• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heading to Maui

Dewey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm heading to Maui in May and was wondering if there are NAXJA Brothers there to show me around? I'm renting a Wrangler for a week and hope to do some exploring.

definately hit the hana highway, its in the tour books. that was still one of my favorite parts of the trip. there is a pretty good "to do" type of book, written by a couple. if i can remember the name of it ill let you know :D

your going to dig it. hana is a must, and almost allways only open to 4x4 vehicles only because of rain. so your wrangler idea is good. one tip though...... DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN THE JEEP. i know it sounds like im baggin on the locals, but im not. just a very select few. they target the rentals and take everything because they know you wont come back to press charges. allways carry a cheap mask, snorkle, and fins. and stop at the market and get a bag of peas and corrots. youll understand why later. be carefull not to open the bag "under" water. above water, throw it a couple yards away and watch the show. as soon as you get there, buy a fish hook neckless (for you, not her) its a local traditional thing. but all the locals wear them and if you can blend in and look like a local, youll get better prices on EVERYTHING. ask me how i know. for the girl--- buy her some gold with black onix jewelry. thats the "local" stuff for the women. again, try and blend in. the wrangler will give you away, but when in the markets and such, youll get better service. learn the phrase Mohalo. youll understand later. i can go on, but im getting too jeolous to continue. have a great trip.

P.S. have you booked your hotel yet? ive got a much better plan if you havnt. PM me if you havnt and ill explain.

I was in Hawaii a few years ago with family. We rented a Jeep for a few days and did some wheelin and exploring. We came across these sugar cane fields that were up in these hills off a dirt road. After about a 1/2 mile into the sugar cane it turned into pot. Suddenly we were in a pot jungle. We heard a vehicle hauling butt coming from the road above us and we got the hell outta there. We had a blast that day. Best day of the trip.

maui is great! went 2 years ago and had a blast. make sure you check out the rainforest and take a fishing trip too. another must is eating at lulu's cafe. just ask around and you'll find it! aloha bro!

Have fun Drew. I assume you're taking Robin with you.

Id post up in the off-topic thread or http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=236 to get some Hawaiian eyeballs on it. Which chapter does Hawaii belong to anyway? :)

I've claimed Hawaii for the MWC, years ago :D

There are very few legal wheeling areas on Maui. The La Perouse bay area had a 4wd trail that was fun, but it was closed last time we were there. There were a couple places on the north end of west Maui, and a couple roads off the Hana hwy. And a few places off the hwy along the south end of east Maui.

We've always rented from Adventures Rent-A-Jeep because they're ok with off-highway use, unlike the regular rental companies. And driving a beater jeep doesn't scream tourist like a shiny new wrangler.
http://www.mauijeeprentalhi.com/

This one didn't have working 4wd

so we traded it for this one

This one another year

This was the best one ever

We tried to get that one last time but it sounded like someone was living in it, so we got stuck with a ZJ

And the guide book you want is Maui Revealed

http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270170082&sr=8-1

As someone else mentioned, the south end of the Big Island has some fun wheeling, and there are other fun spots on that island. The Mauna Kea access road circles the mountain at between 7-9,000 feet, and at times looks like you're on another planet.

And I'll also second not leaving any valuables in the vehicle, and leave it unlocked so nobody breaks a window just to see what's inside, especially if you're parking in any out of the way places.

We have a timeshare in Kahana, right down the street from the Maui Brewing Company, but will probably be exchanging for something on the Big Isalnd next year.

If you want to see some pics, I have a bunch here
http://community.webshots.com/user/lesslimited

Hope this helps, have fun!

:cheers:

yeah i have to say i found some pretty amazing wheeling on Maui!
n595364047_1480200_6402.jpg

next to the blow hole on east side
n595364047_1480227_2891.jpg

n595364047_1480226_1962.jpg

lava flows on the south side
n595364047_1480228_3795.jpg

even took it for a swim
10635_144326389047_595364047_3439612_1268655_n.jpg

and the north shore looking out at "jaws"
10635_144326379047_595364047_3439610_5825158_n.jpg

must be one of those jeep things

have fun and go exploring.maui is like one big off-road park with trails scattered around everywhere!

Dont forget to go snorkeling off black rock. Last time I was there a turtle about the size of a volkswagen swam about 10 ft under me.

Back