• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch and swing out tire carrier FS

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Don't have pics right now, and the stuff is buried in the Jeep.

I've got a hitch from a 97, recently on a 98 XJ. It includes the hitch, nutstrips, and bolts. 50 OBO. I also have the plug-and-play wiring I'll toss in for another 25 or so.

The tire carrier is the factory one, off a '84 XJ. I stumbled across it in the junkyard, pulled it off, and made it fit my 98. Included are the modified late-model bumper, tire carrier, inner upper and outer bracket, latch bracket, latch backing bracket, inner and outer lower bracket, and all the bolts that came out of this thing (assuming none rattle loose on the trip home) It is drilled for 5 on 5.5, as well as the stock pattern. I've got it set at 5 on 5.5 now, and you'd have to cut some tack welds to change it back. Asking $100 OBO.

Edit: found a pic of the rear of the Jeep. You can see the tire carrier and the trailer hitch here.
154_0810_05_z+building_a_fuel_efficient_jeep+tire_carrier.jpg

Edit two: reply here to hold your spot, but PM if interested, as I don't always check the fo sale sexion.

I just PM'd you... Where is Green Valley & I believe I have a buyer for the carrier... probably not the hitch...
So just basic welding to convert BACK to 5 on 4.5 ??
If you can PM me a PH.#

Thanks
Curt

Probably not even welding to convert back.

Stock, it seemed like the studs were just pressed in. I goofed and drilled the holes a bit big when I changed it over, so had to tack them in.

Will PM phone number, but crappy cell reception for another day.

I actually bought a used factory tire carrier that was for sale on here last week assuming it could be made to fit a newer style XJ. Could you PM me with what modifications if any need to be made to do this? Thanks!

I bought mine from a guy in SoCal, and the OP is a long-time SoCal member who has a place up in Grass Valley, and another place in LA somewhere... I'm sure if he posted here it's either here, or he's coming down soon and will bring it with him is a SoCal'er buys it.

There is 3 Green Valley's in California. One in the San Bernardino Mtns., one near Santa Clarita, and one up north.

I've only got one place, and its between Lancaster and Santa Clarita (91390). I was living in Riverside for a while when I first moved out here, and I do end up driving around a lot. The LA place Gaucho is talking about is likely my office.

Gaucho- there is a lot of little crap that needs to be changed. I'll try and take pictures of the mods. The latch is basically bolt-on, IIRC, but the inner upper and lower mounts needed a bunch of attention to work with the late model... its been a few years since I did it, but I do know my solution included cutting and welding. And, I had to clearance the upper tube to clear the brown on the tailgate. Oh, and I'd suggest you make a bracket to brace from the rubber stop on the liftgate to the inner sheetmetal wall. I had rattling, due to the sheetmetal flexing where the earlier fiberglass (presumably) would not. Is the one you bought the same as the one pictured?

Also, in response to a PM, the wiring is a 7-pin round connector. I'm not sure if the pins within are round or flat, but I'll check after I dig it out.

Last edited:
O.K. folks...
I misspoke my buddy doesn't want to drill holes in the body...

Over2land... my apologies...

Curt

Just got internet up. Back home now, I have some work to do, hopefully I can get pics up later tonight. Both are still available, btw.

Tonight... tomorrow afternoon, what a slacker I am. Keep in mind its been a good couple/few years since I put this carrier on my Jeep... so I'm trying to recreate what I did then by looking at what I have now. These pics also show what all is included in the sale...

386651002.jpg

386651407.jpg

This shows the inner and outer upper mount. Looks like I didn't mess with the inner mount as much as I'd thought, but compare it to what you've got to see.

386651004.jpg

This is the rubber bumper I would suggest coming up with a way to tie it back into the inside of the liftgate sheetmetal.

386651005.jpg

Back view of the bumper with the latch support/backing shown. Holes need to be drilled to mount this in the bumper obviously.

386651006.jpg

Here is the tube clearancing I was speaking of. This was enough to get me around the "brow" on the liftgate

386651008.jpg

I welded this plate into the bumper for support between the inner and outer plate. I didn't want to go to the early bumper, which had this in it already.

386651010.jpg

Here it is from the outside of the stock late model bumper. Like my hacked holes? I wasn't concerned about the looks, as the lower outer mount and the plastic end caps cover it. It just needed to allow the tits on that lower mount to plug into the holes.

386651011.jpg

Obviously you'll need to cut the hole for the latch into the bumper as well. The weather stripping was my attempt at cutting down on a rattle. My carrier mounting resulted in a slightly different angle than stock (that or the different bumper puts the latch plate in a different place) and the tube would rattle against that upper bolt when closed without the weatherstripping there

386651406.jpg

386651405.jpg

Here is the lower mount. I obviously added two plates to it, but then I was able to use what look to be stock bolts and speedclips off the 84. The original designer added a diagonal support, so I did too, then welded the snot out of it. I wasn't sure what tire size I'd be at when I finally did get a new bumper, but this never saw any bigger than a 31 while it was on my Jeep

For the people here for the hitch, here are a few gratuitous images:

386651015.jpg

386651017.jpg

386651019.jpg

Again, that wiring was plug and play on both a 97 and a 98, so I'd assume it would work for all late models, but you know what happens when you assume.

Bump. If I'm on crack with my prices, make an offer... I need this stuff out of my living room, and I'll be making it all the way down to Escondido Thurs, and back up in LA near Fullerton Friday

I'll trade you some bilstein shocks for the tire carrier. Bilstein 5125 off of my 01 XJ. Need new top bushings but only have about 500 miles on them no leaks.

Jeez, sorry about not getting back Jack I've been out of town.

I'm back in town now. I'm assuming those are rear shocks then you are talking about?

Bump for the holiday weekend. Could also use an window air conditioner.

Back