• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HEADERS?!?

I've been running a Banks header (hot jet coated) for 3 or so years without any issues.
How many miles has that been, though? I know you have ridiculously low miles as it it.

Down the road, I will be attempting to build a set of torque tuned headers for our rigs. I am looking to use 1.25" primaries in a 33" to 35" length. I am also looking into a 180 degree header scheme. That would require 1 and 6 tied together, 2 and 5 together and 3 and 4 tied in. I have ran the numbers through my spreadsheet and it looks like with a 1.5" two to one collector then running 8" to 10" of pipe to the 2.5" three to one, it would put the max torque a 2200rpm to 2500rpm. It has been quite some time since I built these things (I did a ton of Triumphs, both 4 and 6 cylinders in the day) and am looking to take a try at it. It will, of course, be chassis dyno'd. A great deal depends on my health as some days I do not get out of the house. I have access to a professional Welder here to assemble the prototypes he part times at BoostecUS to weld the Deloren SC kits together.

And no, they will not fit into a stock suspension. First blush says 4" minimum lift. Still researching options. Flat collector maybe? I would really appreciate input as to where you all think the torque curve should top out. It changes the lengths. The "problem" with the current headers is that they are designed to fit the stock exhaust in a stock vehicle. This hampers the effectiveness of the header insofar as extracting the exhaust. I am looking at late model ODBII heads only. No offense meant Renix guys...

what do you guys think of this one:

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/...de=CP&Product_Code=57-2015&Category_Code=J258

I was thinking of using that for a "true" dual exhaust--- 2" custom down pipes and use this for the cat:

http://www.race-mart.com/MagnaFlow_49_State_Converter-MGS-94038.html

and this for the muffler:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17552/10002/-1?parentProductId=760549.

I am putting this set up on a 4.7 long rod stroker I am in the process of building...
What do you think? Overkill? I am going to spray the stroker with a 50 shot when all is said and done...

I was thinking that the integrated "x" in the muffler would create vacuum and increase torque??? with the bends in a dual 2 inch pipes I would really only net 3.5 total.
'splian why this would be a bad thing.

I was thinking that the integrated "x" in the muffler would create vacuum and increase torque??? with the bends in a dual 2 inch pipes I would really only net 3.5 total.
'splian why this would be a bad thing.

You can get an x pipe if you put a mustang engine in there. :D IMO, for a stock stroke 4.0, 2.5 inch exhaust with 2.25 tail pipe to keep up the exhaust velocity and 2.5 inch all the way for a N/A stroker.

A couple years ago there was a guy here named purplecherokee who ran Clifford headers to two 2 1/8" pipes, dual resonators, no cats, and a dual in/out X-pipe muffler. I liked the setup, but not the way he dumped it 90* in front of the passenger rear tire(too sharp a turn imo and I prefer it out the back). Anyhow my 95 m3 w/ 3.0 i-6 has dual 2.25" exhaust. Granted it can rev up to 7K, but I think Jeeps can also benefit from a well designed dual system. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=948682&highlight=purplecherokee+dual&page=11

I am looking at picking up a set of Rugged Ridge headers to install when I do my 99+ IM swap, as well as a few other upgrades in that area. I have helped two members in my area install this header on their XJ's and there was a noticable difference in performance, and install wasn't at all a PITA..

Thanks for the link Gradon-- looks like there's quite an argument over this issue on that thread... as for me I think I'm going to do it... #1 because I can #2 because it would just be cool... I don't think it will HURT....

Come on Talyn, you know you miss the excitement he brought you.
I haven't seen your boy project in a while either.

I'm using the Thorley headers on a 99 engine in a 91 heep

Thorley_Headers.sized.jpg

Thorley_Headers_Installed.sized.jpg

Wonderful so far

How's it holding up?

I've had my Throley (same as ehall's) since the 4.0L. Many years and its been holding up great. Since 2005 and 50,000 miles. Their coating isn't worth a crap though, and their support is less than stellar.

Back