• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gonna cut the quarters

flingshot

NAXJA Forum User
Well since I am swapping bumpers, I decided to go ahead and do the cut and fold mod on my quarters so I can add the quarter protection to the bumper before i get it all bolted up.
I have read all the threads, I was just wondering if any of you that have done it have any pointers for me. (besides don't do it)
I need to take some time and clean up my rear fender trimming as well.
I plan to wake up the neighbors with power tools at about 8:30 am.
Ha ha!

first give it a day or so before getting upset. Next is make sure you want to do it. then get tape for the front so when you cut the paint wont crack and break off. Next get something on them so they wont cut into the tire. for the back make a lot of cuts so the rear looks rounded. Then what I did was put putty up in the wheel well so that it still looks factory and smooth. Go slow and grind and paint so no rust.

Thats a wonderful article but I am cutting my quarter panels not trimming my fenders. My fenders have been trimmed for over a year now. Lol!
I was looking for tips on folding, sealing, rivets, etc.
This bumper I bought is going to require a ton of work to get it the way I want it so I scrapped the quarter panel cutting until I return from my trip next week.

LOL...... no one paying attention to ya Scott? Apparently "gonna cut the quarters" isn't descriptive enough........ :laugh:

You've seen the write up that has the photos posted on where to cut and where to fold and all that right?

I used that write up (originally done by Justin (freerider15) years ago on HeepII and it worked nicely. The only issue I had was my fenders had been trimmed, welded and bondo'd by the previous owner, so I ended up having to cut and rivet in some filler panels. Justin's process works well with un-modified fender edges.

If you need the pics, I can re-post 'em here. I have 'em saved.

?? You talking about 53guy's wife? Or did I miss a pic in there somewhere... :eek:

Jim

Back