• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help? Non jeep issue

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2004 ram 5.7 with 150k on it. Periodically, the temp gauge will be in the red during normal driving or even sitting still. Check gauges light will come on. Then if I turn it off and turn it back on instantly, the needle slowly drops back down to normal (just below half). This has been happening the last 2 days, and has happened twice now. Both times, I had the heat running and once I was at a standstill, the other time I was going 40mph. Cooland level is good. Other than the gauge, no other signs of overheating. I'm clueless. Please Help!

I know alot of you guys are ram fans so maybe someone here can help. Thanks guys

Some engine designs are known to trap air in the cooling system. I couldn't tell you if this is one of them. Other than that, do what Flores said.

There are no brand specific boards for the beast?

Verify actual coolant temp throough another thermometer, if temp is good:
- Bleed the cooling system
- Test/Replace coolant temp sensor
- Check wiring and wiring connectors from temp sensor to gauge cluster

All the temp sensor does is provide a ground for the sensor, if you have a short somewhere it'll peg out your gauge so it is very likely either a bad wire somewhere or the temp sensor is bad. However, if there are air bubbles in the cooling system it can also cause these issues so after making sure tere aren't any air pockets in the cooling system I'd throw a temp sensor at it (probably less than 20$) and start checking my wiring.

Nothing specific to your vehicle, just basic procedure for any vehicle.

Verify actual coolant temp throough another thermometer, if temp is good:
- Bleed the cooling system
- Test/Replace coolant temp sensor
- Check wiring and wiring connectors from temp sensor to gauge cluster

All the temp sensor does is provide a ground for the sensor, if you have a short somewhere it'll peg out your gauge so it is very likely either a bad wire somewhere or the temp sensor is bad. However, if there are air bubbles in the cooling system it can also cause these issues so after making sure tere aren't any air pockets in the cooling system I'd throw a temp sensor at it (probably less than 20$) and start checking my wiring.

Nothing specific to your vehicle, just basic procedure for any vehicle.

Temp sensor meaning thermostat? It's my bday today and I'm finally taking a day off of work so maybe I'll get it swapped out.

no, as in the sensor that tells your gauge what the temperature is. you're truck probably has 2 of them, 1 for the computer and 1 for the gauge. if I'd meant t-stat I would have said t-stat.

oh, and happy birthday. :D

Back