• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with Shocks on XJ

mybrosride

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to find the best street resirvoir shock to use on a 6.5" lift 89 XJ 4x4 4-door.... I've been told the best street shock (no-resi) was pro-comp 9000 series. I like my bilsteins but will need to change. I would like to get foxes...

Thanks.... :)

Stay with the Bilstein(5150s are a good street resi. shock), or go with Fox. The Pro comps aren't even in the same class. Think of the Pro comps as an upgrade from a Monroe Sensatrac.

Stay with the Bilstein(5150s are a good street resi. shock), or go with Fox. The Pro comps aren't even in the same class. Think of the Pro comps as an upgrade from a Monroe Sensatrac.

I agree the 9000 are a good cheap shock but now where near the 5150, you may look at the Pro Comp MX6s there closer the Bilstein 5150 class or even th Rancho RS 9000.

I looked at fox 2.0 shocks and wondering how you mount them. My mounts are not 2 round eye-holes, just one round mount and a male bolt and nut at the top....

there is way more advanced versions of this... but here's the more basic conversion to have it on both sides if your on a budget

top eye
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKCONV&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

bottom eye
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...RPINELIM&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

Strange, I had some I used for 2 years that were still working just fine. Only reason I replaced them is because I went bigger! Still went with Rusty's again though!

Not saying there aren't other shocks out there that ride better, but for me you can't beat the price for the Rusty's!

I've also been trying to figure out which shock to go with... I've had Rustys in the past and have liked em but i just got another xj that needs shocks bad and i've been wondering about the Rancho 9000s. Is it worth the money for these or should i just throw on another set of Rustys ones?

Also i'm open to suggestions these are really the only shocks i know about...

I've also been trying to figure out which shock to go with... I've had Rustys in the past and have liked em but i just got another xj that needs shocks bad and i've been wondering about the Rancho 9000s. Is it worth the money for these or should i just throw on another set of Rustys ones?

Also i'm open to suggestions these are really the only shocks i know about...
sorry just realized i hijacked this guys thread... I'll start another...

I've been SUPER happy with my Rough Country 2.2's

The 8000's and 9000's suck, but the 2.2's are super nice.

I've been SUPER happy with my Rough Country 2.2's

The 8000's and 9000's suck, but the 2.2's are super nice.
It's got Rough Countrys on it.... Threy're Really stiff imo. When driven right after my other xj with Rusty's i can't stand the other xj's ride quality. In your defense it's only got RCs in the back. And the guy we bought it from knew nothing and they might not even be for an xj haha. ( i know for sure the front ones aren't!) But this time around i'm willing to spend more money on stuff if it's worth it.

here i have freeways in southern cal so if they're too rough its gonna beat you to death haha... I'd talked to some other local jeep guys, reason i was thinking about foxes to replace the bilsteins... but again, can't spend everything i have at once, getting new tires soon, but i dont want super cheap shocks either..

Back