• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest in an outdoor survival/land navigation class...

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
A couple of us have been talking about recent events where folks were essentially unprepared for their environments. Given our backgrounds in the field of survival and directional orientation, we concur that a class offered to the NWC (Members Only at this point, at least for the first class) would only make sense.

What we were thinking was basic topographic map navigation and compass reading, wilderness survival, trip preparation, handling emergencies, and having contingency plans which would be useful for wheeling, hiking, or camping.

There would be an event fee, after which would be the offer of a 72-hr survival pack and/or compass. Reason for 'offering' for sale these items is because some of us already have this gear. For those people we aim to make the block of instruction a refresher course of sorts. For the 'new' folks it would be a chance to get a great deal on some quality gear while learning how to use it at the same time. Through my research I've estimated these materials to be in the neighborhood of $50-75. We'd take preorders on these items prior to the event, where delivery would take place.

I'd like to get this going by the end of April so we can be geared up for the Spring season and have everyone safe on the trails. :)

Any takers? Perhaps to get the most of it we can have Saturday and Sunday classes to get everyone involved. For the moment we are keeping this as a Members only event with no guests for the trial run. We may open it up pending the success of the initial class.

So are you talking a Weekend Route Finding Trek though the Cascades, with some survival/first-aid mixed in?

Equipment: what does that consist of? Compass, topo, windproof lighter/matches, space blanket, signal mirror, whistle, knife, sunscreen, food and a positive atittude. Or am I off

Something I would be interested in is edible plants. I never listened when I was in Scouts. And really regret that., stuck eating bark.

I am listening

Off Topic: You ever watch Survivalman on the Science Channel. Killer show, Just don't watch the 1/2 hour version on Discovery, it horrible. Maybe we should do something like that for the final test. :) Seven days of survival with what ever you can carry in your pockets.

Last edited:
I might be interested though I don't need the instruction. I have alot of ref material as well and can provide some loaner equipment too. Where were you going to try to do this at?

XJourney said:
So are you talking a Weekend Route Finding Trek though the Cascades, with some survival/first-aid mixed in?

Equipment: what does that consist of? Compass, topo, windproof lighter/matches, space blanket, signal mirror, whistle, knife, sunscreen, food and a positive atittude. Or am I off

I am listening

Talking a one day class on each of two days. Maybe we can do an advanced class that helo-drops you into the Canadian Rockies with only a piece of dental floss and a pencil. :D I'm thinking something like a central, outdoor location would be cool so we can apply the land nav stuff in real-world. I guess we could feasibly do the two-day 'camping' deal, I was just trying to get more folks ably involved.

We'll go over other things like how to pick a good, stout, well-rounded knife and other gear. We'll go over the other stuff later on, but you've got the right idea. :)

Sweet! Count me in. I've done a survival camp once with a group of 7 when I was 14. We spent 4 days in the wilderness. I still don't know much but I love that sort of stuff.

And yeah, Survivor Man is awesome.

ECKSJAY said:
Talking a one day class on each of two days. Maybe we can do an advanced class that helo-drops you into the Canadian Rockies with only a piece of dental floss and a pencil. :D I'm thinking something like a central, outdoor location would be cool so we can apply the land nav stuff in real-world. I guess we could feasibly do the two-day 'camping' deal, I was just trying to get more folks ably involved.

We'll go over other things like how to pick a good, stout, well-rounded knife and other gear. We'll go over the other stuff later on, but you've got the right idea. :)

Is that a #2 pencil?:viking: And floss :sunshine: I could build a shelter, sew, fish, trap and have clean teeth.

Is this what you mean by a well rounded knife? Chops veggies wonderfully.:)

116_1643.jpg

Les is the man, does everything twice because of the camera gear.

Last edited:
Count me in always looking for for new information and techniques.

Still throwing around ideas like hand grenades here...

Since there seem to be a bunch of us who have prior experience with this...what about doing some sort of seminar where each person is tasked with a presentation? Then maybe a group buy on equipment?

ECKSJAY said:
You mean a chance to win a snazzy air compressor isn't a good enough reason to join immediately? ;)

Or the good benifits and discounts you get? Along with respect for being RED?

I think maybe a day or two hike out in Greenwater area, during the warmer part of the year, would be cool, after everyone has had the class. Pourposly get lost, but know where we are at, and survive for a night or two on the limited supplies we would cary. Kind of like a Survivor in a way. One or Two groups would be killer. Have a very experience survivalist in each one, so the less know how to guys/gals, have someone to learn from.

12GaugeXJ said:
Kind of like a Survivor in a way.

Yea I would be like Richard Hatch. Swinging in the wind :):moon:

12GaugeXJ said:
I think maybe a day or two hike out in Greenwater area, during the warmer part of the year, would be cool

Oh to be young and childless again....

GI-John said:
Oh to be young and childless again....

No kidding...

I was tossing around the idea in my head of going out someplace like Kanaskat-Palmer State Park and having a class one day for everyone (experienced folks get a refresher), camp overnight at our campsite(s), then have practical exercise work the next day. Not a wheeling trip, just camping so we're not worried about time constraints. There's plenty of terrain and space there to practice on... Again, just something I'm tossing in the empty space of my head. :D

ECKSJAY said:
......going out some place like Kanaskat-Palmer State Park and having a class one day for everyone.....

That would be cool also. I've never been out that way camping/hiking wise, what is it like? Just driven through. The closer the better in my opinion.

I just thought Greenwater area is a little more primitive, maybe more realistic IMHO. Where ever its held, it will still be fun. Can't wait!

12GaugeXJ said:
That would be cool also. I've never been out that way camping/hiking wise, what is it like? Just driven through. The closer the better in my opinion.

I just thought Greenwater area is a little more primitive, maybe more realistic IMHO. Where ever its held, it will still be fun. Can't wait!

Greenwater is nice and all, I'm just trying to keep things as close as possible for everyone, ya know? Plenty of us in King County, but if someone's coming from further North this would shave about 45 mins off the travel time... :) Hell, it's just an idea anyway. Trying also to consider something along the I-5 corridor. My firearms school in Onalaska has held this type of class before on their property, but this isn't really the time of year that would be possible. Too many classes going on so the ranges are live. ;)

Like alot of the otherguys, I'm always up for learning different techniques. (Oh, BTW, my name should be in RED by the end of the month, if not, the first weekend of next month) If you want, I think I've still got a power point presentation on map and compass saved on my old hard drive that I can send you.

Phil,
Sorry I am kinda late on posting on this. I wasn't all that interested at first due to my background and previous training (like many others here). But have recently put much more thought into this and think that there are some really significant ideas that should be presented.

I suspect we will find that many of us have some background in at least some of these areas to begin with, there are probably a few with very little background. My concern is that you could spend a week training properly all of these topics. And I think that for our purposes there are probably a select few that are more inportant than others.

1. If you are prepared before you leave for a trip you will significantly decrease the likelyhood of having to worry about survival. So knowing what to take on a trip is a very high priority. THis should include list of suplies to bring on variouse trips, cloths, food, tools, spare parts, equipment, someone not going that is aware of where you are and when you will be back, etc, this could also include how to secure items in a vehicle.

2. Navigation with compass and GPS. THis is a lost art that even experts could always do with a refresh.

3. Your pre-buy idea is good and for anyone interested you can still do that.

4. First aid. I believe that this is one of the only areas that a normal camping hiking wheeling trip can turn into a disaster area if not dealt with well.

5. And lastly probably one of the most usefull areas is how to deal with a situation before it gets out of hand. Particularly to wheeling recovery. Jason's situation on the snow trip is a prime example. If we had put more thought and time into the initial recovery then the situation would not have gotten worse before it got better.

For someone like myself the 1 day training is easier to schedule. Weekend of camping could work but I would have to bring my wife and kids (not a bad idea to include them in the training anyway many of us have them also and they should understand some of the items as well even if they are not on the trip). I like your idea of several of us putting together a section of the presentation to prepare, this distributes the effort and allows each of us the to provide input into each others presentations as benefit. I think that the most valuable thing for me is knowing that the people I wheel with are reasonably prepared.

I would be more than happy to help prepare any of the sessions if you like.

Michael

Back