• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearwrench or craftsman ratcheting wrenchs

does anyone have any experience with the sloppy ratcheting effect from craftsman??
why wouldn't the craftsman wrenchs be a bit tighter and more "precise feeling" like 5 degree motion instead of maybe 15 degrees as it is now...

You had to be looking at the non polished ones. I saw them back when gear wrench wasnt lifetime warranty, and the craftsman was sloppy and felt like there was sand in the mechanism.

I my ex got me a set of these a few years back :
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=crossforce&x=0&y=0&vName=Tools

Love em! I dont typically carrry a socket set anymore.

Fwiw, I also have a standard set of GW, and a metric set of stubby GW. Also great tools, but I havent had to return one yet.

Has anyone warrantied gear wrench at sears before? I have done it before but when I went in two warranty another one they wouldn't do it? Did they mess up the first time or did they change policy.

I have had great luck with gearwrench, I have broken two over the last 10 years but I can't say I always use them as directed.

EVERY toolbox should at least have a 5/16" ratcheting box end for the driveshaft bolts on the t-case side!

think im going to go with these two sets...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...chets+&+Sockets&sName=Combination+Wrench+Sets

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...chets+&+Sockets&sName=Combination+Wrench+Sets

and then later on get the 9mm 11mm and 16mm to "complete" the metric sizes... (have another gift card for menards to get them...)

I think after thinking about it i am going to go with quality over an easier warranty... i dont wrench all that often and dont plan on breaking one and if i do i have other wrenches to use until i get my new gearwrench back... they seem to be better quality so i shouldn't have to worry about that right? Plus for the budget i am willing to spend i can get a better quality full polished wrench set for cheaper...

Thanks for your input im not totally 100% sold on them quite yet but the more i think about it i think i would rather have better quality for the price... with basically the same warrenty... (plus others have indicated that if you want to get it replaced on the spot ace,lowes, and maybe a few others replace them no questions asked...

Thanks once again guys!

hey, as long as your not doing something to technical or using them daily then crapsman is okay...but being a mechanic you can not beat the gearwrench brand, to me I don't skimp out on shit that tends to break frequently. So I stay away from just about anything craftsman that has moving parts. Also, craftsman tools are very uncomfortable to use and are hard on the hands.

I have a set of stubby ratcheting gear wrenches, and a set of craftsman reversible ratcheting wrenches. They are both fine, but I like the fact that the craftsmans are reversible with the lever, more convienient and you dont have to remove the wrench from the bolt or nut to turn it the other way.

I might shy away from the straight box end- I like the flex/offset ends- easier to get at fasteners in tight quarters, and fewer bloody knuckles.

I own both Snap-On and the Gear Wrench. The reversible lever is a pain the the ass on the Snap-On, it gets hit all the time, with the gear wrench you just use it with no issues. Most of my Techs who use them all day prefer the Gear Wrench.

I might shy away from the straight box end- I like the flex/offset ends- easier to get at fasteners in tight quarters, and fewer bloody knuckles.

ABSOLUTELY! The flat ones are only good in a few instances. Offset is the way to go. I bought a set of the flat ones for work and gave them away. Worthless!

just got back...

bought the gearwrench.... got sears to match farm and fleets sale!!

and found some nice wrench roll up pouches to keep them protected..

as far as the flex head i simply done seem to need to work in tight places and dont like the fact that they might "move" as you apply force...

anyways i got the gearwrench straight non flex and am happy with the quality... and price with the extra $ saved i bought the rest of the wrenchs to "complete" the metric set...

Thanks guys!

I've had the straight, non-reversible Gear Wrench in both metric and US for about a year. They have worked good in the few times that I have used them. They are not top quality but get the job done nicely.

I've had the straight, non-reversible Gear Wrench in both metric and US for about a year. They have worked good in the few times that I have used them. They are not top quality but get the job done nicely.

not that i have used them yet but they seem to be really good quality wrenches while laying next to my craftsman wrenchs....

although they are non usa.... but they seem to be better quality... :)

but thanks for the input makes me feel better about my purchase the more i hear the good experiences!

I have a few GearWrench brand ones for important stuff... a 5/16" for CV yokes and cross shaft retainer pins, and a 9/16" for those blasted J-bolts holding up the gas tank. Made my life much easier.

I would go with whichever has a smaller diameter head, I usually end up using mine in spots with very little clearance.

EDIT: also, they seem higher quality than Craftsman stuff now. The actual ratcheting head part appears to be better quality machining, and they ratchet very nicely as others mentioned. I have HAULED on mine with a smallish cheater pipe and not broken them.

Last edited:
Back