• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster swap

Wolfman1966

NAXJA Forum User
So, 1998 Cherokee, I have the gauge cluster with the idiot lights, and would like to swap it out for one with actual gauges. At first, I heard that it was a straight swap, but recently my mechanic told me that I would have to replace the sending units too. Which one is correct? I'm hoping I can do the straight swap, because I have no idea how to replace sending units.. Lol
Thanks

So, 1998 Cherokee, I have the gauge cluster with the idiot lights, and would like to swap it out for one with actual gauges. At first, I heard that it was a straight swap, but recently my mechanic told me that I would have to replace the sending units too. Which one is correct? I'm hoping I can do the straight swap, because I have no idea how to replace sending units.. Lol
Thanks

Install it. If something doesn't work, have your mechanic point at the sensor he thinks needs to be changed.

I don't know about the later ones, but on my 95 I had to replace the temp and oil pressure senders, since they are both on/off sensors with no graduation. Voltage, no, since it reads directly from the wiring harness, and fuel no, since that's the same already.

In any case, though, you can find out quickly enough. The clusters are a direct swap, and if those two gauges don't work, it will show.

My oil pressure gage never worked after a cluster swap, always showed 10 psi. The sender or sensor remained the same though. Finally an Autometer gage and sensor took the OEs place, and work well. 1998 XJ also.

Oil pressure sender and temp sender are "on/off" switches for the idiot light cluster (think about it, it just needs to turn the light on below a certain oil pressure or above a certain temp). You'll have to swap those two to make the new cluster work right. It's not going to burn anything up or damage anything if you don't, but those two gauges won't work right until you swap.

Fuel gauge and volt meter will work just fine. The tach will also work just fine.

Oil pressure sender and temp sender are "on/off" switches for the idiot light cluster (think about it, it just needs to turn the light on below a certain oil pressure or above a certain temp). You'll have to swap those two to make the new cluster work right. It's not going to burn anything up or damage anything if you don't, but those two gauges won't work right until you swap.

Fuel gauge and volt meter will work just fine. The tach will also work just fine.

A 1998 XJ uses the three wire sensor for oil pressure, and two wire for coolant temp. Whereas the coolant temp. reads as it normally would 100*f to250*f, the oil pressure held at 10psi all driving speeds. Yes older model XJs used the on/off sensor/switch a 1998 XJ uses sensors that should give accurate reads for temp. and pressure. Your volts,fuel,tachometer speedometer, agreed will work. Must have been 10 psi as the low limit to set off the idioso beacon.

Last edited:
My 99 was just a matter of pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. record your miles though, so you know what to add or subtract. The one I got had 70K less miles then the one that came with it XJ. So, although mine reads 231K I actually have 300K miles on it. Not bad for a 4cyl version :)

I seem to remember seeing someone on NAXJA post about being able to "Fix" the odometer and if you sent one to them they would send it back with the milage you asked for....

Back