• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Government Shut down - Trails Affected?

Turfzilla

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if last time we had a govmt shut down it affected federal land use? Gated areas like Sand Flats area, would it be open?

I know you guys have your big 30th coming up and I'll be out there soon also. I did not want any surprises after traveling 1500 miles to get there.

Government shutdown.

I doubt it will happen but if it does before or during the event all the national parks will be locked up. Trails going into the parks will not be able to be run. Also if you are planning to take an off day and go see canyonlands or arches you'll have to change your plans.

Just a heads up.

Does anyone know if last time we had a govmt shut down it affected federal land use? Gated areas like Sand Flats area, would it be open?

I know you guys have your big 30th coming up and I'll be out there soon also. I did not want any surprises after traveling 1500 miles to get there.

I didn't see your thread and started another.

Sand Flats is state run. It won't close. Canyonlands And Arches are national parks will however be closed....IF the shut down happened which I doubt.

I run a tight ship...

mac 'unlike washington' gyvr

Do they have gates on certain trails that are on fed land? How exactly will these trails be shut down? Seems to me that without gates and with ranger rick sitting home, they will be open. Just thinking.

Do they have gates on certain trails that are on fed land? How exactly will these trails be shut down? Seems to me that without gates and with ranger rick sitting home, they will be open. Just thinking.

I don't know of any that are being run that go through gated federal property....but I am not closely familiar with all of them. I know none of the ones I am doing are affected.

I don't know of any that are being run that go through gated federal property....but I am not closely familiar with all of them. I know none of the ones I am doing are affected.

Shaffer trail and Elephant hill are the only two that would be affected. Both are being run on Saturday.

Not sure about a gate on Shaffer other than you come out through the main gate on the Island of the Sky road in Canyonlands.

Elephant Hill is defiantly out if they shut down. You enter and exit through the main gate in the Needles area.

I'm leading Elephant Hill on Sat. If it looks like they are shutting down, we will just make other plans or run another trail.

So the FCC won't be checking ham licenses...errr teaching a class?

mac 'jeep Mecca = Moab!' gyvr

SPoke with local tourism this am. She said all BLM land would still be usable for 4x4, biking, hiking ect... Even Fed Camp grounds would be open with no service to bathrooms, trash ect.. Bring your own TP and trash bags.

From the BLM contingency plan posted 27 Sept:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf

Visitor Management: The BLM will close and secure visitor centers and facilities on public
lands. Visitor activities that require a permit may be canceled or postponed. Contracted
operations such as trash collection and toilet cleaning will be suspended. If practical, areas will
be posted with signs that state that no patrols, maintenance or other management activities will
be provided including emergency or rescue services provided by BLM.

Special Recreation Permit Authorizations and Concession Leases
Commercial, competitive, and group authorization for events and activities --Concessions and
some commercial outfitter and guide special recreation permits can continue operations as long
as they do not need BLM field monitoring and regulatory oversight in the short term, and are not
operating in sites that have been closed. No new activities or launches will occur unless they
meet the exceptions discussed above. New permit applications, modifications and renewals will
not be received or processed. However, cost recovery events scheduled within 48 hours of the
onset of the shutdown, which would pay BLM staff salary, will be allowed to proceed. Other
events scheduled to occur during the government shutdown will be canceled, postponed, or
suspended. Vendors’ operations will be suspended. Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Individual permits in special areas- No new entries or activities will be allowed at the time of the
shutdown. Use of permitted areas should be ended as soon as practical, and no longer than
within 48 hours of shutdown, such as at Long Term Visitor Areas or Aravaipa Canyon.

Consistent with guidance in OMB Circular A-11, the number of employees who will be retained
as “excepted” (i.e., not furloughed) is 600. These FTE fall under the following categories:
• Those employees who are engaged in law enforcement: BLM will maintain 300 Law
Enforcement officers and associated support (for example, dispatch);
• Those employees who are needed to protect life and property and are not otherwise exempt.
The BLM will maintain:
o 10 in the Washington Office for leadership in overseeing excepted activities, budget, and
communications,
o 20 at the National Operations Center for bureau-wide Finance/acquisition and IT systems
support for excepted activities,
o 170 to respond to emergencies involving safety of human life and protection of property
across the States.
o 100 for maintaining helium operations, management of the Alaska pipeline, Rights of
Way contracts, and the management of wild horse and burro holding facilities.

From the National Park Service contingency plan, same date:

http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-contingency-plan.pdf

As stated in its original authorizing legislation, the National Park Service mission is to “preserve
unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the national park system for the
enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.”
Effective immediately upon a lapse in appropriations, the National Park Service will take all
necessary steps to close and secure national park facilities and groundsin order to suspend all
activities except for those that are essential to respond to emergencies involving the safety of
human life or the protection of property. Day use visitors will be instructed to leave the park
immediately as part of Phase 1 closures. Visitors utilizing overnight concession
accommodations and campgrounds will be notified to make alternate arrangements and depart
the park as part of Phase 2. Wherever possible, park roads will be closed and access will be
denied. National and regional offices and support centers will be closed and secured, except
where they are needed to support excepted personnel. These steps will be enacted as quickly as
possible while still ensuring visitor and employee safety as well as the integrity of park
resources.
The shutdown process will take place in two phases. Phase 1 includes all activities to notify the
public of the closure, secure government records and property, and begin winding down
operations to essential activities only. Phase 1 will take place over a day and a half. Phase 2 will
be initiated by the Director and includes the complete shutdown of all concession facilities and
commercial visitor services. Overnight visitors will be given two days to make alternate
arrangements and depart the parks. At the end of Phase 2 operations are expected to be at the
minimum levels defined below. The entire closure process – both phases – will be completed
within four days.

Sounds like we are still good then. I never even considered the permit for the whole event being in jeopardy. I knew that the blm wouldn't shut trails down.

Looks like we need to find alt trails for Elephant Hill and Shaffer trail.

Back