• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GUNS & AMMO

Hmmmm...now suppose a person had a "vehicle" that needed a long skinny oil filter. Which one is best?

Be careful with that adapter. While it's fun...I'll continue to rent legal suppresors. Why risk a felony over a novelty.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/10/24/solvent-traps-still-illegal-use-intended/
There is a company that sells the adapters with the intent of suppression. They are $75 and are require to be registered.

What I don't get is how your gun shop/firing range can rent those. If possession of a suppressor is illegal, you'll have signed a rental agreement supporting that you in fact did possess and use a suppressor. There is no federal exception for using someone else's tax stamped suppressor at a gun range....... if YOU don't have the tax stamp, seems to me the law places you in violation......? And I'd be REALLY surprised that the Feds would allow a business to acquire a tax stamp and then make money from it.

I assume you're referring to the link in that article of the man that got 2 years supervised probation for possessing a homemade silencer?

Yeah, I think he got the sentence he got because the silencer wasn't the ONLY thing he was doing illegally..........

LDWF Enforcement Division agents initiated the investigation in November of 2009 after receiving multiple tips that Roberts was illegally night hunting in the Bossier and Webster parish areas. LDWF undercover agents were able to make contact with Roberts and tag along during some of his illegal hunts and witnessed other illegal activities.

LDWF undercover agents discovered that Roberts was using a homemade silencer on a .22 caliber rifle to kill deer at night and out of season. Undercover agents witnessed Roberts hunt from a public road from his vehicle and sell deer meat. Undercover agents also purchased methamphetamines, a stolen boat motor and a rifle silencer from Roberts.

On Jan. 31, 2011, LDWF and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents executed a search warrant of Roberts’ residence and charged Roberts with 228 counts of illegal activities. Roberts was subsequently booked into the Bossier Max Detention Center in Bossier Parish and the Bayou Dorcheat Correctional Center in Webster Parish.

On July 12, 2011, Roberts pled guilty to the following state charges in Bossier Parish; illegal possession of stolen things, possession of drug paraphernalia, hunting with an illegal firearm, hunting deer with illegal methods, hunting and taking deer during illegal hours and hunting from a public road. Judge Ford Stinson of the 26th District Court sentenced Roberts to serve six months in jail in the Bossier Parish Jail with three months suspended, a $3,000 fine, restitution of $5,300, two years of supervised probation and a five year hunting ban.

On Aug. 5, 2011 Roberts pled guilty to the following state charges in Webster Parish; possession of drug paraphernalia, taking deer during illegal hours, possession of untagged deer, failing to maintain sex identification of deer, failing to tag deer and possession of illegally taken deer. Judge Bruce Bolin of the 26th District Court in Benton, La. Sentenced Roberts to 18 months in the Webster Parish Jail of which six months were suspended, a $3,000 fine, restitution of $5,300 and two years of supervised probation. Roberts must also forfeit his hunting privileges.

Last edited:
I guess 'technically' they aren't not in possession of the suppressor. They have the firearm and suppressor under their supervision. Might be viewed no differently than being at the range with your pal and him trying it out.

Magnum does the same thing down here -- free fully-auto and supressor rental on your birthday if you're a member. I think Mike must have it right on the supervision angle.

From what I know, if you don't have a stamp and you touch a suppressor or a fully automatic weapon, you and the rightful owner are in violation.

From what I know, if you don't have a stamp and you touch a suppressor or a fully automatic weapon, you and the rightful owner are in violation.

That's my understanding. There wasn't anything I found where the Federal law allows for "borrowing, renting, supervising" etc. It reads just like all the other laws. Owning or possessing is spelled out, but there aren't any exceptions included.

Don't ya just LOVE the bureaucracy?

No, please stop trying to lawyer and consult one.

My Stamps came in 14 September. The .22 is stupid quiet and im looking for some appropriate powder for the .308.

Troy quoted you, did i need to state it twice? If You are not an attorney feel free to stop trying to interpret the law and spreading nonsense. You are wrong, i am not a lawyer, if youd like a detailed response as to why you are wrong quoting statutes, codes, the NFA etc. Pay a lawyer.

Troy quoted you, did i need to state it twice? If You are not an attorney feel free to stop trying to interpret the law and spreading nonsense. You are wrong, i am not a lawyer, if youd like a detailed response as to why you are wrong quoting statutes, codes, the NFA etc. Pay a lawyer.

But wait, you say you are right because you paid a lawyer? :dunce:

In a law enforcement position, it is our jobs to interpret and enforce law.

Not sure how you think our jobs are done. We interpret law, we enforce law, if we are wrong it gets thrown out in court.

Whoa whoa. Keep the panties out the butt crack ladies.

If there is anyone with a trust or stamp currently, I think your knowledge would be overwhelmingly useful.

I have a trust and stamps, anyone can use my suppressors in my presence. Just like i can go rent a machine gun or suppressor that isnt mine at a range without fear of reprisal....that is apparently unless time2getdirty is there.

There are exactly zero prosecutions for touching someone elses suppressor and its for a reason.

In addition "possession" has been clarified in a letter by the state AG in regards to the recent magazine ban.

If you have questions, and you are LEO, raise them with your supervisor and/or prosecutor....consulting a lawyer will cost you zero.

That makes sense, bourbon, which is why I must assume its wrong (gov't regs rarely make sense)... :eyes:

I kid -- what bourbon is saying, and what the two largest for-profit ranges in Co. Springs are doing, must come under the advice of a lawyer with more knowledge in this arena than me. These guys aren't risking their multi-million dollar investments on speculative law interpretations... I've merely read the 2nd amendment. :dunce:

My "challenge" of the owns / possesses part of the law was simply to bring to light the vagueness of the law.

Bourbon says that his trust / stamp regulations state that he's allowed to let others use his "controlled" weapons in his presence. I'm betting the law says nothing about the specifics of the definition of presence. Are there any words in the legalese that say you must keep these items in your sight at all times? Any definition on if they leave your sight, how far can they be removed from your area of presence? Ya dig what I'm saying? It's all interpretation.

If I responded to a shots fired call in the mountains and found one or more people legally shooting in an area that allows it, and I saw an oil filter suppressor being used..... or for that matter, an oil filter with the threaded adapter sitting among their gear. I'm not likely to do anything about it unless that person or one of the persons is prohibited to be possessing guns for one reason or another (previously convicted felon, Parolee, specified terms of a restraining order). Or if some fact was discovered that the person had the intent to commit nefarious acts using it.

It's the Oath Keeper in me. It demands common sense and discretion. It's very unfortunate that Federal law utilizes very little of those.

But again..... I don't see how it's legal for someone to possess/use a suppressor under anyone's supervision / presence when the base law governing these items vaguely but black and white states possession / ownership is strictly prohibited. It doesn't say "Unless that person has a trust or tax stamp". The law about those that have the trust or tax stamp covers it as it's intended exception, but it's not pointed to in the possession / ownership law.

Unless I'm misinterpreting something........ :looney:

Last edited:
So how does Dragonman rent out machine guns every year in full view of everyone who reads the Gazette in Colorado Springs? My kid rented a machine gun when he was 18. There are multiple gun ranges across the country that rent machine guns/automatic weapons. I find it hard to believe that it's only because law enforcement is turning their heads.

Back