• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID fog light problem

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I had my HID fog lights working fine no problems at all until I upgraded the headlight harness. I read all about the after market harness causing problems with the fog lights so I was ready for that. I made the jumper wire to replace the fog light relay in the fuse panel.

The first time I tried the fogs they both fired fine and started warming up, suddenly the passenger side flickered a few times then went out and driver side stayed on fine. I tried a few times and the same thing happened over and over(allowing them to cool in between).

I figured maybe the stock wiring was just acting up so I didn't think much of it and got a new HID harness. Put the new harness in and turn them on, the passenger side didn't even flicker while the driver side was operating normally.

I thought maybe the passenger bulb was burnt out, I swapped the passenger bulb to the driver side and it worked fine. I then swap the passenger side ballast to the driver side and it works fine with either bulb! Looking back I should have swapped driver side ballast over to the passenger side to test that but I didn't.

After it looked like both ballasts and bulbs were good I put everything back to it's original place. I decided to leave the passenger side loose and try one last time, both sides fire up and work! I let them warm up and run for a minute with no flicker. I think ok it may have just been a loose connection. I button everything back up and test, passenger side doesn't ignite, driver side is fine. !!!1

I'm sorta stumped and not sure where to go probing with my multi meter. I am starting to suspect the factory fog light spade connections are the problem.
Would I be best to start with a full swap from passenger to driver side(ballasts and bulbs)?
Should I turn the fog lights on and test voltage at the factory spade connectors?
Is there a way to jump the relay to test the harness/ballasts/bulbs bypassing all factory wiring? I'm not sure how the factory wiring triggers the relay, which spades are the power source for the relay?
Or, is all of this a result of the factory fog light relay being replaced by the jumper? I used some thick wire I forget the gauge off hand, whatever the write up found here suggested.

I may just run new wire from the factory switch to trigger the new harness relay and do away with all the factory wiring and make-shift relay jumper. I'm not sure yet how to trigger the HID relay though ha. It's just killing me the driver side operates 100% fine and the passenger side started off flickering the it did nothing with the one exception of it firing perfectly.

Specs
97 with factory fog lights
DDM HID fat ballasts and DDM bulbs
DDM HID harness
Eauto HD headlight harness

For the record:
HID fog lights used only offroad, they put out an amazing amount of light right on the ground. I don't blind people with them on the street and have a proper retrofit on my other car. I want to add projectors to the XJ so I can use them on the street eventually, once I get this problem sorted.

After searching more, I may have one of the plugs reversed. I didn't even think of them being directional and that may explain why it worked fine that one time... I will try flipping the plugs later tonight, fingers crossed!

Back