• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goferit Offroad Flip Inserts Question

I guess I'm missing the original poster's question.

I ran 15x7 rims with 4.5 back spacing. That's as much as you can get.

Did the flip with Gopherit inserts. Had ZERO problems. I used a YJ steering and found a V8 ZJ tie rod (solid bar), shortened it and it worked fine.

jy-zj1.JPG

I run 15x7 3.25 backspace and I don't have a problem... it's close but no problem.

He's running a stock 15" wheel. He wants to know if THAT will work.

I'm running 5x? steelies. As you can see in my first picture, the clearance looks to be a little less than what I have on the bottom of the knuckle.

Judging from your picture, it looks as though your knuckle is higher than mine to begin with. Mine sits about even with my u-joint, and yours looks like it's a little higher. Could be the angle of the shot though...

EDIT: I will have the Jeep on the lift this weekend, and am planning on doing axle seals and bearings anyway, so it will be a good time to figure out exactly what I have for rim size and backspacing.

Damn... Just realized that I have the flip kit, and Im going back to 15 inch AL rims. Im running moabs, but I was planning on going to ecco's. Fun.

Anybody heard from Goferit lately? Called, and emailed still no response.

I bought an insert through paypal on the first of the month. Didn't hear from them and emailed em a few days ago. Got no response, but I did get the insert in the mail yesterday.

I had a hell of a time getting one. Calls, emails, nothing.

I ended up getting mine from a member on here, and paid him back.

weird. when i ordered mine i called them up, got an answer right then and there and it showed up not too long after that.

I know it's been a while, but I still have my set, unused, I'd let them go if anyone is interested. I think they are $18 each new, I'd sell them for $15 each and I will even ship them for you.

Let me know by PM if interested!
Thanks

I know it's been a while, but I still have my set, unused, I'd let them go if anyone is interested. I think they are $18 each new, I'd sell them for $15 each and I will even ship them for you.

Let me know by PM if interested!
Thanks

I just installed a new insert a couple days back and decided to check their website for install instructions. My thinking was that you just hammer it in and your good to go but I figured I should double check. I'm glad I did because their instructions state that you need to weld the insert in. I don't have a welder and did not do that yet. For those of you that did go with these inserts; did you weld them in? If not, any issues?

i ran mine without being welded for a little bit, had no issues. dont see why there would be, as long as the hole you drilled isnt extremely wallowed out and the insert is a snug fit. but i did eventually have a few tacks put on. and i would HIGHLY recommend ditching the nut that came with the inserts and using a standard castle nut and cotter pin. that or loctite the provided nut on the TRE with some blue loctite.

i ran mine without being welded for a little bit, had no issues. dont see why there would be, as long as the hole you drilled isnt extremely wallowed out and the insert is a snug fit. but i did eventually have a few tacks put on. and i would HIGHLY recommend ditching the nut that came with the inserts and using a standard castle nut and cotter pin. that or loctite the provided nut on the TRE with some blue loctite.

I didn't use the provided nut either, I went with the castle nut and pin. But after I installed it I found a serious problem. The castle nut is just about the same diameter as the insert. That means that there isn't much keeping the insert from popping out the top. I realized that as I cranked the nut tight it was only pushing against the insert and nothing else.I decided to add a washer between the steering knuckle and castle nut to ensure the insert couldn't work it's way up and out. I will probably add a few tack welds to the top of the insert eventually to keep it from spinning once I find someone with a welder.

well the hole in the knuckle is 3/4". is the castle nut not any bigger?

It's about the same size, which is why there is a serious problem. the outer points of the nut go out to the edge of the insert but don't go out onto the knuckle. The provided nut has an attached flange that widens it's base to almost an inch but a standard castle nut does not have that. I hope the addition of a washer does not cause some unforseen issue. I can't see why it would.

The provided nut has distorted threads, so I highly doubt it'll come off any time soon. I had a hard time even getting mine fully tight with an impact because the TRE stud kept spinning.

i tightened the supplied nut to the stock spec and it came off while driving after one wheeling trip. i had never had a castle nut work its way loose.

edit: im not saying it WILL happen, but it can. i may have had a freak occurance. loctice would be a good idea when using their supplied nut

Last edited:
If it's castelated, why not drill a small hole in your bolt and run a cotter pin?

As for welding the insert in, it only makes sense. When it comes to steering, I want a backup for my backup. Airbags are fun, but moderation is key!

Back