• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear question

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
looking to find out what years/engine tranny combo came with 3.73gears in the front. if there is a thread with this already please point me in that direction. thanks guys.

3.37's came in a multitude of applications just depending on the model ordered or the customers build sheet. Some 4 bangers came with 3.73's and even some came with 4.56's. Like I said above, there is no "magic" list of just specific models that came with only 3.73's. If your curious as to know if you rig has them, read the tag on the diff cover or call the service/parts department at the stealership and give them your VIN and they can tell you what gears you have and if you have a LSD or open carrrier etc. I grabbed the VIN's off of about a half dozen XJ's at the salvage yard and called the dealership to get the ratios etc for those rigs b/c they were all sitting on the ground w/o any wheels and there was no way to get to the dif tags. The guy at the dealer ship got a little mouthy with me and asked me why he was doing this...I told him b/c it was his fawking job!

thanks amn. i know what i have but was looking into picking up a 95 explorer 8.8 w 3.73s so i would need to get matching gears for the front. i'll hunt the bone yard and look for tags.

I know that the 90' 5spds w/towing package came with 3.73, I have the LP disco front out of one in my shop now getting ready for a gear set(4.10). It will go into my 90' DD.

All 4 cyl XJ's had 4.10, thats a better gear ratio choice in my opinion and the 8.8 can be found in 4.10 as well.

xjtrailrider said:
I know that the 90' 5spds w/towing package came with 3.73, I have the LP disco front out of one in my shop now getting ready for a gear set(4.10). It will go into my 90' DD.

All 4 cyl XJ's had 4.10, thats a better gear ratio choice in my opinion and the 8.8 can be found in 4.10 as well.

Correction! the one I have is a HP, sorry for the typo

pauldo39 said:
Didn't the 4 cyl XJs with an automatic have 4.56 gears? Just to clarify for fatboy if he's looking through the junkyards

Yes, some of them came that way, but those were VERY few. I actually found a matching front and rear set at a yard in IA about a year ago. I latched onto them!

As far as scouring yards to find some 3.73's, I would check ebay. They are all over the place and cheap. I can also send you the name of a company that has factory takeoff's that they sell pretty cheap. If your interested, fire me a PM.

Back