• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Garmin gps phone questions

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm trying to find some answers about the garmin gps phone T-mobile offers and the sales people are retarded.

First is can you input gps cordinates manually and use it to geocache?

Second is does it really use gps information and not need a phone signal to be accurate?

Ok I'm trying to find some answers about the garmin gps phone T-mobile offers and the sales people are retarded.

First is can you input gps cordinates manually and use it to geocache?

Second is does it really use gps information and not need a phone signal to be accurate?

If you're referring to this phone, I've played with it a bit but do not own one so take this for what it's worth.

Yes, it can be used for geocaching and supports manual coordinate entry (IIRC). Out of the box, however, it's really geared up for doing turn-by-turn navigation, which typically doesn't work well for geocaching. You'd almost certainly want to get the Groundspeak Geocaching App for it to be able to use it effectively.

The GPS function is independent of the cell network, so yes, it can be used standalone.

My personal preference is to have a separate cellphone and GPS unit - if you're using a combined item and the batteries run out, you're screwed for being able to use both devices. Similarly, with separate devices if one gets lost or broken the other one is still functional. Your call on that, but it may be worth considering.

I already have 2 older gps's one etrex and lowrance and they both work well except with out a pc I have a hard time programming them and battery life sucks. I'm looking at that phone as a primary on my quick after work trips and if I see something cool while riding our horses or on trails where I don't need a gps as guidance as much as to report problems on the trail to usfs or blm the older gps's load slow and are useless in a emergency.

I already have 2 older gps's one etrex and lowrance and they both work well except with out a pc I have a hard time programming them and battery life sucks.

Can't speak as to the Lowrance, but I've had two eTrexes (the basic yellow one and a black-and-white display Legend) over the years and I can say that while they're not bad at what they do, the fiddliness and short battery life are pretty common to the eTrex range. Not much that can be done about the former other than upgrading, but they do much better on the latter if you use 2500mAh Ni-MH rechargeables. Alkalines and Ni-Cd batteries just don't make sense in them.

I'm looking at that phone as a primary on my quick after work trips and if I see something cool while riding our horses or on trails where I don't need a gps as guidance as much as to report problems on the trail to usfs or blm the older gps's load slow and are useless in a emergency.

For something like that, it would likely be OK. But I'll reiterate that out of the box it seemed heavily oriented towards doing turn-by-turn traffic, which typically doesn't work as well for trail use. Granted, there's probably something in the Android Market that would give you the functionality you're looking for - but I really can't advise on what would be best for that as I don't run Android full-time at the moment.

Ya I got those they helped a bit but some pixles on the screens are out and they loose the signal constantly so I'm hoping by spring to buy a real gps that I want probably in the higher end lowrances but for now I just need to keep something I can use and depend on when its needed in a pinch plus I want to get away from crackberry

Well I picked up a asus Friday. The navigation is good gps is extreamly fast and accurate. I got the geocache app and its integration to the unit is good. Added a topo app and between the 3 options I'm very happy. Granted its been only a few days but it is leaps ahead of my old blackberry.

Back