• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High School Graduation WTF

To all those who have already graduated, does this sound ridiculous?

I go to big highschool 2000+ about 440 in my class. At our graduation you walk onto the stage and are handed a "Diploma" in reality it is just a box to house your real diploma in!! WTF. In order you have to actually get your diploma, you must return your gown (rentals). Then you are very causally handed your diploma. So pretty much our school uses our gowns as collateral for our friggen diploma!! Like honestly, is a gown worth a diploma? I worked 4 years for this damn thing and now they want to make sure i dont steal their 100$ gown?
Seems crazy...
Actually they are holding your diploma as collateral for the gowns :flipoff:.
In '85 we bought our own gowns and hats. I'd much rather have not shelled out that cash for a lame photo op for my family. A few classmates skipped Graduation due to a lack of money. Sounds like a pretty good set up at your school.

Actually they are holding your diploma as collateral for the gowns :flipoff:.
In '85 we bought our own gowns and hats. I'd much rather have not shelled out that cash for a lame photo op for my family. A few classmates skipped Graduation due to a lack of money. Sounds like a pretty good set up at your school.

Same deal here, I graduated in '84. I was in a class of 500 kids and probably only half showed up because they couldn't afford the cap/gown.

I guess the part i am angry about is that IMHO the ceremony is the climax of highschool, "Finally i have done it!!" Now its just fake.
Like Christmas morning, only your parents say, "those boxes are empty, you will have to be good for another month till you get your real ones, but open them and look happy anyways"

What is the point?

You haven't figured out yet that graduation isn't for you?

Its for your parents.

I was handed a blank white piece of paper, rolled up with a ribbon.

I ended up going back and getting my GED though
fawk.gif

Billy

I graduated 7 months early.

I still had to wait until 'graduation' to get my diploma, which involved of course waiting 7 months, showing up, buying a cap and gown, .. and taking a day off of work. You'd think not graduating with my class they wouldnt require me to walk with my class, but they were sure quick to hold that little paper hostage.

And as it turns out, I haven't needed it once since graduating. I've registered in 3 colleges, none of which asked to see it, and have 14 years of high salary IT jobs that haven't even asked if I graduated.

Well, I guess I am the party pooper. I didn't walk, I say in the audience with my parents and watched everyone else walk. It wasn't I/we couldn't afford it. I just refused to spend the money on a stupid cap and gown and deal with the ceremony and crap. We got a blank paper AND had to buy our gowns. Not sure the exact number, but my class was close to 1000. I was just glad to be outta there!
-Aaron

Well, I guess I am the party pooper. I didn't walk, I say in the audience with my parents and watched everyone else walk. It wasn't I/we couldn't afford it. I just refused to spend the money on a stupid cap and gown and deal with the ceremony and crap. We got a blank paper AND had to buy our gowns. Not sure the exact number, but my class was close to 1000. I was just glad to be outta there!
-Aaron

Assuming your talking about college?

I walked at my HS graduation for the parentals. Three graduations since and I haven't attended a single one. I think I'm in the 23rd grade now...

In hindsight I would have dropped out of HS and gone to college early. These days college has become a joke. People matriculate having not learned what they should have in HS and then get their feelings hurt when they don't all get "A's".

Before he retired my father was a VP of manufacturing. His employees would periodically come to him after having earned a degree or certification of some sort or other and expect a raise. He'd ask how they were "all of a sudden" worth more money, when their performance or productivity had not changed. The degree itself was meaningless to him if the grad couldn't apply the material.

A little off topic, but you get the point...

When i graduated in '06 we paid 35 bucks, got to keep the cap, but returned the gown for our diplomas. My mom still has her cap/gown from 1976. My uncle told me he wore his to paint his house, lmao.

Similar to how my HS was 3 years ago when I graduated. We walked on stage, got the holder for the diploma, and were not allowed to get the actual diploma until after the ceremony, to which we picked it up behind the event center on the loading dock (all graduations for our county were held at one of the special events halls at the Coliseum). We bought our own caps and gowns, but the diplomas were held hostage because the rule was that our parents/friends/family members were not allowed to cheer at all until everybody had walked across the stage as well as we were not allowed to throw our caps in the air at the end of the ceremony...which is BS in my opinion. If your parents cheered or you threw your cap up, they supposedly were going to hold your diploma and make you come get it from the school the following week. I say supposedly because they tried to hold about half of them for that reason, but they were quickly ambushed by ticked off parents and even more ticked off students.

A friend's dad was tossed out for cheering for his son at mine.

I went to my college graduation for my parents more than for me. My Commissioning ceremony meant more to me.

Before he retired my father was a VP of manufacturing. His employees would periodically come to him after having earned a degree or certification of some sort or other and expect a raise. He'd ask how they were "all of a sudden" worth more money, when their performance or productivity had not changed. The degree itself was meaningless to him if the grad couldn't apply the material.

I'm liking your father already!

I had to pay for my cap and gown, and still got a blank paper

The reasoning they gave us was that if someone didn't show up for graduation, it would throw the order off, and people would get the wrong diplomas, since everyone knows, high school administrators cant read and correct the order.

The biggest problem was that getting our diplomas after the ceremony took time away from the traditional graduation burnouts in the parking lot.

For high-school I was home schooled but basically dropped out Jr year. so no grad ceremony there...(finished in the evenings 6 months after the rest of my "class")
for college, I went to the ceremony because My parents were so proud. but we got the blank paper 'pending grades'

Your father sounds like a piss poor boss and manager.
working to earn certifications, or degrees is a sign that the employee is working to improve their citation if you ask them "how they were "all of a sudden" worth more money,"
They will leave, or quit, or go back to work and never work to improve again, and possible drop in production or moral.
but if you give them benchmarks or goals to meet that show the degree/certification is working to the advantage of the company, then they will work harder.

We had to buy our cap, gown and any cords or anything you got.

Then, we had to wait for our diploma and go pick it up a few weeks later.

Back