• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guys I'm a AC retard

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
Last trip to RC I unplugged my ac compressor and when I went to switch the AC on the electric fan would come on no problem. Now I plugged the AC back in because I wanted to recharge the system and the compressor wont come on anymore when I turn it on. WTF? I was told I could jump the AC compressor by hooking it up to the battery or something just to see if its still good?, and then I could add the refrigerant.

So I have two issues, basically I would like to get the AC working, and I would like to figure out how to be able to switch the E-fan on when I need it to run & I suck at electrical, so you can talk to me in dummy english.

On my 1991, when I pull the connector off the gooseneck temperature switch, the e-fan starts afer a few seconds.

Charging the AC is relatively inexpensive.
You just need to learn how the three way valves work.
On most vehicles, one can of freon is enough to get the compressor to kick in.

Exactly what stroker said, I just serviced 3 xj's ac. No or too low freon and the compressor won't cycle. Get one of the kits with a guage and 2 cans. With the engine and ac running add freon till the guage is right (pressure when compressor is running). If you have no other system issues you should get cold air.

Stop by the zone this weekend..I'll get you hooked up..Yeah, low/no freon won't tunr on the compressor..get some of that sub zero stuff and fill er up..nice and cold..u could hang meat in that jeep once it's charged up..hehe..I said hang meat.

yeah there's the wire running from the compressor clutch to a plug behind the compressor. Unplug that and there should be a single prong, connect that to the battery with a low gauge wire and it should engage the clutch and activate the compressor.

yeah there's the wire running from the compressor clutch to a plug behind the compressor. Unplug that and there should be a single prong, connect that to the battery with a low gauge wire and it should engage the clutch and activate the compressor.

I think this is what I need to do because I cant add freon if the compressor isnt running correct? Ive got the freon stuff, I just was able to add it to my truck, but I added it while the A/C & compressor were running.

Last edited:
yup, I tested mine the other day... got it charged up to around 30psi and just watched the needle go back to 0. lol

You can add freon if the compressor isn't running so long as you verify that it CAN run (hotwire the clutch temporarily), because it'll turn on when it gets full enough that it needs to turn on.

You can add freon if the compressor isn't running so long as you verify that it CAN run (hotwire the clutch temporarily), because it'll turn on when it gets full enough that it needs to turn on.

Ok when I get 5 mins I guess I got to give this a try, so if I take a wire to the pos+ battery terminal and stick it in the wiring for the compressor real quick to see if it comes on that is accepable & somewhat safe to do?

MrShaft696 said:
Guys I'm a AC retard
i didn't know you were from Atlantic City

Ok so I gave it a shot yesterday, hooked up the refrigerant to the port & a few seconds later the compressor & fan did kick on, so that is good. I didnt have a full can of refrigerant so it took all I had left and was blowing coolish air so I will get some more and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

get one of the cans with the gauge. It varies by ambient temperature, but you want the pressure to be around 45psi. Some cans have the temperature/pressure chart on the can.

When you stop in and get more freon grab a small can of the stop leak and add that first. Might be enough to slow down what ever your loss of charge issue is.

I used some last weekend, Had an o-ring leak behind clutch. Used a small can and a large 134a cannister. Was able to get the gauge to 35psi and no leaks. I need another small can of refrigerant to top it off.

Back