• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELLA 500's (?)

drifto77

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about getting some Hella 500 driving lights, Wal-Mart has them for like $63.00. I was wondering, since they come with the 55w bulbs, what would happen if I were to put some 100w bulbs in them? Will the inside of the lights get too hot and burn the bulbs out quick? What are the drawbacks to replacing the 55w's with 100w bulbs? Or are these lights already pretty bright?
I was gonna mount them on the front bumper and only want one set of lights up there.
OR.........
would I be better off going with some high watt KC's?
I was thinking these would be too deep/thick (?) to mount there.

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you want light, think about upgrading your headlamps instead. Get the E-codes from Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com) and upgrade your headlamp harness. The E-codes will give you a much better beam pattern, and the upgrade will allow for more power to the headlamps - or for brighter headlamps in the first place.

Then, you can use the bumper space for fog lamps - which will probably be much better for you.

That housing is a little small for a higher-output bulb - I'd not be inclined to try it. However, I've also got Hella E-codes with Hella Super White 90W/130W H4's (all from SMS) and I'm very happy with them! I do quite a lot of driving at night, you see...

5-90

I use them with the 55w bulbs and I don't have headlights.
Believe me, and everyone in front of me at night, they are VERY bright.

Back