• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging interest in a Colorado Expedition type trip

Why? Commercial camp grounds suck. No reason to use them every night. Once later in the trip to be able to take a shower would be nice, but camping along the trail is much more fun.

Agreed.

I offered up burning bear 'cause it was on the way.

I'm down to skip the camping ground and camp somewhere near the bottom side of Argentine Pass. It would save us some time that day too. On the way in we could almost set up a base camp, run the trail. Come back to camp, open the beers and start a fire.

I'm not a fan of commercial campgrounds, either. I'm assuming this is going to be the COfest trip, and COfest has always been at a commercial campground. I don't need one, I have a hot water set-up and a shower. I'll even share, you haul your own water.

It's an on-demand flow through water heater. The flowjet pump pulls 1-2 GPM. It won't pull further than the second 7 gallon tank, however, at least when the pump is at the same level as the tanks. I even have another cruder hot water set up I'd lend out, or sell if someone wants it. It's an older version of this:

http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihottaphpshower.html

If this is just being planned as a seperate trip from COfest, then whatever.

I'm not a fan of commercial campgrounds, either. I'm assuming this is going to be the COfest trip, and COfest has always been at a commercial campground. If this is just being planned as a seperate trip from COfest, then whatever.
It was not my intention to make this the Colorado Fest trip. That is under the BOD's control. This is just some guys wanting to do something different, without a ton of structure, rules, or hassle.

I personally think it's a great idea for COFest. People keep complaining about how it's always in BV and always the same. Well an expedition across the state is definitely something new.

The current BOD doesn't like the idea, so I figured I would if necessary run it by myself and see if anybody wants to tag along.

Well I'm on the BOD and I'm for it. The only other comment from a BOD member was that they didn't think it would work. I think it needs to be put to a vote.

I'm also on the BOD, and I just pointed out that we have always used commercial campgrounds. Troy doesn't count, since last we talked, he's not into the four wheeling thing anymore. That leaves El Presidente. I'm all for it if we can map and schedule it so it's realistic, which I'm not certain it is as presented, admittedly I haven't looked at a map, and if we can hit a commercial campground somewhere in the middle of the trip, along with checking on Nat. Forest sites, or BLM sites for the rest of the trip. And keep in mind, NAXJA's 15th anniversary is over the fourth in Harlan, Kentucky, and I know people that might be into this trip are already planning on it. I'm not even sure I could make this trip, since I'm going to Harlan.

The current BOD doesn't like the idea, so I figured I would if necessary run it by myself and see if anybody wants to tag along.
ya was brought up before and shot down. I think it would be better as a non sanctioned event as to keep any bs or requirements to a minimum. depending on what I replace my truck with, and the time frame I might be interested.

The biggest problem I see is that with the time frame we're looking at between Harlan, COFest, and potentially this trip is that we very well might not have a COFest. My AT is early in the year and I don't have a weekend drill scheduled for July. That means this year I'm going COFest unless I'm called up for forest fires or something. However if its between this trip and BV for a week I'm going on this trip.

I see no reason why commercial campgrounds can't be scheduled in every other day or so. As I previously stated, it would be nice to have the opportunity for a shower here and there. If we can keep that to a minimum though then it leaves room in the budget to account for the extra fuel costs of this type of trip.

As Fred stated earlier though, we need to think conservatively in scheduling. Between stopping to BS/take pictures, break downs, guiding a large group through obstacles, etc, the pace is going to be somewhat slow. Also, we'll need to account for the time needed to break down and set up camp every day/night.

I'm not sure what extra rules and BS you're referring to Mike, but if its not being in an XJ you're worried about keep in mind that I'll be in a JK.

no just how people going to a sanctioned event want things planned out, raffle, dinner, timelines etc. Its hard to have a relaxing trip when you have people wanting those kinds of things and part of the group leaving at one time, then the rest leaving at another if they leave at all kind of thing. Getting people that like to stay up til 3am drinking up to be rolling by 8 is damn near impossible, imagine if they have to pack up camp as well. wont happen. I think you would have the smallest turnout.
However, I feel like a trip like this would draw in a totally different group of folks that wouldn't likely come to cofest.

This thread has gone a long way without being hi jacked so , Tom have you finished your trailer yet ?? pictures
I have 12 days over Christmas to try and finish it.

I didn't start this thread to stir things up. It is as simple as I am going on a multiday trip. If anybody wants to tag along, fine. It will most likely be fairly unstructured and the itinerary may change on short notice depending on what we run into.

I will be running this with or without anybody else, old friends and good company are always welcome.

Sorry wasn't stirring up shit, just agreeing that its likely best left as just a run with whoever wants to join. Stars aligning right, ill be joining. I want to see more of the OTHER parts of Colorado ive been missing.

I understand that, although I myself am not one to stay up until 3am drinking either.

Back