• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Swap Write Up

The bolts that attach the manifold to the head are 3/8" UNC 1-1/4" long hex head set screws. The two nuts on the studs at each end of the head are 3/8" UNF.

how in the hell do you get to the bolts underneath the manifold!!>?? grrr! it is super tight and very frustrating....!!!!

i am just complaining i have 4 left and taking a vent break

I found it useful to use a dog bone and a ratchet. Or you can double stack a stubbie wrench and a full size wrench, but the angles would be limited on that.

man i just got done with my banks and it is a rough install... i had to fight this install it was pretty tough... plus how in the heck to you tighten the two middle bolts after putting the manifold on the fingertight? the tubing allows no room what so ever this was very frustrating... cant wait to drive it tomorow... oh yeah and extensions for the sockets saved my life man it was not easy getting all those bolts now i know why people call for a double jointed midget to reach all those bolts... great write up thanks!

WHERE DID THE BLASTED PICS FROM THE ORIGIONAL WRITE-UP GO D*NMIT!?? I'M DOING THIS TOMORROW FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD AND THEY WERE HERE LIKE 3 DAYS AGO...

This seems to be happening with a lot of the good write-ups, anybody know why? C'mon NAXJA...

citizenatlarge said:
WHERE DID THE BLASTED PICS FROM THE ORIGIONAL WRITE-UP GO D*NMIT!?? I'M DOING THIS TOMORROW FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD AND THEY WERE HERE LIKE 3 DAYS AGO...

This seems to be happening with a lot of the good write-ups, anybody know why? C'mon NAXJA...

:rattle: :rattle: :rattle:

citizenatlarge said:

huh...?

Become a paying member and you can see them

:D

fototime was down for updating last night......its alright man, I don't delete my photos. If you ever need any, just pm me. Hell, that works most of the time anyhow, just pm the guys who write up the thread. Don't stress man.

Thanks guy, I didn't mean to come off as a d*ck or anything, just a little cramped for time and your write-up here is top-notch. A little stress over possibly losing great info isn't undo, but sure, I'll pm now. Thanks again...

No biggie, good luck with the swap, post up if you have any questions.

53guy said:
Yeah, that was her. She protested me putting any other pictures in the write up because she said her hair looked bad. Whatever =) So all the arms and legs you see are her's. I think Pacesetter makes a header for that renix you have, but don't quote me on it. Hell, if you want the one off the rolled 87, its yours, just go pull it off (out in Goochland). Anyhow, yeah, I'll give ya a hand any time with the swap. Its really pretty easy, it just takes a few hours and you've got a quiet motor. I almost gurauntee your lead is from the exhaust manifold though.

Does that offer apply to anyone ??????????? And what else off the 87 is useable ??? :greensmok

What are you looking for off of it? It's been sitting outside in the rain and stuff for the better part of a year now with the top cut off. It's got nothing special in it, just let me know and I'll see if it's still there.

installing apn header with 99+ intake had some questions about the write up.

does the doughnut need to be replaced? if so where do you get it/how much?

some people say to use antiseize and others locktite, seems contradicting whats better?

does the auto parts store know what bolts you need or could someone tell me?

i've heard mixed responses on these two manifolds fitting, some say you need to grind, others say it fits anyone know for sure?

(98 4.0L HO)

miketyson said:
installing apn header with 99+ intake had some questions about the write up.

does the doughnut need to be replaced? if so where do you get it/how much? As cheap as it is, go ahead and replace it, they should be under $5 at your local parts store. Also take a look at the header you are putting on, if it is aftermarket, some of them dont use the stock type doughnut.

some people say to use antiseize and others locktite, seems contradicting whats better?
Blue locktite on the head bolts to keep them from backing out. They are not getting torqued to very much, like 23 lbs max, so they will try to back out over time with the motor vibes. Use antisize on the doughnut or colector bolts if you want, will make it easier for next time you have to replace the doughnut.

does the auto parts store know what bolts you need or could someone tell me? If you read the very beginning of this post, you will read what size the bolts are in what thread, pitch, and length.

i've heard mixed responses on these two manifolds fitting, some say you need to grind, others say it fits anyone know for sure? Depending on what your intake looks like, how the header was stamped, and how you align things makes a difference too. I have had stock headers going from one motor to anouther not want to fit between the intake ports. Just take your time and lay it all out on the bench. If you have to grind on anything, do it on the header. You should not have to grind very much if any at all.

(98 4.0L HO) Make sure you remove your power steering pump from the front of the intake, just set it where the air box you removed was. This will save you alot of time and effort. Get your self an fsm, it will give you all the torque specs and order.
oh, and have fun, remember no cursing. shit, like that will happen, but good luck and let us know how it goes.

looked the forum over again can't figure out how long the bolts are, i see the tap and die 3/8" thing if thats what you mean but how long are the bolts?

if i remember right, they are 1.5 inches long. I did not buy new ones, mine looked pretty good. I should have though, just for piece of mind. But it has been 6 months, and i put on a used header just to get me buy for a while, and they have not backed out yet.

Back