• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP....

rj454

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody/anybody,
Please Help..... :bawl:
I found a gnarly trail up out of Empire yesterday and then got stuck. I need a jeep (anything else will be too big to get there) with a winch to pull me back onto the trail. I offer lunch, beverages and all associated costs if someone is able to help me out here.
Many thanks - RJ :wave1:

Last edited:
RJ,
I got your voice mail. Unfortunately my jeep with a winch is in pieces right now and my other jeep is on stock tires. Sorry I cannot help you out.

Where is Empire?

I'm actually stuck right up the mountain from Lawson, which is just past Downieville and about 1 1/2 miles or so off the frontage road. I'm getting ready to go to Harbor Freight and buy a winch and head up to see if I can get myself unstuck. I'm also hoping to run into someone up there who can help. But I'm in a fairly remote spot on the mountain where few people go. Call me @ 720.297.4915 if you wanna head up or meet me there; it's fun wheeling at the least. RJ

Hey RJ, I did get your phone messages. I've got too much going on today and can't break away to get all the way up there.

If you're still stuck tomorrow, give me a call again. I might be able to tweak my schedule.

Hey Ya'll-
I got my junk off the mountain, took awhile though- 10 hours, just got in @ 11:30...whew. Worst part of it all? I forgot my dammed camera. :doh: This was an excellent stuck and I wished I had photo's.

Thanks to everyone who called and/or posted with offers to help; it made the day way less stressful knowing I had a backup plan. :yelclap:

I bit the bullet (small caliber) and bought a 8000lb winch at Harbor Freight for $300, along with a receiver mount for $40. Grabbed all my tow straps and loaded my girl's Honda Foreman in my truck and set out for a rescue.
The Honda almost couldn't make it up that trail with two people, a 75lb winch, a 5000lb capacity come-along, maybe 40lbs of misc gear and a 30lb cooler; it was way gnarly.
Had to reset the anchor point several times, stack and re-stack many rocks, foul language was used; but I got her back on the trail and outta there :exclamati
party1:

Glad you made it. Sorry it took so long to call ya back, I was asleep when ya called lol.

A bit of clarification here; it was 10 hrs round trip, was only working on the stuck for maybe half that.
And Mason; your dually F-150 probably would not have made the first turn, but thanks anyway :)

Glad to hear ya got outta there RJ. Been a long time brutha. Whatcha been up to?

A bit of clarification here; it was 10 hrs round trip, was only working on the stuck for maybe half that.
And Mason; your dually F-150 probably would not have made the first turn, but thanks anyway :)

F350 :D
And no it wouldn't lol... I was offering the dually in case you'd broken something and needed to be towed home.

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday, stupid work really gets in the way sometimes.
Good to hear you got it out, the plus side to it all is now you have a winch!

Glad to hear ya got outta there RJ. Been a long time brutha. Whatcha been up to?

Long story and here it is.....:rtm:
After the Buena Vista meet where I broke my front pinion, I bought a set of axles from Pull'n'Save with 4:10's and installed them. When I drove it, they made horrible noises, so I took it to a buddy who said they'd been sitting in mud forever (I guess Pull'n'Save power washed the jeep cuz I saw nothing wrong with the axles when I got them) and quoted me $1800 to rebuild them. So I got another set from Denver Used Truck Parts, had another mechanic friend put in a locker and he installed it backwards which then grenaded driving it home. :huh: Bought a third axle, Chrysler 8.25, put it in last year and have only had the jeep out maybe 4 times since. Still need a locker for it (have a D35 C-clip Precision Gear lunchbox locker to trade), I've already noticed the need, lol.

Also last year, I bought a scooter (99 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 1500) and spend a lot of my weekends (and any other chance I get) riding it; put 11k on it already. Would like to go on runs with a group, but haven't found one yet. Anyway, with the scooter and the fact that my girl's got two quads; I'm spending alot of time on other toys than my jeep. :spin1:
At any rate, I'm back on the trail and will be watching the Colorado Staging Area forums to see who's doing what/when/where and will try to join in the fun again. Hope to do a run or three with ya'll soon (today is good). :cheers: :wave: :party:

Back