• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP Cant get rear driveshaft out!

CO_crawler

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to do my ujoints on the rear shaft last weekend but I couldnt get it out of the tcase. I jacked it up (98 xj auto and 4x4) marked my position to the tcase and rear end then took off the ujoint straps. Then it wouldnt budge. Do I need to remove the endcaps at the rear end to get it some room to move so I can pull it out of the tcase?? Is there a step by step for the rear drive shaft anywhere??? Please help I cant drive my DD as it sounds like crap and I dont want to loose a joint on the road!!

CO_crawler
crawlin slow in CO:doh:

Use a screwdriver to lever the caps out of the yoke.You may need to cut a band on the rubber boot at the transfercase to allow the shaft to be removed.
Wayne
BE SURE TO BLOCK the FRONT wheels to keep it from rolling.

How hard can i git it with a hammer?? I dont want to mess up the tcase for sure. I havent tried takin the rings off of the rubber boot, should I do that?? I did try to use a screwdriver to pry the rear ujoint away from the yoke with no luck??

is your shaft bottomed out or something? Should always be some amount of play in the shaft front to back.

dude seriously no offense, but that's scarry if you can't figure out how to get a rear driveshaft out. little piece of advice. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BREAK IT.........IF YOU ARE SMART.

remove the 4 bolts that hold the u-joint straps to the rear pinion yoke. then take a small prybar or a big screw driver and shove it somewhere between the yoke and the u-joint and yank. or grab a hammer, and just wack the ear of the driveshaft or even the u-joint (you're replacing them anyways). it should take all of 2 seconds at the most to get the rear u-joint to unseat. then you just pull the driveshaft straight back after you have the u-joint clear of the yoke.

if you have the rubber boot on the slip yoke, then remove the metal clamp that's furthest to the rear over the driveshaft portion of the boot. replace it with a hose clamp when re-installing the driveshaft.

PS: again, no offense. but if you can't even figure out how to get the driveshaft out, then you might wanna call a friend to help you replace the u-joints. cuz that part is definitely going to be alot harder.

recap:

1)remove u-joint straps
2)unseat u-joint from rear yoke
3)move u-joint section of driveshaft away from yoke
4)pull towards the rear

done.

Last edited:
Chock the front wheels, jack up the rear and put jackstands under the frame and let the rear suspension droop. Disengage parking brake and put xfer case in neutral. You should now be able to remove the rear u-joint from the yoke. Assuming of course the straps are removed. I'm assuming the xfer case does not have a SYE?

jeeperjohn said:
Chock the front wheels
Can't tell you how important that step is, especially for n00bs who have never done this before. I watched a dude in the Camp Pendleton Auto Hobby Shop almost get run over when he pulled the driveshaft out in his way-big CJ-5. As soon as the cross was clear of the pinion, it started rolling back at his legs. Luckily he was able to brace it until we were able to get over and roll it away from him.

The rest of it's pretty straighforward. What part of Colorado are you in?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Front band of the rubber boot will have to be removed. Boot is over the "slinger" which is a press fit on the output shaft. Block front wheels, Put t-case in neutral, that will take some of the load off the drive parts.

Maybe his slip is frozen, which probably caused the bad joint as well. I had a slip freeze on my front DS and it was a total PITA to remove.

It kind of sounds like that, not sure how to break that loose without unbalancing the drive shaft, may just be time for a sawsall and a new drive shaft :p

Weell I didnt get run over and I did manage to get the shaft out. It didnt have any grease at all on the slip yoke and I had to bang on it with a hammer. About three medium wacks with a 3lb hammer and it loosened up. I did both joints and got it back in. Greased the slip yoke a little but not too much?? I am still getting that weird jolting when going around corners. It has been really bad when parallel parking even before. I dont know what else to do.....I am going to try and grease the slip yoke again today real good as the first drive I took was perfect but after that the sound and vibs came back just as bad as before??? Anyone got any more ideas?

I don't think you will be able to get to much grease on there :)

Well regreased it reinstalled the shaft and the problem is still there and just as bad. No Idea where it is coming from. Can the yoke to the D35 get screwed up it has a small amount of play in it with the wheels on the ground but the slop isnt in the joints.......Maybe the jerk used car dealer didnt put the tracloc lubricant in when he refilled the rear end?? no idea it sounds like chalk on a chalk board screeking. AHHHHHHHHHHH!hasta

maybe if you ask real nice, somebody in your location might be willing to take a look at it with you for a case of beer. oh and if what it says next to your location is actually the correct place, then you might have a hard time finding anybody near you.LOL

so where are you located???

Back