• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-lift jack

Stumpalump said:
I have to agree about them being dangerous. Dam thing weighs a ton and you better keep it clean and oiled. Play with it in your driveway so you will get the feel for it before you need it at night. Because of the weight I mounted mine as low in the body as it could go. Pop out the lower rear seat cuision and you can slide it right under the passenger seat. I use a bolt and a wing nut to bolt the base to the sheet metal the seat rides on. It's really not in the way at all and it's weight is low. A roof mounted high lift is stupid. If you have it up high you are increasing your chances of rollover. Same with rear tire carrier that mount the tire shovel and highlift up high. Bad plan. Heavy shit like axels.driveshafts,hatchet,chains, winch block all need to go under the rear seat or on the floor to keep them low. I run a 34x9.50x15 as a spare so I can lay it flat on the floor and still keep the rear seat. Nice and low. Same with lift. 4.5" and 35"tires. Any higher and add weight like a high lift to the roof and you better have full coverage insurance. I've been in 2 rollovers and have seen many more. You have been warned. Sorry it's off topic.

My tires and lift increase my chances of a roll over. My lack of sway bars increases my chance of a roll over. Me going four wheeling increases my chances of a roll over. My fat head increases the chances of a roll over.
I know a high lift on the roof adds weight, but I doubt you can prove to me that it had any effect on any roll. So you have been in two roll overs and they apparently had Hi Lifts on the roof. Big deal, it's a popular place to put them, so odds are it's gonna happen. I rolled and I didn't have one on my roof. In fact, all of my gear is below the top of my back seat. I have nothing under my rear seat. My Hi Lift used to be there, but it was a PITA to remove my son's car seat every time I needed it.
I think your rant is a little off base and unjustified.

Oh, and I can't get full coverage, as I have a salvage title...so there. :D

xjtrailrider said:
Yeah, I go "Prepaired"! I have everything I need in there to rebuild both axles and fix most typical XJ mechanical failures, I also have plenty of tools to fix it with.

gear3rv5.jpg

I like everything in there.............especially that perty tree saver. That thing is definitely a virgin. And that tuperware is awesome - fits perfectly.

I try to go well prepared too - you've inspired me to organize my stuff a bit better.

tdr1213 said:
I like everything in there.............especially that perty tree saver. That thing is definitely a virgin.

LOL, its a 3"x30' snatch strap and I'm locked/locked, just haven't got it hung that good yet. Someone stole my last one out of my old CJ.

Everything in the back is meant to be able to take it out fast including the shelf and headache rack, so that I or my kids can sleep in the back if needed.
I like being organized, I'm a mechanic and I know the advantages of being able to put your hands on the parts/tools you need in a hurry. Ever done a trail repair in the dark? Another advantage of having everything organized.

I'd like to show you guys a pic of my high lift mounted on the stock roof rails but right after I out it up there the truck flipped upside down!!!! Strangest thing I ever saw.

silverslk said:
I'd like to show you guys a pic of my high lift mounted on the stock roof rails but right after I out it up there the truck flipped upside down!!!! Strangest thing I ever saw.

LMAO! Mine started to tip over but i caught it before it fell all the way over! That darned COG!

OK, Jeeple, I stand corrected. After reading some of these replies, I realize the Hi-Lift is indeed unstable. I don't know what I was thinking. I still like the beast and will use it to save my butt when I have to.

You guys have come up with some pretty clever ways of mounting that jack. I went with a less painful method of mounting it to my Conn Ferr rack and until some body steals it, it will be there waiting for me.

By the way, is it a better idea to mount your fire extinguisher near the driver instead of way in back like I have seen in some of these pics? Maybe that is the backup extinguisher.

xjtrailrider said:
LOL, its a 3"x30' snatch strap and I'm locked/locked, just haven't got it hung that good yet. Someone stole my last one out of my old CJ.

Everything in the back is meant to be able to take it out fast including the shelf and headache rack, so that I or my kids can sleep in the back if needed.
I like being organized, I'm a mechanic and I know the advantages of being able to put your hands on the parts/tools you need in a hurry. Ever done a trail repair in the dark? Another advantage of having everything organized.

xjtrailrider - what's in the tuperware? Since you are a mechanic by trade, it might be helpful if you shared what you carry (list or more pics). I know I'd appreciate knowing.

As far as the jack goes - I once had an amplifier fastened to the back of seat. I ended up taking it out because whenever I wanted to put my seat down to put something larger in cargo area I had to worry about that darn amp. Now, one wouldn't have to worry about hurting a jack, but it might be in the way at times. And since it's not easy to move, it could become a nuisance. I like trialrider's philosophy "Everything in the back is meant to be able to take it out fast."

lowrange2 said:
Not many bottle jacks come in the 4 foot variety.

The whole point is to lift the axle, instead of the body. Much easier, and since you eliminate the suspension flex, much more stable.

I'd trade my hilift for a good bottlejack tomorrow, if you want.

Or maybe I'll just borrow the one outta my superduty...

Robert

i love my hilift jack, but im not gonna pretend that its fun or safe to use.

it dropped my jeep twice, both times while i was jacking it up (because the pins were dirty, and didnt slide), if you dont keep it clean and oiled, those pins dont slide and alternate right and it can and will drop your jeep..learn how to clean and rebuild your hilift.

i used to have a "4xrac" which is made by hilift to mount the jack to your bumper, and the jack got muddy and wet and dirty on the front of my jeep, i cover it with wd40 before each use.

-Tim

Hi-Lifts and bottle jacks are different tools for different jobs.

The one time I've used a hi-lift in a recovery situation, a bottle jack wouldn't have worked.

I had backed into a washout on the side of a dirt road that was covered in brush. The rear driver side tire was hanging in the air and the pumpkin and driver side of the axle was in the dirt. There was no way I could have fit a bottle jack under the axle to lift the vehicle.

Dont any of you guys use a winch ? How many times do you actually use youre hi-lift in a year or so anyway to have them so proudly mounted that you need quick access to it?
And to those of you that do use them all the time,how many of you have taken the time to set up a system to keep the suspension from maxxing out before it will lift youre rig.
The best mounts i have seen are the ones that are bolted through the hood,man them are nice. Think about it guys

Lets see. 8ft of snow, lost a bead on a front tire. Hmmm, lets get that bottle jack under the axle so we can reseat the bead. Or we can just use the hilift on a piece of plywood at the bumper.

Or my brother one time middle of winter on the Rubicon. Broke front axle and knuckle. Couldn't move, and what really sucked was that it was snowing, and he was in a foot of flowing ice cold water. Fix that on a bottle jack.

Sure Hilifts are dangerous. So is driving, walking, playing with guns, and cooking on a hot stove...

tdr1213 said:
xjtrailrider - what's in the tuperware? Since you are a mechanic by trade, it might be helpful if you shared what you carry (list or more pics). I know I'd appreciate knowing.

As far as the jack goes - I once had an amplifier fastened to the back of seat. I ended up taking it out because whenever I wanted to put my seat down to put something larger in cargo area I had to worry about that darn amp. Now, one wouldn't have to worry about hurting a jack, but it might be in the way at times. And since it's not easy to move, it could become a nuisance. I like trialrider's philosophy "Everything in the back is meant to be able to take it out fast."
I carry all of this with me each run. The tool bag, drain pan, and gear bag sit in the rear floor board on the pass side and are straped down. Everything else is in the rear.

Center console
Mini Mag Lite and extra batteries
Tire Gauge
bug spray, sun-block
Spare Fuses
Swiss Army Knife

Back seat floor board
Re-sealable drain pan
Tool bag
Gear bag
Blanket
Toilet paper

In door pouch
2 Ponchos

Laying in back floor area(where ever it will fit)
2 pieces of Plywood 12”x12”
2 10” long 2x4's
3"x6' Tree Saver Strap
3"x30' Snatch Strap
Gloves
Assorted D-Rings
Bungee Cords
First aid kit

Tool bag(sits in the back seat floor board on top of drain pan)
Oil Filter Wrench
BFH
C-clamp
Snap-ring Pliers
Retaining ring pliers
1/2" Drive Socket Wrench
1/2" Drive 15-22mm, 24mm, 32mm, 36mm Sockets
1/2" Drive 3/8"-1" , 1 1/8”, 1 1/4” Sockets
3/8" Drive 10-14mm Deep Sockets
3/8" Drive 3/8"-5/8" Deep Sockets
1/4" Drive 7-10mm Deep Sockets
1/4" Drive 1/4"-5/16" Deep Sockets
7-22mm Combination Wrenches
1/4"-1" Combination Wrenches
Hack Saw w/extra blades
Large torx 40, 45, 50 Sockets
Spark Plug Socket w/swivel
Nut Drivers
2 Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Vise Grips(small, large and needle nose)
EMT Sheers
Side cutters/dykes
Large Adjustable Wrench
Small Adjustable Wrench
1/2" Drive Breaker Bar
1/2" Drive Extension
1/2" Drive to 3/8" Socket Adapter
½” drive swivel
3/8" Drive Socket Wrench
3/8" Drive 12 point 8-19mm Sockets
3/8" Drive 3/8"-3/4" Sockets
3/8" Drive Extensions assorted(you will need enough to put together to reach the CPS)
3/8" Drive to 1/4" Socket Adapter
3/8" Drive to 1/2" Socket Adapter
3/8” drive swivel
1/4" Drive to 3/8" Socket Adapter
1/4" Extension
Tubing cutter and flare tool
10mm,11mm,12mm,13mm,15mm swivel sockets
6 pt 8 mm box wrench, 12 pt 8 mm socket
15 mm ratcheting box wrench
Small prybar
Punches, chisels and alignment pins
Channel locks, large/small
Feeler gauge
35-150 ft lb torque wrench

Small ALLIED tool kit(fits under front seat)
1/4" Drive Socket Wrench
1/4" Drive 4-14mm Sockets
1/4" Drive 5/32"-9/16" Sockets
Metric Allen Keys
SAE Allen Keys
1/4” drive swivel
Flathead Screwdrivers
Phillips Screwdrivers
Torx Screwdrivers

FLUIDS, I keep these in the top storage tote with a solid bottom
6 Qts. of Oil
6 Qts. of ATF
4 Qts. of Gear Oil
2 gal. Coolant / Anti-freeze
1 Gallon Potable Water
Screw on pour spout
Oil Filter
WD-40/PB blaster
Fix-a-Flat
Brake fluid
Extension cord

Spare parts in the bottom 40” long tote
Spare Dana 30 Axle Shafts with hubs installed
Spare U-Bolts
Spare 29 spline C8.25 Axle Shafts
Spare Tie Rod w/ TRE's
Broom handle to push out broken shafts
Spare rear 8.25 yoke
Spare D-30 yoke
Spare upper/lower ball joints
Spare Driveshaft U-joint
Spare Nuts and Bolts
Come-A-Long
Spare CPS
Spare IAC
Spare L/R steering knuckles for D-30

Gear Bag and spare parts strapped down in the back seat pass side
2’ of 10,12,14,16 gauge wire
Electrical tape
Test light
Multimeter
Ratchet straps
Wire crimpers, heat shrink and assorted connecters
Haynes Jeep Cherokee Repair Manual
Small Grease Gun
Duct Tape
Ratcheting Tie-downs
Rope
Spare Valve Stems
Tire Repair Kit
Garbage Bags
Vaccum Line Repair Kit
Hose Repair Kit
Spare U-joint Straps
Spare Lug Nuts
Spare Leaf Center Pins
Spare Hose Clamps
Spare Diff. Plug
D30 Spider Gears or spare pins and springs for LB locker
Spare U-joint C-clips
Spare Snap Rings
Blue RTV
JB Weld
Spare unit bearing mounting bolts and cotterpins
Zip Ties
Towel

Small storage tote under the shelf
4 ½” electric angle grinder with cut-off wheels, grinding disc
3/8” electric drill with assorted bits
Floor jack
Bottle jack

Mounted in Jeep
Power inverter
48" High-Lift Jack, Behind seat
Shovel/axe, behind seat
spare 31x10.5 tire
Jumper Cables
D-Cell Mag Lite and extra batteries
Fire Extinguisher
OBA co2 tank

I think thats everything! Collectivly it all weighs about 300#, or less than having 2 adults riding with me.

Last edited:
rocknxj said:
OK, Jeeple, I stand corrected. After reading some of these replies, I realize the Hi-Lift is indeed unstable. I don't know what I was thinking. I still like the beast and will use it to save my butt when I have to.

You guys have come up with some pretty clever ways of mounting that jack. I went with a less painful method of mounting it to my Conn Ferr rack and until some body steals it, it will be there waiting for me.

By the way, is it a better idea to mount your fire extinguisher near the driver instead of way in back like I have seen in some of these pics? Maybe that is the backup extinguisher.

I'm with you on the Conn Ferr rack. If you have their hi lift mounts, Master lock makes a great small locking pin that will keep you hi lift nice and safe.

lowrange, i used my highlift many times. couple of times i fell into deep ruts and rather than winching both diffs through the solid stuff i jacked it up and threw some logs under the tires. and as far as the system goes, wrap the rachet strap around the axle tube and place the hook into the hole in the frame next to the coil. crank it down, and lift it up using the front bumper. it works for either side.
i wouldnt mount it on the outside because like said before you got to keep it oiled and in good condition.

Back