jugs, and re-using yeast, and since I managed to repair Beezil's old grain mill, we stocked up on an assortment of uncrushed grains.

On tap currently are three pale ale's of varying flavors, an Irish red, and NB's AK47 Pale Mild kit. Awaiting open taps are a porter and Danish lager, in secondary is a hopped up wheat ale, and in primaries are a Dopplebock and Wit.
:cheers:

Back